U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 05:02 PM

2,391 posts, read 3,886,025 times

Advertisements

If you're not happy why not move that's the best solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 09:36 PM

798 posts, read 1,945,748 times
We have one in our neighborhood here in southern Indiana, but it's very minimal. About $120 total per year just to maintain the lights and mowing at the entryway. I know there are others that are ridiculous though. I'm personally not a big fan of them either. You're less likely to find them in the city unless you are looking at a condo maybe. Even then, it's not a guarantee you'll have one

Old 08-17-2015, 05:52 AM

19,237 posts, read 11,238,439 times
in Fl they are horrendous. Wonder where do these people come from? not the land of the FREE I will tell you that.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:20 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,972,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
We have one in our neighborhood here in southern Indiana, but it's very minimal. About $120 total per year just to maintain the lights and mowing at the entryway. I know there are others that are ridiculous though. I'm personally not a big fan of them either. You're less likely to find them in the city unless you are looking at a condo maybe. Even then, it's not a guarantee you'll have one
There has to be an association for a condo building. Someone has to be responsible for maintenance of the common areas of that building. My objection to associations, the way they are now, is not that they exist, but their form of government. The usual form of government for HOA's doesn't work very well, unless the people on the board of directors happen to be just the right people, by coincidence. But, over the long run, they tend not to be. It's a built-in flaw of an association's form of government, almost guaranteeing that it will become a nightmare over the long run.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:13 PM

6,305 posts, read 3,611,493 times
I wouldn't even consider a neighborhood that comes with a HOA. Not my thing, sorry.
It seems some people out there must like them though. To each his own, I suppose.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:10 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,972,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I wouldn't even consider a neighborhood that comes with a HOA. Not my thing, sorry.
It seems some people out there must like them though. To each his own, I suppose.
Just because HOA's exist doesn't mean people like them. Some people do, but that's not why they exist. When people buy houses, they usually don't give much thought to such details, and usually just accept whatever comes with the house, HOA or not. The reason why HOA's exist is because nobody else is providing the services provided by the HOA, such as street lights, etc. In the past, taxes paid for such things, in most places. But these days, in a lot of places, taxes pay for lots of incidentals such as political corruption and the pensions of city workers who already retired. So there's not much left for things like street lights. To put it another way, HOA's are a way to increase taxes without calling it a tax increase, so voters don't have to support it. But the flaw that ruins most HOA's, especially over the long run, is their form of government, which nobody is willing to fix, because everybody thinks it has to be the way it is, because they've never seen any different ways.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:59 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,326,703 times
I backed out of a deal in Florida when I saw the HOA manifesto. It was clearly written so the henchmen, or 'board', could make life miserable for anyone, at any time they saw fit. If one of them determined they didnt like you, it could have cost you dearly in money and quality of life. As thick as a New York phone book, reading like something the taliban would put out, we paid a penalty we really didnt need to pay, and ran from the contract. Who can live looking over their shoulder all the time? We ended up here, so I look at it like divine intervention. A small price to pay for cutting the ties with Floridistan and ending up here

Old 08-30-2015, 12:00 PM

5,658 posts, read 8,787,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I backed out of a deal in Florida when I saw the HOA manifesto. It was clearly written so the henchmen, or 'board', could make life miserable for anyone, at any time they saw fit. If one of them determined they didnt like you, it could have cost you dearly in money and quality of life. As thick as a New York phone book, reading like something the taliban would put out, we paid a penalty we really didnt need to pay, and ran from the contract. Who can live looking over their shoulder all the time? We ended up here, so I look at it like divine intervention. A small price to pay for cutting the ties with Floridistan and ending up here
Yeah, that is my impression as well. Read a few of these things online for some properties out west and decided it would be foolish to even consider buying a property in an area that has a mandatory HOA to join.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:48 AM

16 posts, read 12,052 times
Thanks for all of your help and advice everyone! Much appreciated!

Old 09-13-2015, 01:17 PM

242 posts, read 309,686 times
There obviously are many reasons that HOAs were initially formed but one of the biggest ones is that Louisville historically has had very weak zoning laws. Because of this many newly formed neighborhoods felt that in order to protect property values they needed to impose some stricter regulations on development in their communities.

While some HOAs are a pain the biggest majority of them are very easy to work with and not a problem at all. I'm actually on the board of directors for the one in our neighborhood. Our dues are $200 per year which includes streetlighting, landscaping in our entrance and islands in the neighborhood and snow removal when required. Snow removal is something that the government doesn't do in many subdivisions here, they only do main highways so it's something that is very important for HOAs to cover. We only had to have it done twice last year but without it it would be difficult for our residents. I can't think of any time recently that the HOA has had to pursue any issues with any of our residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area