Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you live ?
Louisville 12 57.14%
Jeffersonville 3 14.29%
Clarksville 2 9.52%
New albany 6 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,110 times

Advertisements

We moved to Jeffersonville IN a few months ago for work, we don't know anybody here. We have two small kids. I have been really unhappy in Jeffersonville. We always end up driving to restaurants in Louisville. And for grocery, there are no whole food and trader Joe's on this side. People in Jeffersonville don't seem friendly either. I dream about moving to Louisville thinking that it's better for outsiders? We are thinking st. Matthew. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 06:49 AM

4 posts, read 9,170 times
You would probably LOVE living in the St. Matthew area. However, the cost of housing will most likely be more expensive.

I live near St. Matthew, and as an outsider myself, I have never been made to feel unwelcome.

It is especially difficult to establish new relationships now because of the isolation we must endure due to COVID. Normally, a parent with small children could meet other parents with young children in the park, or at library story time, etc. That said, it does seem that lately people are not as friendly, no matter where you go. Maybe this is possibly due to the social unrest we have experienced during this past year?

Old 05-05-2021, 03:44 AM

811 posts, read 887,463 times
I lived in Louisville and found it one of the most welcoming places I have ever lived. Made lasting friendships to this day from living in Louisville in 2016-2017. I think you would likely find Louisville to be better.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:52 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlandGal View Post
You would probably LOVE living in the St. Matthew area. However, the cost of housing will most likely be more expensive.

I live near St. Matthew, and as an outsider myself, I have never been made to feel unwelcome.

It is especially difficult to establish new relationships now because of the isolation we must endure due to COVID. Normally, a parent with small children could meet other parents with young children in the park, or at library story time, etc. That said, it does seem that lately people are not as friendly, no matter where you go. Maybe this is possibly due to the social unrest we have experienced during this past year?

Louisville is literally not the same city it was two years ago. It's going to take change, peace, and a new mayor, but it has the chance to be one of the most upcoming cities in America. Jeff is essentially a suburb of Louisville. Make the move across the bridge, no biggie!

Old 05-09-2021, 12:50 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I won't say S IN is a bad place but I do think the people vibe here is a lot less friendly than the KY side. I moved to New Albany 6 years ago and it's the only place I've ever lived where not a single neighbor welcomed us. I've dealt with the most severe anti social behavior here than everywhere else I've lived combined. People blocking road and refusing to move car so you can get by. Etc. If you try to speak to your neighbor they just glare back at you. Even in the Highlands and Old Louisville people were way friendlier, in other areas I've live in KY people even bring cookies and a gift to a new neighbor. I'd generally describe S IN as having all the redneck culture of the rural South without any of the friendliness or hospitality.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:16 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I won't say S IN is a bad place but I do think the people vibe here is a lot less friendly than the KY side. I moved to New Albany 6 years ago and it's the only place I've ever lived where not a single neighbor welcomed us. I've dealt with the most severe anti social behavior here than everywhere else I've lived combined. People blocking road and refusing to move car so you can get by. Etc. If you try to speak to your neighbor they just glare back at you. Even in the Highlands and Old Louisville people were way friendlier, in other areas I've live in KY people even bring cookies and a gift to a new neighbor. I'd generally describe S IN as having all the redneck culture of the rural South without any of the friendliness or hospitality.
I find that somewhat unfair. The people there are less friendly because it's more Midwestern IMO. KY is full of more southern types. I have tons of property in NA and all my tenants at least are friendly. New Albany is getting a bit uppity and hipster actually. Kind of reminds me of areas near downtown Indy which are similar kinda not as friendly as Louisville.

Old 05-14-2021, 05:34 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairtieicecream View Post
We moved to Jeffersonville IN a few months ago for work, we don't know anybody here. We have two small kids. I have been really unhappy in Jeffersonville. We always end up driving to restaurants in Louisville. And for grocery, there are no whole food and trader Joe's on this side. People in Jeffersonville don't seem friendly either. I dream about moving to Louisville thinking that it's better for outsiders? We are thinking st. Matthew. Thank you in advance!
If nothing else, I’d move across the bridge to Louisville since you spend a lot of time driving to Louisville attractions anyway. I lived in St Matthews for a bit (albeit a good 10 years ago) the location can’t be beat. I don’t think there is that much a difference in friendliness from Jeffersonville and St Matthews however.

Old 03-02-2022, 10:33 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
I think it was Jeffersonville, on I-65 they had a bunch of cheap motels around there. A couple of them had big signs you could see ftom the interstate in big red numbers the price of a room. I well remember paying 6 dollars for a room back in 1973 or 74. It was kind of a dump but it was clean. I always wondered why the cheap motels always seemed to be on the Indiana side of Louisville. I don"t remember any of the nicer chains on the Indiana side along I-65.. I havent been there in several years so its probably changed alot since then.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:48 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I think it was Jeffersonville, on I-65 they had a bunch of cheap motels around there. A couple of them had big signs you could see ftom the interstate in big red numbers the price of a room. I well remember paying 6 dollars for a room back in 1973 or 74. It was kind of a dump but it was clean. I always wondered why the cheap motels always seemed to be on the Indiana side of Louisville. I don"t remember any of the nicer chains on the Indiana side along I-65.. I havent been there in several years so its probably changed alot since then.
You wouldn't recognize Jeffersonville or New Albany at all. There have been massive changes just since 2010. Both Downtowns have a sizable amount of redevelopment, more businesses, restaurants, and Jeffersonville has the Big 4 pedestrian bridge that spans the Ohio River to Louisville that has created a large amount of new growth as well.

Old 03-03-2022, 03:05 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
One of the Rent By The Hour type motels was torn down and replaced with luxury apartments. I've lived here since 2015 and there are new housing developments and improved roads everywhere. It seems like the violent crime wave in Louisville (that isn't spreading to the IN side) is pushing more people over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area