Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2006, 03:11 PM

20 posts, read 79,534 times

Advertisements

Good evening all!

We may also be moving to the Louisville area from Massachusetts. Talk about culture shock?! Oldham County seems to be the best area for schools - can anyone tell me what towns will give me some charm along with the conveniences of shopping/restaurants/things to do with the kids, etc. Are there any older homes in neighborhoods? I'm not a big fan of new housing...Also, how do people in Kentucky like the area and for what reasons? Kind of nervous about this one - thanks alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2006, 04:02 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary ellen View Post
Good evening all!

We may also be moving to the Louisville area from Massachusetts. Talk about culture shock?! Oldham County seems to be the best area for schools - can anyone tell me what towns will give me some charm along with the conveniences of shopping/restaurants/things to do with the kids, etc. Are there any older homes in neighborhoods? I'm not a big fan of new housing...Also, how do people in Kentucky like the area and for what reasons? Kind of nervous about this one - thanks alot.

You need to move to the city (Jefferson County), and the Highlands neighborhood near Cherokee Park. Here, you can find fabulous refurbished old homes all close to a wonderful, funky urban strip full of shopping, arts, and restuarants. Here, you can live in the actual city and feel safe and raise a family.

If you move to the Highlands, I doubt you will experience culture shock. Don't judge a book by its cover. Louisville is absolutely nothing like KY. It is quite diverse and well cultured.

The public schools in the city are top notch if you get in the magnet school system. The city has the nation's 25th largest school district but it retains good schools with the magnet system.

In 2003, Louisville merged with its suburbs in its county. However, one suburb known as Anchorage, KY has cool old historic homes and retains its own school district which is just one elementary and middle school which rates as probably the top in the state.

The city has an award winning website which is very helpful:

www.louisvilleky.gov

And we have definitely formed a niche as one of America's top cities for relocating familes. Welcome to Louisville metro no matter where you decide to locate, and don't forget there are nice communities across the river in the Indiana suburbs as well which offer a small town feel with bigger city amenities.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:33 AM

20 posts, read 79,534 times
Thanks so much for that information. I hear the state is quite beautiful, I have just been born and raised here. I'll check out that website.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:57 AM

458 posts, read 2,290,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
You need to move to the city (Jefferson County), and the Highlands neighborhood near Cherokee Park. Here, you can find fabulous refurbished old homes all close to a wonderful, funky urban strip full of shopping, arts, and restuarants. Here, you can live in the actual city and feel safe and raise a family.

If you move to the Highlands, I doubt you will experience culture shock. Don't judge a book by its cover. Louisville is absolutely nothing like KY. It is quite diverse and well cultured.

The public schools in the city are top notch if you get in the magnet school system. The city has the nation's 25th largest school district but it retains good schools with the magnet system.

In 2003, Louisville merged with its suburbs in its county. However, one suburb known as Anchorage, KY has cool old historic homes and retains its own school district which is just one elementary and middle school which rates as probably the top in the state.

The city has an award winning website which is very helpful:

www.louisvilleky.gov

And we have definitely formed a niche as one of America's top cities for relocating familes. Welcome to Louisville metro no matter where you decide to locate, and don't forget there are nice communities across the river in the Indiana suburbs as well which offer a small town feel with bigger city amenities.
What are the great Indiana suburbs to look into? What other "small town" feel neighborhoods or suburbs are there of Louisville?

Old 11-15-2006, 11:18 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Well, how small do you want? Collectively, all the S. Indiana towns together make a fairly large area of almost 400,000 people. Some nicer isolated towns in the Indiana suburbs are Greenville, Georgetown, and Floyds Knobs. Really these towns are nothing more than a large collection of subdivisions grouped together off of a main road, respectively. Each of them have their own small shopping areas with a grocery store, gas station, and a few service places like a dry cleaners, chinese place, etc. Floyds Knobs is very scenic hill country and has been drawing some more upscale residents recently. You can usually get more bang for your buck here compared with the KY side, and the schools, especially Floyd Central HS, are excellent. The largest Indiana suburb is New Albany with a population around 50,000. You may not want to live around downtown New Albany but it has an area around I-265 and Charlestown Road which is very nice, between New Albany and Sellersburg.

Sellersburg is also pretty nice. Whenever you live in these areas your main shopping centers will be in New Albany and Clarksville (stuff like Walmart, Target, Best Buy and a basic mall called Greentree with Dillards and some common stuff, plus a Bass Pro Shops).

The nicer suburbs on the KY side with a small town feel are Lagrange, Crestwood, Shelbyville, Shepherdsville, and Mount Washington. They are generally further from downtown than the Indiana suburbs but tend to be a bit "bigger suburbs" so each has its own little strip shopping and basic neighborhood conveniences, especially LaGrange. Sheperdsville and Mount Washington have a decidedly "southern" feel compared to parts of the city of Louisville and the Indiana suburbs which feel very "midwestern."

Old 11-16-2006, 06:18 AM

458 posts, read 2,290,085 times
Thanks for all the Indiana suburb info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area