U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 03:00 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,173,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
There is no place in Jefferson County that's more than a 30 minute commute to downtown even during the morning rush hour. Also many areas in Oldham County in southern Indiana are within a 30 minute commute of downtown.

No, Louisville does not have any HOV lanes at the present time nor are there any plans for them in the near future. Traffic just isn't bad enough to necessitate them.
I agree traffic is not bad....but it is definitely close to 30 minutes, door to door, to make it from say, the Aegon Center garage downtown to your Middletown or Lake Forest garage. Some days it can be 40.

With no traffic, you can make it downtown to your suburban home outside 265 in 20 mins or so (from your downtown parking space to your garage).

There are a few common things about long time Louisvillians:

1) They grossly underestimate the size of their metro area
2)They say everything is 15 mins away when it is not
3) They think less of Louisville than what it is which is a growing, progressive city

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Will...546872!3e0!5i1

Current commute from the Aegon Center to a typical Lake forest address? 36 mins as of 547 PM on a Wednesday.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/400+...38.1136202!3e0

Commute to Fern Creek/Glenmary area? Also over 30 mins

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/400+...38.1136202!3e0

You need to pick an address and check it weekdays going into the city at 8 Am and coming home at 530 PM. Listen, traffic in Louisville is a joke, but to say everything is within 15 mins is a gross exaggeration; it is NOT a small town!

Last edited by Peter1948; 07-08-2015 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 06:59 PM

23,000 posts, read 31,942,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanr View Post
Hello,

I currently live in northern Virginia, but am considering transferring to Louisville with the VA. My office would probably be downtown on West Main Street or at the medical center on Zorn ave.

Can anyone recommend any areas to live that are within 30-45 min commute of those areas? I have two dogs so I would prefer a house. I will probably rent for 6-12 months before buying....limits would be rent under $2,000 per month or $350k to buy. It is just my wife and I so schools don't matter.

Thanks!
I'll recommend St. Matthews. Nice safe area with some shops. Close to either Zorn Ave or Downtown. You'll have plenty of choices with your budget.

I live in Arlington but lived in Louisville (St Matthews) from 2010-2012.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:29 AM

92 posts, read 116,756 times
Thanks everyone. That is a lot of good info. Happy to hear most commutes are in the 30 min range. Doesn't sound like anything I am used to in Northern VA.

Question, are their any gated communities in Jefferson county?

Old 07-09-2015, 12:15 PM

1,123 posts, read 797,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanr View Post
Thanks everyone. That is a lot of good info. Happy to hear most commutes are in the 30 min range. Doesn't sound like anything I am used to in Northern VA.

Question, are their any gated communities in Jefferson county?
Very few, and what ones do exist are ultra high end (that I know of). Gated communities are an east coast/Florida thing. I don't know of many in the entire midwest.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:27 PM

862 posts, read 1,415,985 times
Don't forget to factor in that in a couple of years the new VAMC will be opened on the east side and the VARO and all VSOs will be situated in the new building. We moved away a year ago - sob - so I'm not sure on the progress of the new VAMC.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:20 PM

242 posts, read 307,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
Don't forget to factor in that in a couple of years the new VAMC will be opened on the east side and the VARO and all VSOs will be situated in the new building. We moved away a year ago - sob - so I'm not sure on the progress of the new VAMC.

There really hasn't been any progress on it. Other than seeing a few artists renderings nothing else has happened. They are now thing it will start being built in 2017 the earliest. There's actually still a lot of community opposition to the location chosen because of traffic concerns around the intersections in that area.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:44 PM

862 posts, read 1,415,985 times
I knew I hadn't kept up on the plans but wow. Still nothing? They picked the most inconvenient location for Veterans. There was a great location - I'm thinking Fegenbush and Hurstbourne but I could be wrong - that would have plenty of parking and cost them a lot less money. But no let's spend more money on a lot less land and not much parking for Veterans and employees alike. And disruptive to the residents where they finally bought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or