Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:42 AM

70 posts, read 188,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick of NY View Post
We are in our 40's with three kids, ages 8, 12, and 14 yrs. We are looking for someplace with good schools access to culture and a friendly somewhat liberal vibe. We have been looking into Fla and Carolina's and Pa. Recently we saw a house in Barbour Manor. Could anyone tell us anything about the area?
Thanks for your help.
Neither Springdale and certainly not Oldham County have a liberal vibe. Both locations are crawling with Republicans. If you need to live in a part of town that is progressive, that exemplifies and celebrates culture and diversity, you have three choices in Louisville: the Highlands, Crescent Hill/Clifton and downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 09:28 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmaraschino View Post
Neither Springdale and certainly not Oldham County have a liberal vibe. Both locations are crawling with Republicans. If you need to live in a part of town that is progressive, that exemplifies and celebrates culture and diversity, you have three choices in Louisville: the Highlands, Crescent Hill/Clifton and downtown.
This morning, for the first time, I have read Frank's replies. Even other writers have noted his angry attitudes. If Frank is liberal, I assure you I don't want to live anywhere near places he likes.

Frank, IMO, you are very welcome to write on this blog, and you have the freedom to even be angry, but this is an informational blog. If you wish to write of politics (and I am certain that I have been guilty here too) please don't express your anger. Please express your points which just might be excellent, but drop the anger from this blog.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:34 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
This morning, for the first time, I have read Frank's replies. Even other writers have noted his angry attitudes. If Frank is liberal, I assure you I don't want to live anywhere near places he likes.

Frank, IMO, you are very welcome to write on this blog, and you have the freedom to even be angry, but this is an informational blog. If you wish to write of politics (and I am certain that I have been guilty here too) please don't express your anger. Please express your points which just might be excellent, but drop the anger from this blog.
Tom, I hate to say it, but Oldham IS MAJORITY republican. Maybe Census will post how many registered Republicans live there.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:

I'm not angry in the slightest, Tom.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:45 AM

42 posts, read 116,738 times
Yeah, Tom. Why do you always say that people are "angry"?
It's a constant theme with you.

Tom: *makes point*
Other people: *disagree*
Tom: "Stop being so angry!!"

Frank was 100% correct in every way.

Again, people in the Ville are WAY too attached to their areas. It borders on delusional at times.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:26 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowdy_Pants View Post
Yeah, Tom. Why do you always say that people are "angry"?
It's a constant theme with you.

Tom: *makes point*
Other people: *disagree*
Tom: "Stop being so angry!!"

Frank was 100% correct in every way.

Again, people in the Ville are WAY too attached to their areas. It borders on delusional at times.
I guess I don't see what is wrong with having pride in where you are from. I guess that pride is what keeps us here.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:13 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Dowdy... I appreciate your thoughts, but I often sense tremendous anger in people's words, especially if they are challenged. Yesterday, another writer seemed to be especially bitter in their words toward the south end, the shopping and other amenities of the area. If I misread those words (and I wasn't the only to read the anger) I am sincerely sorry that I missed the writer's points.

The facts are quite the opposite. I feel like John McCain likely feels about the New York Times. I am very concerned about the defaming that goes here. Yet, I am the one who is considered to be inflamatory. I guess it's because my words are not very politically correct.

I want to share facts and objectively based opinion on this site; however, I see writers get emotionally involved. I have been accused of being passionate about Oldham County. I am not so passionate as I am defensive of facts people don't want to acknowledge. I don't mean in any way to put others down, but rather to illustrate how great Oldham County is. It is not that Louisville/Jefferson County or any other area is bad, it just means that as good as those areas might be, I feel Oldham County is often better. It's not an attempt to put other area's down, but rather to reach down with a helping hand. I am very lucky to live in a place as great as Oldham County, and I want to share that great feeling throughout Kentucky, not to compete, but rather to compliment.

Many people might think that my passionate attitudes are due to owning a real estate office in Oldham County. That makes very good logic; however, the facts are we sell far more property throughout Jefferson, Bullitt, Henry, and other counties than Oldham. We have every reason to want those places to be good places to live, but we find serious issues with Jefferson County Public Schools and the political basis of so many decisions of the school board rather than what is truly academically best for the children of Jefferson County.

While I have never intentionally insulted one person anytime whether on this site or not, it seems that people must think that I am. I regret this and feel sad that I have failed to communicate appropriately, but I assure you... MY REAL NAME is on the line everytime I write on this site. I must be as honest, objective, and accurate as humanly possible. If I make a mistake and it is respectfully pointed out, I am quick to accept my correction with humble appreciation.

btw... disagreement... competition makes us all stronger, but people who do not live here wish for objective understandings about their possible new homes. Facts never have to be defended, but often explained.

I hope you will see that in my future writings. It's not a place for anger, and I feel opinions must be based on objectivity, not subjectivity.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Dowdy... I appreciate your thoughts, but I often sense tremendous anger in people's words, especially if they are challenged. Yesterday, another writer seemed to be especially bitter in their words toward the south end, the shopping and other amenities of the area. If I misread those words (and I wasn't the only to read the anger) I am sincerely sorry that I missed the writer's points.
If you're referring to me, your internet empathy meter needs calibration. I never expressed bitterness regarding the South End. I just said it's not somewhere I'd want to live. I also said I used to work there and the vast majority of people I met were very nice, decent, hard-working people as far as I could tell.

Quote:
I feel like John McCain likely feels about the New York Times.
How, that inconvenient facts aren't being concealed for your benefit? I'm not on here selling anything, Tom, you are. And you haven't offered me a commission.

Quote:
I am very concerned about the defaming that goes here.
I understand that you're a realtor and not a lawyer, but do you know the definition of defamation?

Quote:
I want to share facts and objectively based opinion on this site; however, I see writers get emotionally involved. I have been accused of being passionate about Oldham County. I am not so passionate as I am defensive of facts people don't want to acknowledge. I don't mean in any way to put others down, but rather to illustrate how great Oldham County is. It is not that Louisville/Jefferson County or any other area is bad, it just means that as good as those areas might be, I feel Oldham County is often better. It's not an attempt to put other area's down, but rather to reach down with a helping hand. I am very lucky to live in a place as great as Oldham County, and I want to share that great feeling throughout Kentucky, not to compete, but rather to compliment.
Whether or not one thinks Oldham County is great is a matter of taste. My brother and sister-in-law live in Goshen, and my brother-in-law loves the fact that his kids can ride their ATV all over the neighborhood and that he can burn leaves in his back yard. Those are amenities I could live without.

Question: Do you share your political views with your clients when they're looking at property in Louisville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: