U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-02-2015, 04:30 AM
 
22 posts, read 30,203 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

is Germantown the "new" Highlands? My husband and I are looking to downsize in the next year or two. We just want a small one story house. We want a fixer upper that we can gut and restore. Opinions on this area?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2015, 07:37 AM
 
Location: I is where I is
1,922 posts, read 1,296,853 times
Reputation: 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhayes1976 View Post
is Germantown the "new" Highlands? My husband and I are looking to downsize in the next year or two. We just want a small one story house. We want a fixer upper that we can gut and restore. Opinions on this area?
You'll definitely be able to find a "fixer upper" in Germantown, pretty cheap I'd say too.

My personal opinion on Germantown is mixed. I've done a lot of work remodeling homes in the area. There are definitely some good people,nice homes,etc... But there are also a lot of shady people who live in the area and walk the streets all hours of the day/night. Also a lot of drug homes/busts in the area. The Highlands is definitely nicer, but also more expensive.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2015, 01:06 PM
 
6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
You'll definitely be able to find a "fixer upper" in Germantown, pretty cheap I'd say too.

My personal opinion on Germantown is mixed. I've done a lot of work remodeling homes in the area. There are definitely some good people,nice homes,etc... But there are also a lot of shady people who live in the area and walk the streets all hours of the day/night. Also a lot of drug homes/busts in the area. The Highlands is definitely nicer, but also more expensive.
"A lot of drugs?" I just don't think that is accurate. Not in Germantown. I would say you can count on one hand the amount of problem causing "drug houses" in that area.

Now, to the north of Germantown is an area called Shelby Park, and then Smoketown. Those areas ARE somewhat dangerous and have several abandoned homes and drug dealers. Not terrible, but certainly not a desirable area ...yet. Even Shelby Park is on the up, and there have been some noticeable recent rehabs.

In general, stay south of the railroad tracks and you are just fine.
The area around Nachbar around Krieger and Charles street is absolutely the new Highlands. Cheaper fixer up homes and lots of gays and young hipsters mixed with old timers who care for their homes very well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2015, 03:40 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times
Reputation: 9077
The dividing line between the Highlands and Germantown is Barrett Ave. The parts of Germantown near Barrett Ave is de facto Highlands in every way. I used to live near Barrett Ave and walked around a lot and there was no drop off in affluence or safety until you get to the eastern edge of Germanton where it is separated from the rougher (but improving) Shelby Park and Smoketown neighborhoods. When Louisville has Snitch (a local crime newspaper) the Greater Germantown zip codes were among the safest in the old city limits. Had it not been for lower prices and being close to family I would have definitely had Germantown and Schnitzelburg at the top of list.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2015, 01:32 AM
 
Location: Louisville KY
3,928 posts, read 3,540,259 times
Reputation: 3088
Yeah, if I could get a house to fix up in Germantown, I would. Smoketown is meh, but I think it's coming up slowly, and ridding Sheppard Square may have been a big factor in that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2015, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Louisville Area
68 posts, read 70,897 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
"A lot of drugs?" I just don't think that is accurate. Not in Germantown. I would say you can count on one hand the amount of problem causing "drug houses" in that area.

Now, to the north of Germantown is an area called Shelby Park, and then Smoketown. Those areas ARE somewhat dangerous and have several abandoned homes and drug dealers. Not terrible, but certainly not a desirable area ...yet. Even Shelby Park is on the up, and there have been some noticeable recent rehabs.

In general, stay south of the railroad tracks and you are just fine.
The area around Nachbar around Krieger and Charles street is absolutely the new Highlands. Cheaper fixer up homes and lots of gays and young hipsters mixed with old timers who care for their homes very well.
We almost bought a home in Germantown on the cusp, close to Shelby Park right near the train tracks. The house was fully renovated with new everything. It was a bit cheaper than other homes in Germantown with comparable renovations. I wondered why, then I went down to the neighborhod at a deader time. Just 2 blocks to the west, boarded up buildings. Not just dumpy or gritty, but really bad. Decided against moving to the "cutting edge" of the improvements. Hopefully more good developments happen in that area. Just didn't want to risk buying a home that could pose a problem for selling in the future.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2015, 12:11 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times
Reputation: 9077
Only the border areas of Gtown near Shelby Park have some crime issues. Original post makes more sense now
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2015, 11:54 AM
 
89 posts, read 82,462 times
Reputation: 129
We lived on Ellison Ave for three years. We were approx a mile from the train tracks. Only two incidents on our street during that time. Someone stole our lawnmower and my neighbor had his wrought iron furniture stolen off of his porch. I wish I could go back and keep my house. The value has appreciated about 20% since we sold it in 2011. I have a friend that currently lives on Charles, and she is very happy with the area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2015, 12:42 PM
 
6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlymarie30 View Post
We lived on Ellison Ave for three years. We were approx a mile from the train tracks. Only two incidents on our street during that time. Someone stole our lawnmower and my neighbor had his wrought iron furniture stolen off of his porch. I wish I could go back and keep my house. The value has appreciated about 20% since we sold it in 2011. I have a friend that currently lives on Charles, and she is very happy with the area.
There are so many flips in that area, especially charles and samuel st, it is unreal. Now, a second loft project will bookend the neighborhood, this one a 20 million dollar warehouse loft conversion on east oak st.

Last edited by Peter1948; 07-28-2015 at 03:40 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2015, 03:29 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times
Reputation: 9077
I always thought I'd buy my first house in Greater Germantown but the prices rose a ton and I opted for the Indiana side. Few houses for under $100k now, 10 years ago everything was under $100k.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top