Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 01:08 PM

39 posts, read 26,653 times

Advertisements

Wow. Based on that map, almost all of Greater Louisville has been eliminated as potential living areas. Sometimes I think we should have a sticky on this board for all people who want to move to Louisville that says if you're coming here, just go to the East End. Anywhere else is made to seem much more awful than it really is( ie. large swaths of Shively are perfectly fine.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 02:35 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
The map is based on my opinion and I tried to be accurate and fair. That said I'd call it more of a map for suburban families that want near zero crime and very few blighted properties. Now if you're a childless urbanite then 75% of Old Louisville and Phoenix Hill are fine, maybe even parts of Portland closest to the river.

I lived in Old Louisville for 4 years and loved it. Great architecture, lots of progressive people who aren't as snooty as the Frankfort Ave or Baxter Ave crowd. But let's not pretend it doesn't have more crime. I lived there 4 years, my car was broken into 3 times. There was a shooting a block away. I had 2 bikes stolen - one was inside the basement, the other was locked and chained outside inside the fence. I left it there for 10 minutes and someone came into the yard and used a wire cutter to steal it. I work with someone who now lives a block away from where I did and they've been robbed at gun point. OL is continuing to improve but let's be honest about it.

Re Shively.. I agree that most of the single family home areas inside the city limits are pretty nice. The bad areas are outside Shively proper in St Dennis and along 7th Street Rd in the Lou. City Limits. 7th Street Road and Crums lane is a crap hole, multiple murders every year. Now go just the other side of I-264 and there is a nice area along Gagle Ave.

The area N of Jefferson Mall to Buechel is not great but is the best of the gray areas IMO. It also seems to be an area that is stabilizing and perhaps improving in areas. The core area of crime seems to be closer to the Newburg area.

For the record I live on the East End but am not Of here. My years since age 11 have been in South Lexington or across several parts of Louisville.

I will consider your all's feedback and perhaps do an updated map.. maybe one that highlights all the crappy areas in Indiana too LOL

Old 08-10-2014, 04:18 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,569 times
Thanks for the map, to be quite honest, I am quite surprised. My cousin, who was born and raised in Louisville but now lives in Atlanta is trying to talk me and my wife out of moving there, however his sister lives there, is married and loves it.
What do you mean by "blighted properties"

Old 08-11-2014, 05:04 PM

Most metro areas I've been in would have a similar coverage area of areas to avoid. Lexington is pretty nice but I wouldn't live in about one third of Lexington either. And it's not that everything even in my maroon and black areas are terrible. There are beautiful neighborhoods near Shawnee Park or in Portland. On further thought I'd also trim down my gray area east of I-65 as areas near Bashford Manor are pretty nice and seem to be improving. But even as a "worst case" map 70% of Jefferson Co is practically crime free.

I'd define a blighted property as being abandoned or being in disrepair. Based on person experience and Google Street View there are very few properties like that in the gray area east of I-65, mostly that area has a bit higher homicide rate (though still pretty low) and more car break ins

Old 08-14-2014, 12:11 PM

So your officially dialing back on the grey and the red a bit? If so, I think that calls for a map redraw and post? What do you say census!

Old 08-15-2014, 10:10 AM

I will do a redraw. Mainly Downtown should be in gray or maroon as it does have more crime (like any urban environment). That area east of I-65 and south of I-264 is not bad enough to be all gray except a small area centered on Buechel and Newburg and down S Poplar Level Rd. There are some very nice neighborhoods between Outer Loop and Fern Valley.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:36 AM

Updated version. Hard to get image to zoom for 100% accuracy but it's a general idea. Included Indiana this time

Old 08-15-2014, 12:42 PM

Wow, looks like all of west Louisville including most of the downtown is "off-limits"

Do you care to provide a written elaboration regarding your changes? This is good perspective for others to consider when looking at buying a home and where tolive in Louisville.

Ohhh yeah, I hear about the "Purge Louisville" thing going on with all of the flyers that some loser has been posting all over Louisville talking about an Aug 15th crime spree. Don't folks realise that kind of stuff is a federal crime and that they will get caught?

Last edited by EricOldTime; 08-15-2014 at 02:01 PM..

Old 08-15-2014, 05:03 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Updated version. Hard to get image to zoom for 100% accuracy but it's a general idea. Included Indiana this time
Census, I still completely disagree here. There are pretty good areas in all your "highlighted" boxes. You make downtown sound like its ghetto yet 40202 is a very safe zip code with several million dollar plus condo properties. This is hardly a "dangerous area"

In fact, by most big city standards, very little of Louisville is dangerous at all except for a small section of West Louisville and small parts of Newburg. I am not sure you are aware of the ramifications of such sweeping generalizations about large swaths of an urban city. Although I do agree you have an excellent grasp of the city, even down to the census tract (thus your name), I do respectfully disagree with much of your maps.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:28 AM

My map matches last year's homicide map pretty closely

courier-journal.com » Jefferson County homicide database
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area