Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 05:42 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are still heavily researching different areas of Louisville and we are curious to learn more about "Crestwood" Kentucky, just inside Oldham county.

I was there some years ago a few times but I don't remember much about it, and it wasn't this part of Oldham county..

My wife is beginning to warm up a bit to the possibility of considering living a bit more out towards the edge of Louisville.

We saw this quaint, older home for rent here:

5406 Windy Willow Dr, Crestwood, KY 40014 is For Rent - Zillow

Be curious to hear everybody's thoughts about it? It seems Louisville is really expanding out in that direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 11:20 AM

68 posts, read 106,411 times
Some really nice, quaint areas out that way. I definitely feel well outside the city when in Crestwood. Definitely more expensive than other outlying areas of Lou, but Crestwood always seems a bit nicer. Also a nice drive if taking 22 out from the east end. Visited Yew Dell Gardens there a few months ago. Beautiful grounds and I recommend it!

Old 01-09-2015, 12:18 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Crestwood is probably the most affordable part of OC, LaGrange city limits is also reasonable. That area has a neat feel, almost rustic. The main road is 2 lanes and lined with trees runs along the RR tracks and has century old buildings and little old shops now and then. There's not much in the main part of town, it feels like a very small town of 1,000. It feels very rural as soon as you get away from 265.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:06 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Crestwood is probably the most affordable part of OC, LaGrange city limits is also reasonable. That area has a neat feel, almost rustic. The main road is 2 lanes and lined with trees runs along the RR tracks and has century old buildings and little old shops now and then. There's not much in the main part of town, it feels like a very small town of 1,000. It feels very rural as soon as you get away from 265.
It "feels" rural. But it is not really. There is probably 15,000 people living in that area of Oldham around Crestwood. In all, the population of Oldham is around 70k and should reach 100k in the next 10-15 years.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:31 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
I don't want to give away too much personally identifying information on the internet, but let's just say I know that exact neighborhood very well. We don't have a bad word to say about it, other than that the gas prices usually seem higher than the rest of the metro. The only downside is that the population along 22 has dramatically outgrown the road system, and I don't see any painless remedy in the foreseeable future. Traffic can be very dense in the commercial area just to the west, but we feel it's worth it because the stores and businesses there are everything we could ask for, and we just pick our times to avoid the worst traffic. Meijer, Kroger, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Target, Costco, Earth Fare, Barnes and Noble, Cabella's, and a hundred smaller businesses all within a 5 to 8 minute drive, and 5 minute freeway access. I honestly don't believe there's another neighborhood in the metro that has all that - in fact, probably not the whole state of Kentucky. You really don't need to ever leave the neighborhood; every essential is right there.

It can get very dense going east to Lagrange, too, and that one's only going to get worse. I was just commenting to my wife 2 days ago that they're going to have to take out a lot of very expensive front yards to solve that dilemma, because a lot of longtime homes are built pretty close to the road. It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. As long as you don't have to make too many trips to the post office (which is in Lagrange), and you use Walgreen's instead of CVS, you won't have to make that drive very often. It can take a while to make a left turn out of there, especially when the cement trucks are backing up traffic (there's a batch plant just to the east of there).

You're going to love the Silver Creek Stables, just to the south side of 22. We like to sit in the parking lot of the church and just watch the mares play with their foals in the spring. They have this one beautiful grey I love to watch... she's so sleek and graceful... so yeah, great neighborhood, and depending on the property, probably not a bad price at all.

Edit: Oh, and the main road there doesn't run along the tracks. Censusdata is thinking of Lagrange road, about a mile to the south. That one really does get some traffic jams when people are trying to turn left across the tracks. Brownsboro/Ballardsville Road doesn't have that problem, thank god.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 01-10-2015 at 02:26 AM..

Old 01-10-2015, 01:55 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I don't want to give away too much personally identifying information on the internet, but let's just say I know that exact neighborhood very well. We don't have a bad word to say about it, other than that the gas prices usually seem higher than the rest of the metro. The only downside is that the population along 22 has dramatically outgrown the road system, and I don't see any painless remedy in the foreseeable future. Traffic can be very dense in the commercial area just to the west, but we feel it's worth it because the stores and businesses there are everything we could ask for, and we just pick our times to avoid the worst traffic. Meijer, Kroger, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Costco, Cabella's, and a hundred smaller businesses all within a 5 to 8 minute drive, and 5 minute freeway access.

It can get very dense going east to Lagrange, too, and that one's only going to get worse. I was just commenting to my wife 2 days ago that they're going to have to take out a lot of very expensive front yards to solve that dilemma, because a lot of longtime homes are built pretty close to the road. It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. A long as you don't have to make too many trips to the post office (which is in Lagrange), and you use Walgreen's instead of CVS, you won't have to make that drive very often. It can take a while to make a left turn out of there, especially when the cement trucks are backing up traffic (there's a batch plant just to the east of there).

You're going to love the Silver Creek Stables, just to the south side of 22. We like to sit in the parking lot of the church and just watch the mares play with their foals in the spring. They have this one beautiful grey I love to watch... she's so sleek and graceful... so yeah, great neighborhood, and depending on the property, probably not a bad price at all.

Edit: Oh, and the main road there doesn't run along the tracks. Censusdata is thinking of Lagrange road, about a mile to the south. That one really does get some traffic jams when people are trying to turn across the tracks. Brownsboro/Ballardsville Road doesn't have that problem, thank god.
Great summary by a local and testament to the rapid pace of growth and fairly high population density for a far flung exurban area. 22 needs to be 2 lanes in each direction all the way to La Grange. It is indeed a gorgeous area bc you "feel" rural and isolated even though you are not.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:28 AM

728 posts, read 1,676,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I don't want to give away too much personally identifying information on the internet, but let's just say I know that exact neighborhood very well. We don't have a bad word to say about it, other than that the gas prices usually seem higher than the rest of the metro. The only downside is that the population along 22 has dramatically outgrown the road system, and I don't see any painless remedy in the foreseeable future. Traffic can be very dense in the commercial area just to the west, but we feel it's worth it because the stores and businesses there are everything we could ask for, and we just pick our times to avoid the worst traffic. Meijer, Kroger, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Target, Costco, Earth Fare, Barnes and Noble, Cabella's, and a hundred smaller businesses all within a 5 to 8 minute drive, and 5 minute freeway access. I honestly don't believe there's another neighborhood in the metro that has all that - in fact, probably not the whole state of Kentucky. You really don't need to ever leave the neighborhood; every essential is right there.

It can get very dense going east to Lagrange, too, and that one's only going to get worse. I was just commenting to my wife 2 days ago that they're going to have to take out a lot of very expensive front yards to solve that dilemma, because a lot of longtime homes are built pretty close to the road. It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. As long as you don't have to make too many trips to the post office (which is in Lagrange), and you use Walgreen's instead of CVS, you won't have to make that drive very often. It can take a while to make a left turn out of there, especially when the cement trucks are backing up traffic (there's a batch plant just to the east of there).

Edit: Oh, and the main road there doesn't run along the tracks. Censusdata is thinking of Lagrange road, about a mile to the south. That one really does get some traffic jams when people are trying to turn left across the tracks. Brownsboro/Ballardsville Road doesn't have that problem, thank god.
I grew up in Oldham, and graduated from OCHS in the late 80s. Everything you say is true. I come home once a month, and am amazed at the amount of development in Crestwood and going west towards I 265.

I've always told my wife if that we ever move up that way, I would look at areas east of LaGrange going towards Henry County. Last time i was up that way, the western part of Henry was still somewhat sparse compared to west and central Oldham county.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:41 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
I grew up in Oldham, and graduated from OCHS in the late 80s. Everything you say is true. I come home once a month, and am amazed at the amount of development in Crestwood and going west towards I 265.

I've always told my wife if that we ever move up that way, I would look at areas east of LaGrange going towards Henry County. Last time i was up that way, the western part of Henry was still somewhat sparse compared to west and central Oldham county.

Henry looks nice but my wife wouldn't go for it..

Besides if I had my way and could do country, I'd look at Bullit, Spencer or maybe even Meade county.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:16 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,424 times
You can still even get the "country" feel in parts of eastern Jefferson county, along the county border in Prospect. I grew up in Prospect in the 80's and lived in Crestwood for a brief time as well. Both areas have boomed and are becoming more affluent by the day. Crestwood these days kinda feels like suburbia that hasn't caught up to the times infrastructurally.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:13 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
The first time I drove through OC around 2000 I was really surprised how rural the area feels. The small towns outside Lexington feel like small cities compared to Crestwood, Shepherdsville, or even LaGrange. Part of that is that there is little retail in OC, most people come into Jefferson Co to shop at places like The Summit or Springhurst.

Last I heard the state has wanted to widen KY 22 but most OC residents are against it. People move out there for the rural feel and don't want it paved over. Same thing with I-71 and I-64 (inside I-264), the state wants to widen but the local residents oppose it. It's a miracle they were able to start construction for the East End Bridge given the local sentiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area