U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 01:16 PM

417 posts, read 381,503 times

Advertisements

Just read about the Kentucky usage tax for cars coming into KY for first time from another state. It says that for new residents of KY - it is calculated as 6% of "Trade-in Value as it appears in the NADA Official Used Car Cost Guide."

Is this the same as property taxes on cars? For new residents bringing in cars from other states and setting up residency, what has been your experience on how much usage tax you had to pay in the first registration? Is this paid every year when renewing registration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 06:02 PM

23,001 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
Just read about the Kentucky usage tax for cars coming into KY for first time from another state. It says that for new residents of KY - it is calculated as 6% of "Trade-in Value as it appears in the NADA Official Used Car Cost Guide."

Is this the same as property taxes on cars? For new residents bringing in cars from other states and setting up residency, what has been your experience on how much usage tax you had to pay in the first registration? Is this paid every year when renewing registration?
The usage tax is a one-time deal, there is a yearly property tax which is usually less. Also be careful with the county clerk's office. When I was at the Hardin County office when I moved there, one clerk tried to get me for the wrong calculation. I was lucky I didn't pay that day b/c of something with the title. I got a different clerk the second time and I ended up paying about $100 less than what the first clerk was going to get me for.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:54 PM

417 posts, read 381,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The usage tax is a one-time deal, there is a yearly property tax which is usually less. Also be careful with the county clerk's office. When I was at the Hardin County office when I moved there, one clerk tried to get me for the wrong calculation. I was lucky I didn't pay that day b/c of something with the title. I got a different clerk the second time and I ended up paying about $100 less than what the first clerk was going to get me for.
Wow, that's a big difference! I'm noticing that other states are doing a one-time "use tax" for cars new to the state, such as North Carolina.

I didn't see any info online about the yearly property tax on cars in KY, how it's calculated, etc. Do you have a link?

Regarding the usage tax: 6% is steep. I drive a 2008 Honda Civic, with a trade in value around $7,000. At 6%, that's $420!! Unbelievable!! I assume that would be in addition to all the other fees associated with registering a car from out of state! Yikes!

Do new residents pay both the use tax and property tax on a car the first year, or just the use tax?

Old 07-22-2015, 09:13 PM

9 posts, read 9,939 times
just moved here from Indiana and went through this earlier this week..i had an old 2005 chevy halfton truck and it cost me a whopping $36 lol so when I went to register my motorcycle I thought that it woild prolly be even cheaper yet..this was a 2006 Honda motorcycle with a rebuilt title which reduces the trade in value by half...man was I wrong..the clerks office didn't even take that into consideration and rated it as a clean trade in value are you freaking kidding me!! I told them several time I don't understand why I have to pay 6 percent rate on a clean trade in value when the title clearly states rebuilt title on it therefore reducing the value..they said they had guide lines they had to follow and there books would not allow the rebuilt title factor into the value equations....what a crock of S#$% so I got reamed for $300.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:46 AM

5 posts, read 3,159 times
I am considering retiring in KY and am concerned about the vehicle usage and sales tax. What I have ascertained so far is the usage tax is a one time 6% tax for newcomers to KY. Usage tax is based on the 6% of the NADA trade in value of your vehicle. The sales tax is currently .45 per 100 dollars of the value of the vehicle and is charged every year. Example, sales tax would be $45 for a vehicle appraised at $10,000. Think the sales tax can vary some by county you live in. Below was copied from Jefferson county website.

"When registering an out-of-state vehicle Commonwealth of Kentucky, proof of insurance is required. When providing the Clerk’s Office with an insurance card it cannot have an Effective/Issue date older than 45 days from the date that it is presented. It is important to note that the effective date of the policy may be different than the effective date of the insurance card. For acceptance, the Clerk’s Office is concerned with the date the card was issued, not the policy. This applies to Personal Policies only. Mandatory Insurance Law"

Old 01-11-2017, 10:55 AM

9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times
My wife moved from IN to KY and paid maybe $200 in tax on her Ford Focus. After that it's around 1% of the vehicle's value per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or