U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 07:44 PM

9 posts, read 7,930 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (both in our lower 30's), along with our two young children (2.5 years old and 3 months old) are considering moving to Louisville. We have been asked to move with his company, and we are allowed to choose which city to live in, as long as it is within his territory- all of the Ohio Valley. We are currently choosing between Louisville, Indianapolis, and Nashville.

My husband's office will be out of our home, so he will not have a daily commute. I am a stay at home mom, so commute is not an issue for me either. However, my husband will be traveling quite a bit, so closer to the airport would be a plus, but living in a nice, safe, family friendly area is more important than proximity to the airport. We would like to purchase a home, and would like to spend no more than $300,000.

Once our children are old enough, we would ideally put them in a quality public school. Quality schools are extremely important to us, so that would be a main factor in choosing a location to live. We would like to live in the suburbs, and bonus points for having plenty of family-friendly things to do (libraries, parks, etc.). We'd also like a place with a large variety of restaurants and entertainment, as well as close to shopping.

We would love any suggestions for which suburbs would be best to focus our search on, and which ones would be best to avoid. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 11:19 PM

6,274 posts, read 3,573,356 times
St Matthews, Prospect. Maybe consider Fern Creek or J-Town (Louisville native, but it has been years since I have lived there.) Louisivlle is a fun city with lots of parks, culture and lots of things to do.
If I were moving to Louisville with school age children, I would probably opt into looking at Oldham County or even right across the river in Indiana, due to the weird busing plan Louisville uses for Public Schools...or I would look into Private schools.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:02 AM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenabie00 View Post
My husband and I (both in our lower 30's), along with our two young children (2.5 years old and 3 months old) are considering moving to Louisville. We have been asked to move with his company, and we are allowed to choose which city to live in, as long as it is within his territory- all of the Ohio Valley. We are currently choosing between Louisville, Indianapolis, and Nashville.

My husband's office will be out of our home, so he will not have a daily commute. I am a stay at home mom, so commute is not an issue for me either. However, my husband will be traveling quite a bit, so closer to the airport would be a plus, but living in a nice, safe, family friendly area is more important than proximity to the airport. We would like to purchase a home, and would like to spend no more than $300,000.

Once our children are old enough, we would ideally put them in a quality public school. Quality schools are extremely important to us, so that would be a main factor in choosing a location to live. We would like to live in the suburbs, and bonus points for having plenty of family-friendly things to do (libraries, parks, etc.). We'd also like a place with a large variety of restaurants and entertainment, as well as close to shopping.

We would love any suggestions for which suburbs would be best to focus our search on, and which ones would be best to avoid. Thanks.
Oldham County...IMO Louisville is the most family friendly and least traffic of any city listed. It also has the best parks and restaurants scene in this region.

Downsides are lack of pro sports and some of the basic name brand shopping is missing such as Crate and Barrel (but a quick drive to Cincy is no big deal.) In a way, Louisivlle's local boutique shopping is more interesting, and certainly the arts and culture is more interesting. Louisville has plenty of malls and even a very large and growing outlet mall, and don't forget the Gilt pop up store here comes every summer and is nothing short of amazing (I bought 5 grand of upscale retail value furniture for 1 grand!)

If you look in Oldham County around say, Glen Oaks subdivison (make sure you are on Oldham side) I think that area into Crestwood and Pewee Valley is the ideal location for you. Also Prospect and Goshen.

Don't totally overlook the Indiana suburbs....Floyds Knobs gives you twice the home for the same price and as good as or better schools than Oldham.

I am the biggest proponent there is of urban Louisville...downtown, nulu, old Louisville, germantown, butcher town, and especially highlands, clifton, and crescent hill. Consider these areas, especially the Highlands, should you want to use parochial or private schools. IMO Louisville has that small town family flair with all the big city amenities. To me Nashville and Indy are a good clip bigger in metro area which means more traffic ,sprawl, and crime.

Please PM me and I can give you more info....Louisville shines brightest during one of its family friendly festivals...there are some neat ones coming up like Nulufest Sept 26 and St James Art fair Oct 2 and 3. Let me know!

Old 09-14-2015, 09:44 AM

9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times
Best public schools outside Jefferson Co are Oldham Co and Floyd Central Indiana (basically Floyd Co outside the city of New Albany).

Old 09-15-2015, 11:00 AM

1,123 posts, read 798,460 times
Where does your husband travel for work? I spent 17 years in Louisville (and am considering moving back in Jan), 8 years in Indy and have visited Nashville for work often. I fly roughly 50k miles a year, so I can offer a bit of my experience and hopefully that will help.

One of the challenges of living in Louisville can be flying out of SDF, but it really depends on where you're going. If he travels all over the country, then SDF might not be the best choice, resulting in a bunch of connecting flights (mo' connections, mo' problems!). If he works mainly in major cities (Chicago, NYC, Miami, DC, Dallas, Charlotte, etc) then you won't have a problem getting direct flights out of SDF and it's an incredibly easy airport to navigate and use (especially if you have TSA pre-check).

Indy has the newest airport in the US (it's the only one built post 9/11), and is very very nice. The problem with IND for you and your family is that the most desireable neighborhoods in Indy are at least 30-45 minutes away from the airport, which isn't ideal, especially in the wintertime. IND does offer a few more direct flights, especially to west coast cities than SDF does though which cuts down on possible connections.

I can't speak for the best suburbs in Nashville, but their airport in my opinion is probably somewhere between Louisville and Indy on the continuum. My experience with BNA is only with Southwest Airlines, and they're one of my least favorite airlines, especially for business travel, and the airport isn't much to look at. Nashville is growing as a metropolis probably faster than the other two cities you're looking at, which is mostly positive but can bring growing pains with infrastructure as well.

I personally despise Indy, but it does have some redeeming qualities. I would choose Louisville or Nashville if I were you guys, and take a weekend trip up to Indy and go to their Children's museum - it's one of the best in the US.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:35 AM

12 posts, read 13,853 times
Hi,

I highly recommend Louisville. I moved back 5 years ago from Chicago to be closer to family and very happy with our choice. There are so many activities for families, and it's so easy to get around. I was surprised by how many great local restaurants, parks, sports, festivals, etc. And the downtown has changed dramatically over the years w/waterfront park. Regardless of what suburb you live in everything takes 20 min to get to. I live in Jtown and it's 15 min from airport. It's harder to get to airport living in Oldham Co or far east though.

If you're looking for an older house w/mature trees and walking distance to parks/restaurants (in the heart of Louisville) I recommend highlands, st Mathews, Frankfort ave,...but the houses will need some work and small. And more of an urban feel, but lots of families reside still.

If you're looking for a nice/newer home in a suburb (close to chain stores, etc)...I recommend Jtown (best value), Fern Creek, Middletown, far east off 64 E interstate and neighborhoods NE off Brownsboro Rd/Chamberlain Rd/Westport Rd. Based on schools, I would say Middletown area maybe a good pick b/c in school clusters elem, middle and hs are good. Jtown area we have good elem, but middle and HS are a challenge. The challenging thing about school system is that it's so large but each cluster usually has 1-2 good elementary school choices if you do not like your residing school. And a good amount go to catholic schools, it's actually pretty reasonable compared to other cities...about $5k per child w/discount for siblings. Oldham County (LaGrange and Crestwood) is a good option if schools is your only priority...it was too far out for us and felt we wouldn't take advantage of all the city has to offer.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:32 AM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kp8888 View Post
Hi,

I highly recommend Louisville. I moved back 5 years ago from Chicago to be closer to family and very happy with our choice. There are so many activities for families, and it's so easy to get around. I was surprised by how many great local restaurants, parks, sports, festivals, etc. And the downtown has changed dramatically over the years w/waterfront park. Regardless of what suburb you live in everything takes 20 min to get to. I live in Jtown and it's 15 min from airport. It's harder to get to airport living in Oldham Co or far east though.

If you're looking for an older house w/mature trees and walking distance to parks/restaurants (in the heart of Louisville) I recommend highlands, st Mathews, Frankfort ave,...but the houses will need some work and small. And more of an urban feel, but lots of families reside still.

If you're looking for a nice/newer home in a suburb (close to chain stores, etc)...I recommend Jtown (best value), Fern Creek, Middletown, far east off 64 E interstate and neighborhoods NE off Brownsboro Rd/Chamberlain Rd/Westport Rd. Based on schools, I would say Middletown area maybe a good pick b/c in school clusters elem, middle and hs are good. Jtown area we have good elem, but middle and HS are a challenge. The challenging thing about school system is that it's so large but each cluster usually has 1-2 good elementary school choices if you do not like your residing school. And a good amount go to catholic schools, it's actually pretty reasonable compared to other cities...about $5k per child w/discount for siblings. Oldham County (LaGrange and Crestwood) is a good option if schools is your only priority...it was too far out for us and felt we wouldn't take advantage of all the city has to offer.
welcome to the forum....excellent first post! Hope to see more of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or