U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 11:53 AM

12 posts, read 12,948 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
My husband and I just recently moved to Louisville KY. We've been here a little over a year now and I am considering a great job offer in Elizabethtown. He works close to the airport right off I-65. I'm wondering if this job is even doable considering the distance between Louisville and E town.
Our price range for homes is up to 250K
3-4 bedroom
2+ bath
large yard
(we will consider renting too)
Ideal commute less than 30 min but up to 40 could be okay for one of us
We don't currently have children but would prefer if possible to be in an area that has good/decent schools.
And we'd like to be in an area that has decent resale value.

It seems like Shepardsville would be the logical location - somewhere close off 65 so we could easily hop on and go either way but I've heard it's not a great area. Is this true? how about resale?
Other options might be Mt Washington, E town, jefferson memorial forest area or Lebanon Junction.

Both my husband and I enjoy the outdoors so being close to parks/forests would be great even if smaller. Also since my commute may be longer I don't want to have to have long commutes to the grocery store, or a Target etc.
Also my husband hates bad traffic - how bad is I-65 N coming from the south?

I would say we are more small city/suburbia people, but we've lived in small towns before and I've enjoyed them.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 01:52 PM

6,879 posts, read 14,708,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtolou View Post
Hi All,
My husband and I just recently moved to Louisville KY. We've been here a little over a year now and I am considering a great job offer in Elizabethtown. He works close to the airport right off I-65. I'm wondering if this job is even doable considering the distance between Louisville and E town.
Our price range for homes is up to 250K
3-4 bedroom
2+ bath
large yard
(we will consider renting too)
Ideal commute less than 30 min but up to 40 could be okay for one of us
We don't currently have children but would prefer if possible to be in an area that has good/decent schools.
And we'd like to be in an area that has decent resale value.

It seems like Shepardsville would be the logical location - somewhere close off 65 so we could easily hop on and go either way but I've heard it's not a great area. Is this true? how about resale?
Other options might be Mt Washington, E town, jefferson memorial forest area or Lebanon Junction.

Both my husband and I enjoy the outdoors so being close to parks/forests would be great even if smaller. Also since my commute may be longer I don't want to have to have long commutes to the grocery store, or a Target etc.
Also my husband hates bad traffic - how bad is I-65 N coming from the south?

I would say we are more small city/suburbia people, but we've lived in small towns before and I've enjoyed them.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
you will be ok. shepherdsville is a decent area with good schools

Old 10-06-2014, 03:31 PM

11,022 posts, read 22,475,291 times
Bullitt County is fine, just a lot more country than the rest of the metro. It's more of a NASCAR / deer hunting / Cracker Barrel area as opposed to the jogging/ golfing / Starbucks culture of the East End. BC people tend to be middle class blue collar workers as opposed to middle class office workers. As such schools are ok but not great since most want their children to do a trade rather than go to college

Old 10-07-2014, 02:21 AM

6,879 posts, read 14,708,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Bullitt County is fine, just a lot more country than the rest of the metro. It's more of a NASCAR / deer hunting / Cracker Barrel area as opposed to the jogging/ golfing / Starbucks culture of the East End. BC people tend to be middle class blue collar workers as opposed to middle class office workers. As such schools are ok but not great since most want their children to do a trade rather than go to college
While your view is mostly true, it is definitely an over generalization. There is a decent white collar class in Bullit County. If I had to guess, I would put the number at around 15% of the population and this about correlates with the county's lower than average college graduates. Lots of UPS pilots and I would say even a few execs live in some of the golf course communities between Shepherdsville and Mt Washington.

That said, the majority of the people are very "southern" and Nascar type oriented, much different than the city of Louisville itself or really much of its north and east suburbs. Many in the area work at Ford or UPS in distribution or manufacturing line jobs and are just the good old fashioned middle class. Many people in Bullit seem more southern because they actually are; it is a popular spot for those from rural KY who relocate to work in metro Louisville since it feels more like "home."

Old 10-07-2014, 01:21 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,879,110 times
I like Bullit County and Shepherdsville but I can't get my Argentine wife to "bite"
She's a city girl and she says it's too rural for her tastes.....

what a shame

Old 10-07-2014, 09:21 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,606,297 times
There are some nice neighborhoods off of both sides of the Brooks exit and the southern Shepherdsville exit (hwy 480). Also there is one by Bernheim park, which is an amazing privately run park. As mentioned,there are at least a dozen nice neighborhoods from Brooks down to the Hardin countyline.

With future reductions at Ft Knox, you might find a good deal on the 65 side of Elizabethtown. Sure it's a long drive to Louisville airport but your happiness is what's more important.

For income data, here is a good.thread:
Top Kentucky counties for median household income

Old 10-09-2014, 12:57 PM

I've been lurking on this thread. Many of you know already my wife are planning on a move to Louisville in a few years or so max, as soon as we get my wifes green-card and get out of Argentina.

Anways, my wife has been warming up to the idea of living a little further out from Louisville, as long as the commute is fairly reasonable. I assume commuting from Bullit County and Shepherdsville would be pretty easy...say 30 minutes max right? Depending on whether we get jobs on the east side of Louisville, or even across the river over in S. Indiana ( hopefully not )

Also Shepherdsville....I only remember the downtown area and the bridge crossing the Salt River.....seemed to give me the impression of a typical old-fahsioned Kentucky small town. However, this was over 10 years ago....how is it now? Does it have a "suburban" kinda feel to it now or still more small townish?

Old 10-09-2014, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,791 times
Default Redneck & Proud!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
I like Bullit County and Shepherdsville but I can't get my Argentine wife to "bite"
She's a city girl and she says it's too rural for her tastes.....

what a shame
I think our realtor must be related to your wife! LOL My husband & I relocated to Louisville last month due to his recent promotion at work. We weren't familiar with the area when we moved here so we rented an apartment for 10 months to give us time to find our dream home. We are leaning toward Shepherdsville because it seems to be "pure country", housing with acreage is less expensive and my husband & I hope to retire in 5 years, become homesteaders and live off the land. We do like our realtor, very much actually, but we think he might be a bit "yuppie". LOL When we told him we wanted to look in the Shepherdsville area he quickly told us that we probably wouldn't be happy there because it's too redneck! LOL!! Ummmm, doubt it! Sounds exactly like the kind of place we are looking for!

Old 10-09-2014, 03:35 PM

11,022 posts, read 22,475,291 times
Bullitt County is primarily settled by people directly from Southern and Western KY or people from South Louisville whose ancestors came from Southern and Western KY. By contrast the East End and Oldham Co is mostly settled by Catholics or German or Irish origins and transplants from around the USA. There are Catholics in BC and the South End and Scots Irish Rednecks in the East End (like me lol) but that is a general overview.

Southern Indiana competes with BC for who is the most Redneck. Right now I'd say S IN is winning. They have the Sportsdrome Racetrack and Bass Pro Shops. Of course most the people overthere have Kentucky roots too. It was settled mostly by people from Central and Northern KY in the early 1800s. Since WW2 tons of people from Eastern KY and West Virginia have moved over there. The small town where my wife is from is at least 75% people from Whitesburg and Hazard KY

Old 10-09-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy homesteader View Post
I think our realtor must be related to your wife! LOL My husband & I relocated to Louisville last month due to his recent promotion at work. We weren't familiar with the area when we moved here so we rented an apartment for 10 months to give us time to find our dream home. We are leaning toward Shepherdsville because it seems to be "pure country", housing with acreage is less expensive and my husband & I hope to retire in 5 years, become homesteaders and live off the land. We do like our realtor, very much actually, but we think he might be a bit "yuppie". LOL When we told him we wanted to look in the Shepherdsville area he quickly told us that we probably wouldn't be happy there because it's too redneck! LOL!! Ummmm, doubt it! Sounds exactly like the kind of place we are looking for!
Well, as far as I'm concerned, in all due respect, your realtor friend sounds about as ignorant as they come. I don't like the term "redneck" it's derrogatory, negative, and ignorant. "What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander" If we are going to outlaw certain other terms as being negative, derrogatory and bigoted and claim to be a "tolerant" society...well that should mean "all" of these types of terms right? Not just the one's that we pick and choose...

Thanks for the "heads up" my wife and I won't be doing business with that realtor.

I actually liked Bullit County alot and had a friend that lived there ( hence the reason I wen there, to visit him ) Besides, I play Bluegrass and Old-Time Fiddle so I'll fit right in. Also, all of my family is from Kentucky, some 7 generations or so... and all are good natured country folk....true Kentuckians. My granny lives over near Owensboro Kentucky

CensusData - "Bullitt County is primarily settled by people directly from Southern and Western KY or people from South Louisville whose ancestors came from Southern and Western KY. "

Well, I can certainly confirm that! My friend that lived in Shepherdsville was from Grayson County in western Kentucky.....a good musician and a great guy. He used to work at the Ford plant in Louisville for years. However, I also know a few folks over in NE Louisville near Oldham county. Their from Owenton and the Carrolton area up in northern Kentucky and are as Kentuckian as they come....both grew up on farms up there....and have that Kentucky "twang" in their accents
The prospect of good paying jobs has lured lot's of Kentuckians into and around Louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area