U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2015, 08:01 PM
 
92 posts, read 116,776 times
Reputation: 52

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in northern Virginia, but am considering transferring to Louisville with the VA. My office would probably be downtown on West Main Street or at the medical center on Zorn ave.

Can anyone recommend any areas to live that are within 30-45 min commute of those areas? I have two dogs so I would prefer a house. I will probably rent for 6-12 months before buying....limits would be rent under $2,000 per month or $350k to buy. It is just my wife and I so schools don't matter.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2015, 09:09 PM
 
6,296 posts, read 13,179,782 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanr View Post
Hello,

I currently live in northern Virginia, but am considering transferring to Louisville with the VA. My office would probably be downtown on West Main Street or at the medical center on Zorn ave.

Can anyone recommend any areas to live that are within 30-45 min commute of those areas? I have two dogs so I would prefer a house. I will probably rent for 6-12 months before buying....limits would be rent under $2,000 per month or $350k to buy. It is just my wife and I so schools don't matter.

Thanks!
where are you in N VA now? do you like old or new? suburban or exurban? urban? walkable? give some more info. within 45 minutes of downtown, you can choose from the entire 12 county metro area of 1.5 million people. ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2015, 09:40 PM
 
92 posts, read 116,776 times
Reputation: 52
I currently live in Woodbidge, VA and commute to downtown, DC. It takes me about an hour door to door.

I grew up in Paris, KY (near Lexington) and left 30 years ago when I was 20, but I'm not familiar much with Louisville. I think I have only been there 2-3 times.

We would prefer something new or at least updated on the inside. Something in the suburbs or exburan would probably work better. I would prefer a decent yard....one of my dogs is a doberman and he needs some room to run sometimes lol

Another factor is we are an interracial couple. I'm black/wife is white, so I want to live in an area that is acceptable of that. In addition, I will probably spend a lot of time traveling to other VA facilities in Lexington and other areas of the state.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2015, 09:44 PM
 
6,296 posts, read 13,179,782 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanr View Post
I currently live in Woodbidge, VA and commute to downtown, DC. It takes me about an hour door to door.

I grew up in Paris, KY (near Lexington) and left 30 years ago when I was 20, but I'm not familiar much with Louisville. I think I have only been there 2-3 times.

We would prefer something new or at least updated on the inside. Something in the suburbs or exburan would probably work better. I would prefer a decent yard....one of my dogs is a doberman and he needs some room to run sometimes lol

Another factor is we are an interracial couple. I'm black/wife is white, so I want to live in an area that is acceptable of that. In addition, I will probably spend a lot of time traveling to other VA facilities in Lexington and other areas of the state.

Thanks in advance!
Juan, the city of Louisville has many thousands of interracial marriages and that is just not a problem here. In rural KY? Not so much. I would try to stick to the Louisville area.

There are SO MANY areas to point you. I can refer you to a good realtor if you PM me. You will need one. You should buy because mortgages are just so cheap. If you buy a home for 350k and put 20% down, you can get a mortgage for 1100 a month. I would like in the vicinity of the NE Louisville corridor along Brownsboro Rd going out to I-71 and the Gene Snyder Freeway. Another area of interest would be the east suburbs, around Middletown and Lake Forest and all surrounding neighborhoods. These areas put you only an hour from downtown Lexington and about 25 mins to downtown Louisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2015, 10:23 PM
 
92 posts, read 116,776 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Juan, the city of Louisville has many thousands of interracial marriages and that is just not a problem here. In rural KY? Not so much. I would try to stick to the Louisville area.

There are SO MANY areas to point you. I can refer you to a good realtor if you PM me. You will need one. You should buy because mortgages are just so cheap. If you buy a home for 350k and put 20% down, you can get a mortgage for 1100 a month. I would like in the vicinity of the NE Louisville corridor along Brownsboro Rd going out to I-71 and the Gene Snyder Freeway. Another area of interest would be the east suburbs, around Middletown and Lake Forest and all surrounding neighborhoods. These areas put you only an hour from downtown Lexington and about 25 mins to downtown Louisville.
I see some nice houses on realtor.com in the 40243, 40223, 40241, 40245 and 40299 area codes in my price range. Are those nice areas to live in?

We had discussed maybe having a house built...are their new housing developments in these areas or do you have to move further out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2015, 10:32 PM
 
6,296 posts, read 13,179,782 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanr View Post
I see some nice houses on realtor.com in the 40243, 40223, 40241, 40245 and 40299 area codes in my price range. Are those nice areas to live in?

We had discussed maybe having a house built...are their new housing developments in these areas or do you have to move further out?
yes and yes. all outstanding areas. all decently far out yet less than 30 mins to dt with no traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2015, 04:34 PM
 
92 posts, read 116,776 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
yes and yes. all outstanding areas. all decently far out yet less than 30 mins to dt with no traffic.
How long would it take to get to downtown Louisville when you factor in morning commute time?

Does Louisville have high-occupancy vehicle lanes that are faster but require 2-3 passengers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2015, 04:35 PM
 
92 posts, read 116,776 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Juan, the city of Louisville has many thousands of interracial marriages and that is just not a problem here. In rural KY? Not so much. I would try to stick to the Louisville area.

There are SO MANY areas to point you. I can refer you to a good realtor if you PM me. You will need one. You should buy because mortgages are just so cheap. If you buy a home for 350k and put 20% down, you can get a mortgage for 1100 a month. I would like in the vicinity of the NE Louisville corridor along Brownsboro Rd going out to I-71 and the Gene Snyder Freeway. Another area of interest would be the east suburbs, around Middletown and Lake Forest and all surrounding neighborhoods. These areas put you only an hour from downtown Lexington and about 25 mins to downtown Louisville.
I found Middletown on Googlemaps....but not Brownsboro Rd or Lake Forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2015, 08:14 AM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,584 posts, read 20,459,831 times
Reputation: 9077
265 to downtown is about 30 minutes in afternoon rush hour,
15 in morning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2015, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Anchorage, KY
242 posts, read 308,012 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanr View Post
How long would it take to get to downtown Louisville when you factor in morning commute time?

Does Louisville have high-occupancy vehicle lanes that are faster but require 2-3 passengers?
There is no place in Jefferson County that's more than a 30 minute commute to downtown even during the morning rush hour. Also many areas in Oldham County in southern Indiana are within a 30 minute commute of downtown.

No, Louisville does not have any HOV lanes at the present time nor are there any plans for them in the near future. Traffic just isn't bad enough to necessitate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top