U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 05:47 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,582,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
These are the other gay bars indeed. Nowhere is in the Highlands.

I am pretty sure there is at least one more gay bar in Old Louisville but cannot recall the name.

I know that the Rud and Mag bar are very gay friendly.

The "old Club 21" you refer to is actually called the Cure Lounge and has been for around 4 years. It is in Germantown and is a straight hipster bar, but it is very LGBT friendly.
The other bar is 1408, or whateber it's called now. Used to be Roosters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 07:47 PM

2,611 posts, read 1,768,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry00 View Post
I would look at Clark/Scott/Floyd/Harrison/Washington counties in Indiana if you're looking for acreage, I would say Jefferson County (Louisville) itself would be really expensive on land, but I'm not exactly sure. But Southern Indiana isn't 'Kentucky', so it's not quite as bad. I'm from Southern Indiana, so I can attest that going south of Louisville vs north of Louisville makes a world of difference in terms of how 'uninviting' it gets for anyone who doesn't have a beer gut and drive a Chevy truck. Southern Indiana isn't much better, it's not like Mississippi though, but Kentucky outside metro Louisville and Lexington isn't a place I would want to be. I think it would be more hassles the further south you go into Kentucky, and you start running into more people who think the south will rise again, and that dumb stuff.

I think Louisville has a nicely sized gay population at this point. It has two gay clubs, and about 6-7 other gay bars (I doubt you're into the bar scene, but I figure it's a measure of the liberalness, maybe..), all located pretty centrally in or near downtown. I think the atmosphere is nice, and I've never had any problems, granted I'm not exactly showing PDA in public either, but it's not a stifling environment by any means. It's not New York, but being 21 and having visited New York I would rather live here as a gay guy honestly. The main takeaway is this area is extremely affordable, moderate, and if you get to know your neighbors they aren't going to give you any hassle (this isn't Alabama). lol
Now don't hold back. Why don't you tell us what you really think about the South?

No dis-respect, but your superior attitude does not represent Hoosiers well.

Honestly, I couldn't tell that much difference between North Central Kentucky and South Central Indiana when I spent some time there a few years back, around Tell City and English and Fordsville and Hawksville. Kentucky was a little hillier, but not by much. And they both felt like they were caught in a time warp from a long time ago. If not for the newer vehicles, it could have been 1934. Time just seems to move a little slower in that area of the country. But both sides seemed the same to me. And I couldn't tell a difference in the accents. If I didn't know when I crossed the river, I would not been able to tell if I was in Indiana or Kentucky.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 08-16-2015 at 07:57 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 10:06 PM

6,312 posts, read 13,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Now don't hold back. Why don't you tell us what you really think about the South?

No dis-respect, but your superior attitude does not represent Hoosiers well.

Honestly, I couldn't tell that much difference between North Central Kentucky and South Central Indiana when I spent some time there a few years back, around Tell City and English and Fordsville and Hawksville. Kentucky was a little hillier, but not by much. And they both felt like they were caught in a time warp from a long time ago. If not for the newer vehicles, it could have been 1934. Time just seems to move a little slower in that area of the country. But both sides seemed the same to me. And I couldn't tell a difference in the accents. If I didn't know when I crossed the river, I would not been able to tell if I was in Indiana or Kentucky.
Uh....You are aware the areas you speak about are NOT in metro Louisville and located in rural areas over an hour or 90 mins away? These areas are not even included in the 1.5 million Louisville CSA.

In that area you are spot on. The river is only a political, not a cultural, barrier. Rural southern IN around tell City is exactly the same as areas across the bridge in KY i.e. Hawesville (not "hawksville")

Old 08-16-2015, 11:10 PM

6,704 posts, read 4,201,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Same here. Other than the flattening of the terrain, and the appearance of actual wetlands and even (gasp!) lakes, I have to be halfway to Indianapolis before it stops feeling identical to northern Kentucky.

I'm really learning a lot from this thread. I had no idea there were that many gay bars in Louisville. Never would have guessed it in a million years. That's got to be about twice as many as Minneapolis, otherwise known as the "Frisco of The Plains." I will say that I've noticed a lot more rainbow stickers on cars than I was expecting, but just chalked it up to an observational anomaly.

I know this is going to sound incredibly ignorant, but does Louisville have a Pride Fest or anything like that? Cuz I never noticed. I'm just used to the one in Minneapolis, which was enormous.

OP - obviously I'm no expert on gay culture in Louisville, but I am somewhat informed on the climate. If y'all make the move I'll welcome you as a new neighbor, but please be aware that (as others have mentioned) moving to Louisville to get away from heat and humidity is like moving to Winnipeg to get away from winter. I'd hate to have you get too far into your planning before you realized what you were getting yourselves into heat and humidity-wise.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:20 PM

6,312 posts, read 13,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Same here. Other than the flattening of the terrain, and the appearance of actual wetlands and even (gasp!) lakes, I have to be halfway to Indianapolis before it stops feeling identical to northern Kentucky.

I'm really learning a lot from this thread. I had no idea there were that many gay bars in Louisville. Never would have guessed it in a million years. That's got to be about twice as many as Minneapolis, otherwise known as the "Frisco of The Plains." I will say that I've noticed a lot more rainbow stickers on cars than I was expecting, but just chalked it up to an observational anomaly.

I know this is going to sound incredibly ignorant, but does Louisville have a Pride Fest or anything like that? Cuz I never noticed. I'm just used to the one in Minneapolis, which was enormous.

OP - obviously I'm no expert on gay culture in Louisville, but I am somewhat informed on the climate. If y'all make the move I'll welcome you as a new neighbor, but please be aware that (as others have mentioned) moving to Louisville to get away from heat and humidity is like moving to Winnipeg to get away from winter. I'd hate to have you get too far into your planning before you realized what you were getting yourselves into heat and humidity-wise.
Louisville, if you get out and see it through other's lenses....is a VERY surprising city.

Louisville has not one, but TWO pride fests. Louisville has a massive gay culture, and the mayor recently announced a campaign to make Louisville a destination for gay weddings.

There are 7 hotels under construction or proposed in downtown alone to accommodate this and Louisville's stab in the convention arms race. Again, anyone who thinks they know Louisville is wrong until they get one of my tours (or maybe a realtor or someone who has walked and biked the hundreds of miles of urban streets) to discover all the "nooks and crannies" that make this a great city. You need to get the history too, and my hours spent searching records at the Filson society means I know why what area is what it is today based on history as well. 100 yrs ago, Louisville was one of the largest and densest cities in the USA and thus had the importance that cities like Atlanta or San Diego enjoy today.

BTW, I left out yet another gay bar:
https://www.facebook.com/NewAlbanyPr...o?tab=overview

New Albany's downtown is a viable, walkable, vibrant and historic urban area, If yoh have not been, go down there one weekend and eat at the New Albany Exchange, stop for wine at River City Winery while listening to live music, and then, hop over to Bank St Brewhouse for beer, Comfy Cow for ice cream, or even PRIDE bar for a cocktail.

Another recent development is the development of major ethnic corridors with restaurants ranging from bosnian to senegalese, Nigerian to Vietnamese.

https://www.kypride.com/events/2015/...pride-festival

https://www.facebook.com/events/1490740874488518/

Speaking of Minneapolis, Louisville and that city were neck and neck in a poll of USA today readers for best local restaurant scene in the USA! Louisville was in the lead nearly the entire time until the Twin Cities surpassed it a couple days ago. I think Louisville is likely to come in second place when they announce the winner of the reader poll Friday at noon.

Last edited by Peter1948; 08-17-2015 at 07:30 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 09:24 PM

4 posts, read 2,509 times
As a young ***** adult who just recently moved back to Louisville from Chicago I can say with 100% certainty that Louisville is a progressive city (general speaking). I have never wanted to avoid ANY part of town because of my sexual preference or gender identity. One downside to living in Louisville is its being in Kentucky which is absolutely a conservative state (although not one of the MOST) but Louisville is honestly a haven for gays in Kentucky and the surrounding areas. It has a long LGBT history and is home to one of the most progressive universities in the nation in terms of LGBTQ services (UofL). The visitor's bureau is trying to make the city a hub for gay weddings, even. Just today I saw an article announcing a new magazine catering to the LGBTQ community (it even looks thoughtfully designed!).

Old 09-04-2015, 07:11 AM

4,042 posts, read 3,582,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post

You get away from mainstream louisville(4th st live for example) and pretty much wander around, read the LEO, you'll fimd some things, such as Shakespear In The Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or