Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 12:43 AM

7,060 posts, read 16,635,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure. I hope within the next few years. My wife's visa application was only recently accepted for review so we'll see how long it takes, could be a year. We have until May of 2015 before we have to be out of our house, we don't want to reknew. My wife and I are starting over from scratch, leaving everything here and heading to the US. At first we'll stay at my moms in central florida I guess until we can get on our feet....unless if we find jobs in Louisville first. My moms retiring next year and wants to head back to Kentucky and she's interested in coming to Louisville with us, also she wants to be close to her grandbaby ( my son ) and her brothers and sisters in western Ky. For my wife this move is HUGE! She'll be 40 this month and we only 3 blocks from where she was born and raised. She's been to the US twice and Kentucky once, so it's gonna be a huge culture shock for her!

She was born and raised in the hills out in the country but said shes grown to like the quiet suburban life these days so Louisville is appealing to her. Even so, we are only an hour or so away from the Owensboro area where my mom and all my family is from. So, for us, Louisville offers the best compromise for everyone involved.

Me, I'm about as Kentuckian as they come with who I am, kind of a country boy, and I play Fiddle, Mandolin and Banjo. So friday and Saturday picking, parking lot jamz, bluegrass, folk music folks will be a must and Louisville "seems" to have a good Bluegrass music community.....at least I know it did at one time. Also I like fishing, camping and even hutning at one time..

I could live in the middle of nowhere in Bullit or Shelby counties on about 5 acres, but my wife won't have it. So, like everything in life it's a compromise, that's why we've chosen Louisville.
I think Louisville is a great fit for you all, and your wife will love it. I have lived all over the country, and I regularly travel to every major city just about. I would take Louisville over almost anywhere save for a few places.

Don't fall into the Central FL trap. I have been staying in Central FL and it is a complete mess...bad traffic, rising crime, homeless children, I-4 about to be a mess, and still rapid growth of people thinking it is the "promised land." There are many areas with much better food, culture, and quality of life. Central FL is great for a yearly vacation for a week, and then get the heck out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 06:51 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,229,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I think Louisville is a great fit for you all, and your wife will love it. I have lived all over the country, and I regularly travel to every major city just about. I would take Louisville over almost anywhere save for a few places.

Don't fall into the Central FL trap. I have been staying in Central FL and it is a complete mess...bad traffic, rising crime, homeless children, I-4 about to be a mess, and still rapid growth of people thinking it is the "promised land." There are many areas with much better food, culture, and quality of life. Central FL is great for a yearly vacation for a week, and then get the heck out.
No, we hate Florida, my mom included, she can't wait to get out of there and head back to Kentucky. The only reason why we ended up moving their was because of my dad, who is sadly deceased.

My wife hasn't visited Louisville yet, but I've told her alot about it, besides, we've both researched ( and are still researching ) alot about the city and I think we'll be happy there. Besides, I'll be close to my mom, because she's coming and also my grandmother and family is all only an hour away in the O'Boro area, and I do have 2 cousins and 1 aunt living in Louisville as well...soo al that's important to me as well.

The more she reads about it, the more she likes it. She has 2 college degrees in education and psychology and she's interested in doing anything from medical translation to courtoom translation, to even working as a teacher. With her "excellent" bilingual skills and education, I don't think she'll have any problem finding work or a decent career and she'll be an asset to help out with the areas growing latino population. Also our baby boy, we want him to go to a nice Christian school, or, Montessori school and there are plenty of those around up there.

However, it's still important that we connect with the latino community. I want to keep my spanish skills current and my wife will need to "detox" every now and then from US culture and hang around with some fellow latin-americans from time to time.

Me on the other hand, I'm 40, and I've had alot of different jobs in my life and always worked but never completed my college education. Lately, I've worked in account management in sales and customer support ( which I'm not a super fan of but if it pays the bills I'm all for it..

As long as I can "detox" from Louisville and get out of the city for a drive through the hills every now and then, visit my family and also have good music and good music friends to jam with, I'll be fine n' dandy.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:45 PM

7,060 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
No, we hate Florida, my mom included, she can't wait to get out of there and head back to Kentucky. The only reason why we ended up moving their was because of my dad, who is sadly deceased.

My wife hasn't visited Louisville yet, but I've told her alot about it, besides, we've both researched ( and are still researching ) alot about the city and I think we'll be happy there. Besides, I'll be close to my mom, because she's coming and also my grandmother and family is all only an hour away in the O'Boro area, and I do have 2 cousins and 1 aunt living in Louisville as well...soo al that's important to me as well.

The more she reads about it, the more she likes it. She has 2 college degrees in education and psychology and she's interested in doing anything from medical translation to courtoom translation, to even working as a teacher. With her "excellent" bilingual skills and education, I don't think she'll have any problem finding work or a decent career and she'll be an asset to help out with the areas growing latino population. Also our baby boy, we want him to go to a nice Christian school, or, Montessori school and there are plenty of those around up there.

However, it's still important that we connect with the latino community. I want to keep my spanish skills current and my wife will need to "detox" every now and then from US culture and hang around with some fellow latin-americans from time to time.

Me on the other hand, I'm 40, and I've had alot of different jobs in my life and always worked but never completed my college education. Lately, I've worked in account management in sales and customer support ( which I'm not a super fan of but if it pays the bills I'm all for it..

As long as I can "detox" from Louisville and get out of the city for a drive through the hills every now and then, visit my family and also have good music and good music friends to jam with, I'll be fine n' dandy.
Eric, Louisville is the best of all worlds for you and your wife and is a nice compromise. Your wife would be miserable in Owensboro and it would live up to "Ky stereotypes" (that is not always a bad thing). Louisville is going to be diverse enough to allow her to get involved.

One area that needs some help for volunteers is Ky Refugee Ministries...I would like to see them get involved with Brazil and Argentina more. If word could get out in S. America of the amazing "Americana" tourism options in KY (think bourbon, river history, festivals, derby, unique farm to table food, etc), I think you would see more wealthy Brazilians infuse money into the area instead of the same old Disney, Florida, NY, LA, etc.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Eric, Louisville is the best of all worlds for you and your wife and is a nice compromise. Your wife would be miserable in Owensboro and it would live up to "Ky stereotypes" (that is not always a bad thing). Louisville is going to be diverse enough to allow her to get involved.

Yes, I know. My wife is not a country girl, period. She's from Argentina and we are quite opposites in many ways, but then again we are also both quite alike in others and very open and also because of our shared faith. She likes suburbs, but she needs access to more, and you know, I do too. I mean, I like country living, and I'd like to have my 2 - 5 acres in Bullit, but, I'd also like to be close enough to a city for at least a drive in to do stuff when I want to. So, Louisville will work out well for us I'm sure.

One area that needs some help for volunteers is Ky Refugee Ministries...I would like to see them get involved with Brazil and Argentina more. If word could get out in S. America of the amazing "Americana" tourism options in KY (think bourbon, river history, festivals, derby, unique farm to table food, etc), I think you would see more wealthy Brazilians infuse money into the area instead of the same old Disney, Florida, NY, LA, etc.
Well, I've spoke with alot of folks here about Kentucky of course and what it's like. Believe it or not, there is a huge Bluegrass, Folk and Country music community down here ( oddly enough ) so of course Kentucky is on their radar. And of course the Derby and Bourbon. I think the big problem is that the only 2 or 3 ports of entry into the U.S. is either Miami, Houston or L.A. from latin america. So, what happens is, tourists from those areas have to make connecting flights to Louisville and that causes the airfar prices to go up considerably.

However I've told many of them they should rent a car and drive to Kentucky. The drive is scenic and of course nothings prettier than driving through rural Kentucky on your way to Louisville, it's well worth drive and the extra time to get there I think. My wife does think Kentucky is a very beautiful state ( which it is ) and she does like to drive around and see stuff.

As soon as we have her green card and we can do it, were coming in for a weeks worth of "snoopin" around. My wife has only seen pictures so I want her to meet my aunt and cousins ( the only ones she hasn't met yet ) that live in Louisville and spend some time their and let her get a feel for it.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:53 AM

This is a nice house right here in this area:

4701 S Rutland Ave,
Louisville, KY 40215

But I don't think it bodes well on census map...it's just south of Churchill Downs on the south central side of the Watterson I think....

Any thoughts from you experts out there on this neighborhood?

Old 11-14-2014, 07:07 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,337,451 times
Hmm maybe right there could be ok but just to the west is rough. Do you see that big grassy near the freeway to its NW? That was once a huge public housing complex that was really dangerous (frequent shootings) and it caused the entire area to go downhill. There are some nice areas right off Southern Pky but it seems to go downhill pretty in either direction. Personally I'd stay very close to S PKY through there. Now go just S of Iroquois Park and I'd call it a good area. Kenwood Hills and Auburndale seem fine, Windsor Forest is quite affluent.

Just my two cents. Haven't been over there much lately.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Hmm maybe right there could be ok but just to the west is rough. Do you see that big grassy near the freeway to its NW? That was once a huge public housing complex that was really dangerous (frequent shootings) and it caused the entire area to go downhill. There are some nice areas right off Southern Pky but it seems to go downhill pretty in either direction. Personally I'd stay very close to S PKY through there. Now go just S of Iroquois Park and I'd call it a good area. Kenwood Hills and Auburndale seem fine, Windsor Forest is quite affluent.

Just my two cents. Haven't been over there much lately.
Ok thanks....

Old 11-18-2014, 04:14 AM

14,670 posts, read 7,970,612 times
Welcome back home to Kentucky Eric.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Welcome back home to Kentucky Eric.
I'm not back yet

My wife and I have just started her green card process so it could be another year or more.

These things take time. Besides we just broke it to her mom and dad yesterday that we're leaving to come to the US....it DIDN'T go well, as you could imagine!

Old 11-20-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Actually since our case was officially "received" by the US Immigration services, we've recently officially broken the news that we're immigrating to the US to my "in-laws" and it hasn't been well received so far. I think it's partly "cultural" and also part of the "grieving" process and letting go. Time will tell whether they'll accept it and support us or not.

Even so my wife already has some cousins living in Houston ( for years I might add ) and an Uncle that lives near Jacksonville Florida.

Owensboro is a great little city, however, even though my family all lives there, it's not for me either. I don't think it's robust enough, nor big enough economically to provide the kinds of opportunities that we'll want. Even so, I'm close with my family so we'd be visiting their fairly regularly. Also, I'm a folk and Bluegrass musician, so even while living in Louisville, I'll be around alot of Kentucky folks who play the music and my wife will have to get used to that as best as she can.

But at the same time, I'll want to keep my bilingual spanish up to speed and also we'll hopefully be able to have friends from both sides...hopefully we'll be able to be involved in some latino expat groups, at the same time I'll be playing music and involved in the local music and festival scene as well.

It will be difficult for her, especially the first few years, but my wife has "perfect" english, and is educated and has 2 degrees....she has more education that me for goodness sakes! And, my wife is different from the rest of her family. She wants to live life and see, and do and live differently.

Even so, it's sad for them, that's normal. They adore our son ( their grandson ) and he won't be close by anymore. Plus, my wife has mentioned that she'll be challenged, really for the first time in her life and that she'll be out of her comfort zone. My wife really is a stellar person and women, very unique. There's not many still around out there that are like her, God has really blessed me with her. She wants to own and drive her own car for the first time, live in her own house as well....she just wants to grow and advance.

We're different, but were also very open and flexible. I get to be in Kentucky and close to my family and get my Kentucky living, get involved in the music that I love and miss while she'll be able to live in a place where she can get connected and hopefully meet new people, and even Kentucky people as well. It's going to help her grow as a person in many ways, myself included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area