U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 02:20 PM

1,124 posts, read 800,568 times

Advertisements

It's been a long time coming, but my wife and I are seriously considering coming back to Louisville (we're also very seriously considering Raleigh-Durham). We both have different things that we're looking for in a home, and single story ranches is one we agree that we do not want. However, in our price range (~$1200/mo rent) there aren't many available that aren't SSRs.

Our preferences that we agree on:

1200+ sq ft
Ideally 3BR, 1.5+ BA or 2BR with den and 1.5+ BA
would prefer a basement
safe, not gentrifying neighborhood
decent amount of space/privacy between homes
min. 1 car garage
room in the master for our King bed that doesn't then choke the rest of the room

That last requirement usually nixes most older homes, as master BR sizes are much smaller in older homes on average.

I would love an area like St Matthews or the Frankfort/Lexington Ave area, but can't find many rentals around there, let alone in our price range. My parents live in Prospect, and we'd want to be within a decent distance of them (but not TOO close). The wife will not agree to live on the IN side of the river.

Does such a home exist in the metro area or are we going to have to compromise a bunch? Would a realtor help with finding a rental?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 03:19 PM

6,297 posts, read 13,185,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
It's been a long time coming, but my wife and I are seriously considering coming back to Louisville (we're also very seriously considering Raleigh-Durham). We both have different things that we're looking for in a home, and single story ranches is one we agree that we do not want. However, in our price range (~$1200/mo rent) there aren't many available that aren't SSRs.

Our preferences that we agree on:

1200+ sq ft
Ideally 3BR, 1.5+ BA or 2BR with den and 1.5+ BA
would prefer a basement
safe, not gentrifying neighborhood
decent amount of space/privacy between homes
min. 1 car garage
room in the master for our King bed that doesn't then choke the rest of the room

That last requirement usually nixes most older homes, as master BR sizes are much smaller in older homes on average.

I would love an area like St Matthews or the Frankfort/Lexington Ave area, but can't find many rentals around there, let alone in our price range. My parents live in Prospect, and we'd want to be within a decent distance of them (but not TOO close). The wife will not agree to live on the IN side of the river.

Does such a home exist in the metro area or are we going to have to compromise a bunch? Would a realtor help with finding a rental?
yes, and yes.

Your requirements are easy...I can find you a home in a few minutes. What is your budget (is 1200 really max)? In St. Matthews, that type of home rental will cost you big bucks in Louisville dollars...

https://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/5164706123.html

https://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/5213325994.html

https://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/5184506050.html (ideal, but the price is not!)

Once you get into that 1500 price range, you can rent anywhere, even Prospect:

https://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/5209808857.html

These houses come up all the time....it is matter of the right "timing" to find the one that is renovated and sized to fit your needs in the right area.

Then again, maybe you rent for a few months and then buy. If you can put 20% down, you can buy a 400,000 dollar home for less than these rentals! There are lots more options, but these get your feet wet. Can you come visit?

If it were me, I would go upper Highlands:

https://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/5178796932.html

This is my winner for you, and I assure you 100% it is walkable to everything. for 1300 on a single family street in an upscale area, you cannot beat this rental IMO. There is no area like this that can even come close it the walkability or urbanity in Raleigh. I should know as I lived there for almost a year.

Good deal here for a renovated Highlands house (not in the most walkable part of Highlands but very upscale and safe). Not really a "ranch" but a one story home:

https://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/5145472218.html

Last edited by Peter1948; 09-11-2015 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-12-2015, 11:38 PM

I neglected to mention we have a cat.

Some of those look nice, and yes $1,200 is actually $200 more than I really wanted to spend. The biggest challenge from looking at the interior photos is finding a big enough master bedroom for the king bed. We're going to have to live on my salary only for a while as my wife begins her own freelancing business, and I'm going to have to stop or slow my retirement savings in order to get to $1,200. $1,500 isn't even near the radar at this point, and we don't want to be in Prospect...that's a bit too close for comfort.

Buying just isn't an option until we're there for a few years. We don't have enough saved for a down payment and have a history of bouncing around, which makes buying a home an unwise choice for the most part.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:03 PM

Officially moving to the city sometime in Dec/Jan. Not the ideal time to move, I know.

Here's our updated rental wish list (courtesy of my wife):

Newer construction 2-story home with garage and basement
Accepts pets
1500+ sq ft
at least 3 BR and 1.5+ BA
priced $1,200/mo or less
East of I-64 but not too far out (not NE Oldham or Central or Eastern Shelby)
large master BR

It seems like there are some options, but I feel like it might be too early for an owner/landlord to agree to a move-in in late December at the earliest right now.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Officially moving to the city sometime in Dec/Jan. Not the ideal time to move, I know.

Here's our updated rental wish list (courtesy of my wife):

Newer construction 2-story home with garage and basement
Accepts pets
1500+ sq ft
at least 3 BR and 1.5+ BA
priced $1,200/mo or less
East of I-64 but not too far out (not NE Oldham or Central or Eastern Shelby)
large master BR

It seems like there are some options, but I feel like it might be too early for an owner/landlord to agree to a move-in in late December at the earliest right now.
Congrats on the move home. Let me know if I can help. You are moving at the worst time here...but Spring will be fun for you. I will be on the lookout. Would you consider a condo?

Old 10-19-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Congrats on the move home. Let me know if I can help. You are moving at the worst time here...but Spring will be fun for you. I will be on the lookout. Would you consider a condo?
I think we'd probably end up in a newer apartment (like the ones by KCD) in a 2 BR before we did a condo. I'm thinking probably a 6 month lease so we can figure out if we want to buy in the summer or not. The last thing I want to do is sign a 1 year lease and be stuck looking for houses around xmas again.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I think we'd probably end up in a newer apartment (like the ones by KCD) in a 2 BR before we did a condo. I'm thinking probably a 6 month lease so we can figure out if we want to buy in the summer or not. The last thing I want to do is sign a 1 year lease and be stuck looking for houses around xmas again.
I think that is probably a good idea. Or, you could rent month to month until like March. Then, you could sign a year lease in March so if you wanted to buy, it would be for march 2017.

The NE quadrant of Louisville is the best for families. I live in Prospect. It is a really neat area that is growing fast for a suburban area. If you want to go that far out, then there is none better than Veranda:

Veranda at Norton Commons - Louisville, KY - 502.889.1727

If I had my druthers, I would live closer in to the city, but I am consolidating some of my rentals from other states to the urban area here, as I believe this is the next hot market. Reminds me very much of Austin circa 1992.

If you wanted to live more centrally, and I recommend you do bc it is easier to explore the whole city that way bc it has changed alot, then I would look here:

Amp Apartments-Louisville

It should be finished soon, and I bet there are giving some pre finishing specials.

Alot of these places negotiate...do not be afraid to ask, and come armed with the name of a few complexes and even make up stuff ("well so and so has two bedrooms with all the upgrades for 1000").

Here is another well located, completely rehabbed property. Hard to find this kind of "complex" with these kind of finishes in such a walkable and safe part of the Highlands:

The Avenue Pet-Friendly Apartments in Louisville, Kentucky

I dunno..I just cannot see coming from San Fran and all those amenities and living in a suburban 3 story vinyl sided apartment complex with the typical parking lot and tennis court set up.

You may be well aware that the best rentals in Louisville are near Cherokee Park and often are on craigslist or unadvertised....simply drive around and call for rent signs. I would be happy to help you out when you arrive. Are you definitely wanting more of a "complex" versus renting a house/flat? Be careful of some the suburban complexes...they are very inward and antiurban, and it makes it very difficult to meet neighbors. What I like about Veranda is at least it has some top notch amenities and is walkable to a bar, a few shops and restaurants, and a soon to be sports bar opening across the street.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I think that is probably a good idea. Or, you could rent month to month until like March. Then, you could sign a year lease in March so if you wanted to buy, it would be for march 2017.

The NE quadrant of Louisville is the best for families. I live in Prospect. It is a really neat area that is growing fast for a suburban area. If you want to go that far out, then there is none better than Veranda:

Veranda at Norton Commons - Louisville, KY - 502.889.1727

If I had my druthers, I would live closer in to the city, but I am consolidating some of my rentals from other states to the urban area here, as I believe this is the next hot market. Reminds me very much of Austin circa 1992.

If you wanted to live more centrally, and I recommend you do bc it is easier to explore the whole city that way bc it has changed alot, then I would look here:

Amp Apartments-Louisville

It should be finished soon, and I bet there are giving some pre finishing specials.

Alot of these places negotiate...do not be afraid to ask, and come armed with the name of a few complexes and even make up stuff ("well so and so has two bedrooms with all the upgrades for 1000").

Here is another well located, completely rehabbed property. Hard to find this kind of "complex" with these kind of finishes in such a walkable and safe part of the Highlands:

The Avenue Pet-Friendly Apartments in Louisville, Kentucky

I dunno..I just cannot see coming from San Fran and all those amenities and living in a suburban 3 story vinyl sided apartment complex with the typical parking lot and tennis court set up.

You may be well aware that the best rentals in Louisville are near Cherokee Park and often are on craigslist or unadvertised....simply drive around and call for rent signs. I would be happy to help you out when you arrive. Are you definitely wanting more of a "complex" versus renting a house/flat? Be careful of some the suburban complexes...they are very inward and antiurban, and it makes it very difficult to meet neighbors. What I like about Veranda is at least it has some top notch amenities and is walkable to a bar, a few shops and restaurants, and a soon to be sports bar opening across the street.
I grew up in Hunting Creek in Prospect and am most familiar with a 5-7 mile radius around it, along with the Highlands and Douglass Hills areas, but am less familiar with the rest. My parents still live in the house I grew up in, so I'll be there often again.

My wife grew up in a middle-class gated community in suburban South Florida, so her tastes are going back toward that suburban newness after living in our current apartment which is an old Victorian house built in 1900 that was converted into 4 apartments (ours being a 1BR around 600 sqft for $2,500/mo) . I love the older craftsman style or mid-century modern homes, something with character. We're the perfect HGTV house hunters couple - can't agree on anything, so I gotta go with the happy wife happy life philosophy for now until I can find an older home that doesn't feel closed in and has a big master bedroom and basement.

I travel a LOT, so being within 15-20 minutes of SDF would be great, and to me that puts areas along the I-71 Oldham corridor out of the picture with southwestern Prospect being the farthest I think I could be. I was hoping if there was a quiet area around Hursbourne/Shelbyville that had something new-ish that might work out well.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I grew up in Hunting Creek in Prospect and am most familiar with a 5-7 mile radius around it, along with the Highlands and Douglass Hills areas, but am less familiar with the rest. My parents still live in the house I grew up in, so I'll be there often again.

My wife grew up in a middle-class gated community in suburban South Florida, so her tastes are going back toward that suburban newness after living in our current apartment which is an old Victorian house built in 1900 that was converted into 4 apartments (ours being a 1BR around 600 sqft for $2,500/mo) . I love the older craftsman style or mid-century modern homes, something with character. We're the perfect HGTV house hunters couple - can't agree on anything, so I gotta go with the happy wife happy life philosophy for now until I can find an older home that doesn't feel closed in and has a big master bedroom and basement.

I travel a LOT, so being within 15-20 minutes of SDF would be great, and to me that puts areas along the I-71 Oldham corridor out of the picture with southwestern Prospect being the farthest I think I could be. I was hoping if there was a quiet area around Hursbourne/Shelbyville that had something new-ish that might work out well.
To fit all your needs, I think St Matthews is the best compromise. Unfortunately, as you know, the areas along Shelbyville rd have been built out since the 1980s or before.

This place is pretty darn nice though. Before the apartment, flip and rehab boom of the last 5 years, this was the go to spot for many young professionals relocating to the city:

Waterford Place Apartment Homes-Louisville | Photos

Exactly 20 mins to SDF. Has been rehabbed in last 5 years. Can get a nice 2 bedroom for around 1100-1200. 3 mins to Brown Park, Whole Foods, and of course both major malls for your wife.

Most of the newer construction apartments COMPLEXES are happening
A) outside the 265 loop (this includes Indiana).
B) In Urban Infill areas....I mentioned a few in a thread that compares Louisville to Indianapolis, KC, and Nashville.

Another nice compromise of city living that feels suburban is River park place:

WaterSide at RiverPark Place

Walk to the Big Four Bridge and along the marina every day. 5 mins to great eats and shopping in Clifton/Crescent Hill. 10 mins to Highlands. 15 to SDF and St Matthews. 20 mins to your parents in Prospect. Plus you can explore some of the really neat little up and coming areas...New Albany, Jeffersonville, Butchertown, Nulu, Old Louisville, Germantown all come to mind. I think you will enjoy the restaurant scene in Nulu...feels very much like a big city restaurant corridor like youd see in Brooklyn or San Fran, but laid back Louisville style.

The closest brand spanking new apartments, off the top of my head, close to Hurstbourne and Shelbyville, would be LC Idlewild, at Shelbyville and the Gene Snyder. This complex has attracted alot of young professionals for a rather bland suburban location, and it has all the amenities, including its own sports bar/pub where many neighbors meet for drinks after work

The Goat - 39 Photos - Bars - Louisville, KY - Reviews - Yelp

And if your wife is from San Fran....some of these places like The Avenue in the Highlands.....theyre urban, but NOT San Fran urban. My thoughts are to at least look at them. But you are correct...most will not have walk in closets, etc. If you REALLY look, you can definitely find an older home/condo that is a rental that has been updated with all the bells and whistles, walk in closets, large bathroooms, etc. But it would be hard to find that for 1200 in the city areas.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:10 PM

Waterside is a bit out of our range without a big compromise on size. Waterford is pretty small also, they're all less than 1,100 sq ft though they're in budget.

I was thinking something along the lines of Hurstbourne Grand, even though I'm not particularly giddy about that location. Floor Plans | Hurstbourne Grand Apartments | Louisville, KY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or