U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 02:48 PM

5,620 posts, read 13,301,589 times

Advertisements

I'm from LA. Was my second winter. First was in Southern Europe in Bologna and Madrid where it does snow and go into the 10s. But Louisville was the first winter I spent with temperatures below 0. Honestly wasn't that bad at all. Just layer and bundle up properly.

As for the roads though, Louisville likes to play the line between Southern/Midwestern. However, when the snow falls it's as southern as can be. 6 inches threw us into a state of emergency. I lived in the South End, so while not urban and central, it's still a large and relatively dense neighborhood. My street wasn't plowed or salted for 3 days. Eventually enough 4x4 and AWD cars cut a path through and melted enough snow to drive on the streets. But for several days after, my street and the one connecting me to the main road were like ice rinks. When the second big storm hit and we got over a foot of snow over the night, the city was better prepared this time and my road was salted and plowed almost immediately. UofL still canceled classes, which was great. But also pretty funny because nearly all Kentucky colleges and grade schools were closed for a few days, but just over the river Indiana University Southeast was in session. That state just has more resources than we do to handle snow removal.

That said, the drivers here suck. I've driven in many cities all across the country. Hands down, Louisville drivers scare me the most. I see way more accidents than I should. I see some of the stupidest driving maneuvers on the roads. Some of the accidents I've seen make legitimately no sense as to how a sane person could cause that. Just in general, people have no idea how to drive here. They like to blame it on Ohio and Indiana drivers. While they're just as bad, and maybe worse, the majority of drivers on the road have KY plates and the majority of the wrecked cars do too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 07:03 PM

2,391 posts, read 3,866,540 times
Quote:
That said, the drivers here suck. I've driven in many cities all across the country. Hands down, Louisville drivers scare me the most. I see way more accidents than I should. I see some of the stupidest driving maneuvers on the roads. Some of the accidents I've seen make legitimately no sense as to how a sane person could cause that. Just in general, people have no idea how to drive here. They like to blame it on Ohio and Indiana drivers. While they're just as bad, and maybe worse, the majority of drivers on the road have KY plates and the majority of the wrecked cars do too.
I'm from here and agree more than 100% with you. When someone has to get out of their car to see if they can fit or drive between 2 cars is insane~! This happened to me at a Wild Eggs since there is hardly any parking there and I blew the horn and what does she do, but gets out to check if she could fit between the 2 cars. I think something is definitely wrong there~!

Old 09-27-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I'm from here and agree more than 100% with you. When someone has to get out of their car to see if they can fit or drive between 2 cars is insane~! This happened to me at a Wild Eggs since there is hardly any parking there and I blew the horn and what does she do, but gets out to check if she could fit between the 2 cars. I think something is definitely wrong there~!
Two weeks ago I was getting on the 264 west from Shelbeyville Rd. Right after the 64 east lane splits from the 264 merging lanes, an SUV was wrecked against the pillar in the grass. The car was legitimately facing perpendicular to the pillar. It had not flipped because the roof was completely intact. But it was perpendicular across all the lanes, wrecked head-on into the pillar supporting the 64 above it. I have no idea to this day how that can happen.

Just last week a classmate died on his motorcycle because someone decided to change lanes, didn't see him, he swerved to avoid the car, and hit the median on the 264 east.

Driving on Southern Parkway, most vehicles don't know how to stay in their own lane. I honk at them to move over so I can pass them since they take up both lanes, but they only move over slightly for a few seconds, not nearly enough for me to pass them.

I've been almost run into the median by semi trucks I think 3 times now, when nothing like that ever happened to me before I moved here.

I honestly don't even know what else. I think at this point I'm jaded to it to the point that it pisses me off while it's happening, but I forgot about it a minute later because a new person is now driving stupidly.

That said, add black ice, snow, or heavy rain to the mix and you have a catastrophe on your hands.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:11 AM

9,584 posts, read 20,459,831 times
One thing with Louisville drivers is you have two mentalties: the big city / aggressive kind, switching 3 lanes in one second, tailgating, etc, and you have Bubba and John Boy in driving on the freeway at 50 mph in their 1989 Ford truck loaded to the brim with old mufflers that have bolts falling out. I recently went on vacation to the Milwaukee / Chicago / SW Michigan area and didn't see that one time until I got within 50 miles of Kentucky. Here they're everywhere.

Also re winter weather, the type of heat you have makes a big difference. All electric heat pumps can not handle real cold and will run all the time, which dries out your whole nose and throat. If you have gas heat with a good humidifier hooked to it or a fireplace it's much more tolerable.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:43 AM

261 posts, read 416,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Want a cheap vacation of Eastern Kentucky? Go to the Wal Mart in New Albany.

Lots of old pickup trucks in the lower income areas and seems like 70% of people are smoking while driving. Sometimes I feel like I've stepped in a time machine back to rural KY in the 1980s when I drive 8th St Rd lol

Ha, so true.

The funny thing about all of the missing headlights around Southern Indiana is that you often see it on nicer newer model cars. I can't blame it all on people driving 1987 Ford pickup trucks. Just this weekend I saw a decent 2000's Mercedes in New Albany that had a headlight out.

Like I said, it's just impossible to drive at night in New Albany without encountering cars with missing headlights. I love the Louisville/Southern Indiana area, but there is just a fundamental oblivious ignorance among the drivers. Louisville drivers are certainly better, but as an above poster said, you get a lot of aggressive drivers who drive as if they're on the Eisenhower in Chicago. That doesn't bother me as much as the slow poking though.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:26 AM

What also bothers me is people not using their turn signals here~! Do they not install them on their fancy cars.....as I am thinking when I see this. Or they use their signal at the last moment~! Or the car dashes out of nowhere in front of you barely misses your car~!

Old 09-28-2015, 09:53 AM

261 posts, read 416,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
What also bothers me is people not using their turn signals here~! Do they not install them on their fancy cars.....as I am thinking when I see this. Or they use their signal at the last moment~! Or the car dashes out of nowhere in front of you barely misses your car~!

Yep, like I said last week, people around Southern Indiana treat turn signals like some rare disease that should be avoided at all costs. You certainly don't want to tailgate here because cars are always slamming on their brakes and making jerky turns with no signaling.

I'm so glad you brought up cars pulling out right in front of you. If you're going to pull out right in front of someone who's traveling at a relatively high speed, then you better lay on the gas hard so that your car reaches a high speed quickly. The problem in Southern Indiana is that you always get people who pull close turns to get in front of you, THEN FAIL TO LAY ON THE GAS and just putt putt right along, which forces you to hit your brakes. For an urban area, the quality of drivers in Southern Indiana is just awful.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:30 AM

20,170 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Getting back to weather, I do anticipate that this winter in Louisville area will be milder than the prior one. Anything that Louisville offers in terms of temperatures will be mild compared to what I experienced the last few years living in the Great Lakes region.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Getting back to weather, I do anticipate that this winter in Louisville area will be milder than the prior one. Anything that Louisville offers in terms of temperatures will be mild compared to what I experienced the last few years living in the Great Lakes region.

No, I heard differently about the weather. I heard we are going to have another bad winter. Not like last winter, but still not good news. Whose ready for winter, not me

Old 09-28-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Compared to the Great Lakes region, yeah, Louisville will be quite mild. The average temperatures are quite a bit warmer, but it still got very cold here. I'm assuming since Louisville is supposed to have a winter as bad as or even worse than last years, that it will be maybe average for a Great Lakes winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or