Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 08:29 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,337,451 times

Advertisements

As a 10th generation Kentuckian your post hardly impresses me lol. My first Kentuckian ancestors settled at Ruddles Mill in Bourbon Co in 1774, coming from a French Huguenot settlement near Richmond VA. A British general commanding a band of Shawnee warriors attacked their settlement - as it was illegal, being west of the East Coast Continental Divide - and my oldest ancestor was killed. His daughter and granddaughter (my ancestors) spent a few years as POWs in British Detroit.

Anyhoo, you should feel at home in Louisville as their are tons of in state transplants here from Owensboro and also the Marion Co area. Just driving around Louisville I see Daviess County tags everywhere. Louisville's greatest sphere of influence in the state seems to go from Henderson down to Bowling Green over to Russell Springs (where I lived as a child) and up US 127 to Frankfort. I see county tags from all over the state but those areas have the strongest pull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 10:32 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,229,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
As a 10th generation Kentuckian your post hardly impresses me lol. My first Kentuckian ancestors settled at Ruddles Mill in Bourbon Co in 1774, coming from a French Huguenot settlement near Richmond VA. A British general commanding a band of Shawnee warriors attacked their settlement - as it was illegal, being west of the East Coast Continental Divide - and my oldest ancestor was killed. His daughter and granddaughter (my ancestors) spent a few years as POWs in British Detroit.

Anyhow, you should feel at home in Louisville as their are tons of in state transplants here from Owensboro and also the Marion Co area. Just driving around Louisville I see Daviess County tags everywhere. Louisville's greatest sphere of influence in the state seems to go from Henderson down to Bowling Green over to Russell Springs (where I lived as a child) and up US 127 to Frankfort. I see county tags from all over the state but those areas have the strongest pull.
So lot's of transplanted western and southern Kentuckians in Louisville then? Interesting, I wasn't aware of that, or should I say, I knew they were transplanted Kentuckians but I figured mostly from Louisvilles outlying areas more than necessarily other parts of the state...

Last edited by EricOldTime; 07-21-2014 at 11:09 AM..

Old 07-28-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie Birkhead View Post
Take a look in those areas. They are both close to Cherokee Park and Riverfront Park. Mins from downtown and no highways involved.
What about this area of Louisville? It's called "Downs Lane" I mean it's quaint with small older homes. My wife and I don't mind living in an older neighborhood with smaller homes as long as the neighborhood's safe and the houses are fairly well kept up. we're pretty open minded...http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/40...-propalert-hdp

But I know how it is, looks can be deceiving. we also checked out the Fairdale area and Heritage Creek, seems it kind of depends on the neighborhood so me houses very reasonable, some outrageous. I'm surprised by the amount of foreclosures I'm seeing also......it's sad. I can't move into a foreclosed home, won't do it, I just don't feel right about that...

we also checked out the Middletown/Lyndon area just above St Matthews, has some nice spots but also some half million dollar homes as well......

Old 07-28-2014, 04:00 PM

I'd avoid that area west of the airport. Some OK areas but some worse areas too. The apartments along Strawberry Ln rarely go more than a few months w/o a murder

If you want that price range I'd recommend looking East of U of L along Eastern Pky (Germantown, Audubon Park, etc) or further west on the South End like Auburndale, 3rd St Rd, etc.

Though it pains me to mention it that Other State has more affordable homes in safe areas LOL. My wife is from Southern Indiana and we almost bought a house in New Albany. The public schools in New Albany / Clarksville / Jeffersonville are pretty bad but you can get way more house for the money over there than on the KY side. Though it is technically Indiana that are is just about as Southern in culture as Louisville. There are tons of Eastern KY people still living over there too. Almost everyone in my wife's hometown of Pekin is from Letcher Co in E KY
I was also looking to find an affordable home somewhere, decided to stay at my apartment another year and then look to buy again or at least rent in a cheaper area. Rent throughout the eastern half of Louisville is starting to get ridiculous.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I'd avoid that area west of the airport. Some OK areas but some worse areas too. The apartments along Strawberry Ln rarely go more than a few months w/o a murder

If you want that price range I'd recommend looking East of U of L along Eastern Pky (Germantown, Audubon Park, etc) or further west on the South End like Auburndale, 3rd St Rd, etc.

Though it pains me to mention it that Other State has more affordable homes in safe areas LOL. My wife is from Southern Indiana and we almost bought a house in New Albany. The public schools in New Albany / Clarksville / Jeffersonville are pretty bad but you can get way more house for the money over there than on the KY side. Though it is technically Indiana that are is just about as Southern in culture as Louisville. There are tons of Eastern KY people still living over there too. Almost everyone in my wife's hometown of Pekin is from Letcher Co in E KY
I was also looking to find an affordable home somewhere, decided to stay at my apartment another year and then look to buy again or at least rent in a cheaper area. Rent throughout the eastern half of Louisville is starting to get ridiculous.
rent seems to be rediculous throughout most of Louisville LOL

Old 07-28-2014, 04:15 PM

I first moved here in 2002. I moved to the exact same apartment complex when I moved back in 2012.

In 2002 a one bedroom went for $450. Now I pay $615 for a one bedroom. And for Lyndon that's actually a good deal. I rented a studio in the Highlands (pretty modest apartment but still in the Highlands) for $375 including all utilities in 2004. Good look finding something that cheap now in Smoketown lol. There is a new apartment complex across the street here in Lyndon that asks $800 for a one bedroom. Unless that comes with a French maid and personal Chinese chef that seems outrageous to me. A few years ago I couldn't believe my family in Philadelphia had to pay $800 a month for an old 2 bedroom apt. Now that's average in East Louisville

I work off Linn Station / Hurstbourne. The reality is that cheap housing in a safe area will be 15 to 20 miles from my job.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:17 PM

Home - Portland Christian School: Christian Education Since 1924

My wife and I have been researching this christian school. It's called "Portland Christian School" its located on the upper NE side above St Matthews. Anybody know of or have heard of this private school? It gets 5 stars....
Its at 8509 Westport Rd, Louisville...

Old 07-30-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Home - Portland Christian School: Christian Education Since 1924

My wife and I have been researching this christian school. It's called "Portland Christian School" its located on the upper NE side above St Matthews. Anybody know of or have heard of this private school? It gets 5 stars....
Its at 8509 Westport Rd, Louisville...
All I know is the original campus is still located in the Portland neighborhood which is a low income high crime White neighborhood on the West End. They have since opened up campuses in safer areas. I'm sure it's protestant in affiliation. Beyond that I myself don't have any info

Old 07-30-2014, 07:17 AM

It could be involved in Missions originally in that area...

Old 07-30-2014, 09:37 AM

14 posts, read 30,394 times
No NO no ON the downs lane house.
Are you interested in renting before you buy?? If so here are some I found on zillow rentals that are really good areas.

I found a few others ... Let me know if you want me to post them.

The Audubon pk condo is amazing and the house in prospect is in the Oldham Co school district and they are better than our private schools. Oldham Co schools are one of the Top of the nations public schools.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Louisville from Argentina next year-image.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area