Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:45 AM

209 posts, read 739,197 times

Advertisements

There is 2.1 billion dollars worth of construction going on downtown and more and more big-city vibes. I think Louisville should work towards maintaining its special "nouvelle southern" self - comfortable and laid-back but funky, arty, smart with rough edges... But it should also have those amenities that heighten the sophistication and showcase the weirdness. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 07:13 AM

Here are some of my ideas:

A true art house cinema: I grew up in Louisville, then moved to Rochester, New York, where I lived for 35 years. I moved back home two years ago. One thing Rochester had we don't is a five-screen theatre that showed nothing but foreign and independent films. Baxter Ave. is now down to one or two cautiously chosen semi-independent, and almost no foreign films. Village 8 ventures out with something occasionally, but there's nothing like the Crescent Theatre (later Dietrich's, now a bank) or the Vogue. I'm privy to info that an art house is in the works. Let's hope.

A literary center: Rochester has a great place called Writers & Books where courses in all kinds of writing are offered for kids and adults. Famous writers are brought in for talks and workshops. I'd love to see that here.

The next stage of home furnishings: I'm cautious about this. I want us to have as much local and independent business as possible... but I don't think there's a Kentucky Proud replacement for an Ikea or Crate & Barrel.

Men's fashion as cool as all the women's shops: For the top of the line we have Rodes, but there is not much in the way of funky streetwear: Earnest Sewn, Edun, Theory, Loomstate, Trovata, Filippa K, etc. : Urban Outfitters. Dot Fox and Clodhoppers are testing the waters. I'd love to see them open men-only stores.

More music-friendly music venues: I go to Headliners all the time and am delighted and pissed-off. Great bands, good acoustics and staging, love the murals... but neither the crowds nor the bartenders seem to realize they're there for music. Constant chatter, tossed bottles. I refused to see Feist there because whenever the music gets quiet, people think its time to talk louder rather than shut up and listen. And the bartenders start cleaning up all the clanking bottles.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:58 PM

A large public market like the haymarket was 50 years ago. Lots of area farmers and local products...

Old 12-20-2007, 02:15 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louroclou View Post
There is 2.1 billion dollars worth of construction going on downtown and more and more big-city vibes. I think Louisville should work towards maintaining its special "nouvelle southern" self - comfortable and laid-back but funky, arty, smart with rough edges... But it should also have those amenities that heighten the sophistication and showcase the weirdness. Suggestions?
I love that description.... thanks!

Old 12-20-2007, 05:28 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,539 times
A public market would be a good idea.

Just my opinion, but after seeing some of the public markets elsewhere I think it was a mistake to close the Haymarket.

A better move would have been to bring it back, and it could have been a real focal point for that new development going on east of downtown.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:57 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
A public market would be a good idea.

Just my opinion, but after seeing some of the public markets elsewhere I think it was a mistake to close the Haymarket.

A better move would have been to bring it back, and it could have been a real focal point for that new development going on east of downtown.
A nuissance maybe, but if you count the Haymarket development that will bring 8700 high paying jobs downtown, I am not sure its a huge mistake. Phase 1 of the research park starts construction in 2008. With this park included, construction downtown actually comes in closer to 5 BILLION including at least three more towers in this district!

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:cmRxLQ2vrocJ:www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article%3FAID%3D2007711290401+Louisville+haymarket +health+sciences+Courier-journal&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us (broken link)

That site was underused and with the trend to vertical density downtown, this is the right use for this property located in the growing part of the reseacrh campus of the medical district, which currently has 3 tower cranes constructing buildings. There are actually public markets all over Louisville almost everyday:

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/Health/M...ersMarkets.htm

This list does not include permanant markets in downtown New Albany and other suburban locales. That said, I would like to see one of the surface lots on the west side of downtown, near the new conversion of the Gardens as part of City Center, be converted into a modern, permamant open air market.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:23 PM

I would love to see such a development near the Gardens, so as to extend the growth more to the west end. A large, permanent market with good, fresh produce would benefit the whole west side, and bring foodies from the Highlands and Old Louisville. What a rich meeting place it would be. I wish there were better pics, but here's Rochester's excellent public market: Rochester (http://www.cityofrochester.gov/PRHS/PublicMarket/index.cfm - broken link)... and the concept around the world.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:58 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,640 times
I'm curious to see how public transportation will grow and improve with the city.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:19 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
I'm curious to see how public transportation will grow and improve with the city.
Thats one area where I am sorely dissapointed in Louisville and this entire Mid South/Lower Midwest region. Light rail is a must!

Old 12-21-2007, 06:44 AM

Yes. All the new stuff - Museum Plaza, the Arena, Central City, UL Research Center, etc. - is going to generate a lot of traffic. And not everyone will live in walking distance in the new condos. I'd love to see light rail. Right now, though, the city is at its bond limit. Perhaps in a year or two, when we begin to see these things poking up, it will dawn on folks the importance of mass transit. Maybe we can 86 64 and put up a monorail!

I also hope there are serious green practices - green roofs, etc. - in the new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area