U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-17-2015, 09:17 AM
eok eok started this thread
 
6,684 posts, read 2,947,722 times
Reputation: 8439

Advertisements

What else is there besides Time Warner and AT&T? Which is worse? I signed up for Time Warner because I had AT&T before I moved here, and didn't like them at all. But my 50mbps Time Warner service is erratic. Some days it spends most of the day trying to reconnect, and connecting for a few minutes or an hour, then doing it again. Also I couldn't believe how incompetent Time Warner seems to be. When I wanted to activate my modem, I got a huge runaround, as if they never heard of such a thing before. And they said they were going to charge my credit card automatically every month, but didn't, and imposed a $7.50 late fee because I didn't know I was supposed to pay it manually. They even said the automatic monthly charges were required, or I would have to post a deposit. They only charged the first month automatically, and imposed the late fee the 2nd month.

But AT&T, I had for years, before moving here, and they kept doing things wrong, almost constantly. When they needed to replace my outside line because of too much DSL noise, they said they were going to bury it around the outside of my yard, so it would be ok for me to dig in the yard, for other projects. But they left the wire lying there for months, and then finally buried it a few inches deep straight across my yard, where they had promised not to. And I had very erratic very slow speed, almost constantly, which they were never able to fix for more than a few weeks at a time. And I kept having to deal with stupid errors almost constantly, such as when they promised rewards for jumping through particular hoops, but failed to deliver those rewards. And those are just a few examples, of almost constant incompetence from AT&T, which is why I signed up for Time Warner this time. Big mistake.

What I want is basic reliable high speed internet service with no hassles. If I can get that, I don't care about anything else. But is it just a pipe dream?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2015, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,434,911 times
Reputation: 7702
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
What else is there besides Time Warner and AT&T? Which is worse? I signed up for Time Warner because I had AT&T before I moved here, and didn't like them at all. But my 50mbps Time Warner service is erratic. Some days it spends most of the day trying to reconnect, and connecting for a few minutes or an hour, then doing it again. Also I couldn't believe how incompetent Time Warner seems to be. When I wanted to activate my modem, I got a huge runaround, as if they never heard of such a thing before. And they said they were going to charge my credit card automatically every month, but didn't, and imposed a $7.50 late fee because I didn't know I was supposed to pay it manually. They even said the automatic monthly charges were required, or I would have to post a deposit. They only charged the first month automatically, and imposed the late fee the 2nd month.

But AT&T, I had for years, before moving here, and they kept doing things wrong, almost constantly. When they needed to replace my outside line because of too much DSL noise, they said they were going to bury it around the outside of my yard, so it would be ok for me to dig in the yard, for other projects. But they left the wire lying there for months, and then finally buried it a few inches deep straight across my yard, where they had promised not to. And I had very erratic very slow speed, almost constantly, which they were never able to fix for more than a few weeks at a time. And I kept having to deal with stupid errors almost constantly, such as when they promised rewards for jumping through particular hoops, but failed to deliver those rewards. And those are just a few examples, of almost constant incompetence from AT&T, which is why I signed up for Time Warner this time. Big mistake.

What I want is basic reliable high speed internet service with no hassles. If I can get that, I don't care about anything else. But is it just a pipe dream?
Welcome to the duopoly. My best advice, if your finances allow, subscribe to both. What you have is two crappy providers. Hopefully between the two, one or the other will be working at any given time. If one is down, at least you have a backup until the other gets fixed. It also gives you leverage with them too. If your service is not working talk to a supervisor and give them an ultimatum. Fix it within 24 hrs (or maybe 48 hrs if they need it) or disconnect it. When you give them an ultimatum like that it's amazing what they can do for you. You can follow through with your threat because you have a back up. They want to screw their customers, but they don't want to lose them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2015, 03:19 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,584 posts, read 20,464,174 times
Reputation: 9077
Your choices are dumb and dumber. My twc service is erratic and they doubled the price from when they bought out Insight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2015, 01:55 AM
eok eok started this thread
 
6,684 posts, read 2,947,722 times
Reputation: 8439
I'm wondering if the erratic connection is because it's supposed to be 50mbps. If I asked them to lower it to one of their more common levels of service, would it be more likely to be reliable that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2015, 05:33 AM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,434,911 times
Reputation: 7702
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I'm wondering if the erratic connection is because it's supposed to be 50mbps. If I asked them to lower it to one of their more common levels of service, would it be more likely to be reliable that way?
No, but it might save you money if you are not actually getting the speed you are paying for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2015, 08:43 AM
 
2,391 posts, read 3,867,557 times
Reputation: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Your choices are dumb and dumber. My twc service is erratic and they doubled the price from when they bought out Insight
They have a sale going on right now.

Also, there are locally owned ISP here but I don't know anything about them.

IgLou Internet Services
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 04:04 PM
 
417 posts, read 381,947 times
Reputation: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
What else is there besides Time Warner and AT&T? Which is worse? I signed up for Time Warner because I had AT&T before I moved here, and didn't like them at all. But my 50mbps Time Warner service is erratic. Some days it spends most of the day trying to reconnect, and connecting for a few minutes or an hour, then doing it again. Also I couldn't believe how incompetent Time Warner seems to be. When I wanted to activate my modem, I got a huge runaround, as if they never heard of such a thing before. And they said they were going to charge my credit card automatically every month, but didn't, and imposed a $7.50 late fee because I didn't know I was supposed to pay it manually. They even said the automatic monthly charges were required, or I would have to post a deposit. They only charged the first month automatically, and imposed the late fee the 2nd month.

But AT&T, I had for years, before moving here, and they kept doing things wrong, almost constantly. When they needed to replace my outside line because of too much DSL noise, they said they were going to bury it around the outside of my yard, so it would be ok for me to dig in the yard, for other projects. But they left the wire lying there for months, and then finally buried it a few inches deep straight across my yard, where they had promised not to. And I had very erratic very slow speed, almost constantly, which they were never able to fix for more than a few weeks at a time. And I kept having to deal with stupid errors almost constantly, such as when they promised rewards for jumping through particular hoops, but failed to deliver those rewards. And those are just a few examples, of almost constant incompetence from AT&T, which is why I signed up for Time Warner this time. Big mistake.

What I want is basic reliable high speed internet service with no hassles. If I can get that, I don't care about anything else. But is it just a pipe dream?
Where do you live? Does location make a difference in service? I am thinking about a move to Louisville, and internet is important to me, as it is for others. Maybe some on this thread can share what they know about locations in the Louisville area and TWC service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 08:09 PM
 
6,296 posts, read 13,179,782 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
Where do you live? Does location make a difference in service? I am thinking about a move to Louisville, and internet is important to me, as it is for others. Maybe some on this thread can share what they know about locations in the Louisville area and TWC service.
Mainly, it is ATT and Time Warner. The good news is TW has been bought by Charter, and they will have a plan for 40/month that gives you around 30mbps by next year.

Iglou is local but I think thy use TW lines...the good thing about them is that the do not charge any hidden fees, equipment rentals or anything else. And since they are local, their customer servixe is better and easier to reach.

In parts of the IN suburbs, Frontier is a great service and value. They do not service the Ky side of the river. Both DISH and DirectTV offer satellite internet..I do not think it is viable if you stream videos or game. It is perfect for light internet users, emailers, and people who read newspapers online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 08:26 PM
 
417 posts, read 381,947 times
Reputation: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Mainly, it is ATT and Time Warner. The good news is TW has been bought by Charter, and they will have a plan for 40/month that gives you around 30mbps by next year.

Iglou is local but I think thy use TW lines...the good thing about them is that the do not charge any hidden fees, equipment rentals or anything else. And since they are local, their customer service is better and easier to reach.

In parts of the IN suburbs, Frontier is a great service and value. They do not service the Ky side of the river. Both DISH and DirectTV offer satellite internet..I do not think it is viable if you stream videos or game. It is perfect for light internet users, emailers, and people who read newspapers online.
Great info! Thanks! I had Comcast when I lived in SE Michigan, and TWC in New England. Same issues everywhere with the lack of competition and poor customer service.

$40/month for 30 mbps is a good price. I'm a cord cutter (retired though, not a millennial, LOL). My current service with TWC is $40 for 15 mbps (for first 12 months), rising to $65 once the 12 month special ends next month. Big price for a modest speed. I use it for streaming Hulu and doing a lot of surfing on news sites, but when I move, I would likely stream movies, so a faster speed would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top