U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2015, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,860 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving from Nashville to Louisville very soon. My husband has been there since March and we were waiting for my 6 yr old to finish his school year here before we moved. We had hoped to have our house sold here in Nashville and we did and to be closing on a house in Louisville by now but we have NOT. We are having a hard time finding a home and we have been looking for nearly 3 months. Our realtor tells us the inventory is low. We are most interested in the East Louisville area, we are not opposed to Shelby County-we've even put an offer in on a home in Shelbyville, but our bid did not win. I like the Jeffersontown area and the Forest Hills area and also Springhurst. My husband lives in temp housing in the Springhurst area because it is close to his job on Ormsby Station. We would like to spend between 250k to 300k on a home. He's looking for around a 30 min. commute to work. I currently don't work, but once I get my son settled I'd like to work and my background is sales and marketing. We have one son and he currently goes to private school in TN. so we have looked at Portland Christian Academy and Cornerstone Christian in Shelbyville, we are not completely opposed to public schools, however I do not like the way the school system is set up there with the clusters, if I could get him into a good school I would consider public. We are looking for a great neighborhood, I would like to be around amenities like restaurants, malls, etc. but I really want a very nice home in a great well established neighborhood and that's why we looked also in Shelby County because you seem to get more for your money there. I do like communities that have pools and clubhouses, walking trails etc. but it's a nice to have-not a got to have. We have recently started to look into the Fern Creek area, I didn't particularly like this area, but maybe I'm not giving it a chance. Our realtor says it's more south and it isn't as nice, can someone point me in the direction of the best areas in East Louisville and give me more information on the Fern Creek area.

Thanks.
Oh and I prefer pie but my boys(husband and son) would probably choose cake.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 11:53 AM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmiles06 View Post
Hi, I'm moving from Nashville to Louisville very soon. My husband has been there since March and we were waiting for my 6 yr old to finish his school year here before we moved. We had hoped to have our house sold here in Nashville and we did and to be closing on a house in Louisville by now but we have NOT. We are having a hard time finding a home and we have been looking for nearly 3 months. Our realtor tells us the inventory is low. We are most interested in the East Louisville area, we are not opposed to Shelby County-we've even put an offer in on a home in Shelbyville, but our bid did not win. I like the Jeffersontown area and the Forest Hills area and also Springhurst. My husband lives in temp housing in the Springhurst area because it is close to his job on Ormsby Station. We would like to spend between 250k to 300k on a home. He's looking for around a 30 min. commute to work. I currently don't work, but once I get my son settled I'd like to work and my background is sales and marketing. We have one son and he currently goes to private school in TN. so we have looked at Portland Christian Academy and Cornerstone Christian in Shelbyville, we are not completely opposed to public schools, however I do not like the way the school system is set up there with the clusters, if I could get him into a good school I would consider public. We are looking for a great neighborhood, I would like to be around amenities like restaurants, malls, etc. but I really want a very nice home in a great well established neighborhood and that's why we looked also in Shelby County because you seem to get more for your money there. I do like communities that have pools and clubhouses, walking trails etc. but it's a nice to have-not a got to have. We have recently started to look into the Fern Creek area, I didn't particularly like this area, but maybe I'm not giving it a chance. Our realtor says it's more south and it isn't as nice, can someone point me in the direction of the best areas in East Louisville and give me more information on the Fern Creek area.

Thanks.
Oh and I prefer pie but my boys(husband and son) would probably choose cake.
The BEST areas in the far east and Northeast suburbs are actually Prospect, Goshen, Crestwood, Peewee Valley, and La Grange. I would throw in Norton Commons too.

But why are you looking so far out? You can get a very nice home in desirable parts of the urban city, inside I264 at affordable rates too.

Now, if you are looking for new construction, you are better looking further out, but there are still some great historic rehabs and even new construction in the city. You need a better realtor instead of one who will push you to the the "far east end" will you will over pay for a house, thus boosting their commission. I can refer you a good realtor if needed.

Fern Creek is ok. It is like a Goodletsville. Nothing wrong with it. The far SW subuurbs (think Valley Station), are even really cheap, but the mall isn't as good and its more of a southern vibe (and also about a 40 min commute for your husband) S. Indiana, especially Floyds Knobs is also nice and you get HUGE homes for very cheap overlooking the city (woods of Lafayette), but also about a 35 min commute for your husband.

However, if I wanted a brand new house and I wanted it affordable, I would look at Crestwood or Pewee Valley in Oldham County. These are the closest areas Louisville has to a Brentwood like area (really the Paddock Shops/Springhurst area is more like Brentwood).

Old 05-24-2015, 07:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,860 times
Thanks so much for your reply. We are just having a really hard time finding what we want in Jefferson county and then when we do it is gone before we can schedule a showing so that is why we looked in Shelbyville. Then we kept seeing what we wanted in a house for fair prices but in Fern Creek and actually our realtor said that is a bit out and we kind of thought it would be. I guess we are just growing weary of looking in the areas we want and not finding anything. Hopefully we will find something very soon or we will have to get an apt. For a while and our realtor says finding someone to do a six month lease won't be easy...long sigh...thanks again!

Old 05-24-2015, 08:26 AM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmiles06 View Post
Thanks so much for your reply. We are just having a really hard time finding what we want in Jefferson county and then when we do it is gone before we can schedule a showing so that is why we looked in Shelbyville. Then we kept seeing what we wanted in a house for fair prices but in Fern Creek and actually our realtor said that is a bit out and we kind of thought it would be. I guess we are just growing weary of looking in the areas we want and not finding anything. Hopefully we will find something very soon or we will have to get an apt. For a while and our realtor says finding someone to do a six month lease won't be easy...long sigh...thanks again!
Real estate is very hot in Louisville and there is a low inventory. Your the option is to build a house. Again, PM me and I can refer you a good realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or