U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:59 AM

9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times

Advertisements

Yeah, pretty much Oldham Co KY or Floyd Co outside New Albany IN would be your top choices. Both areas are more exurban than suburban but close to the city. Lots in your range are the norm in either place and crime is nearly non existent. Floyd Co area would be a bit closer than Oldham Co to your work location and in general would have less traffic backups, but not a huge difference.

JCPS seems to scare outsiders but I know lots of people from Louisville who attended public schools and had a good experience.

There is no NBA team in Louisville, unfortunately the community hasn't united on the issue. L'ville has literally turned down the NBA twice and used to have one of the best ABA teams. Nearest NBA team is in Indy, ~110 miles away. College basketball is huge here and probably nowhere are average people so basketball literate. The Average Joe in these parts knows more about basketball than a high school coach in Texas. Attendance figures for local college bball teams here is more than most NBA teams (U of L and UK get over 20k at 7pm on Wed during a snow storm) and the atmosphere is outstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 04:05 PM

1,124 posts, read 798,460 times
I went to Ballard and grew up in Prospect (I'm 39 now). It's a good quality school, but it's also a public school and it also has a pretty darn good basketball history, producing one of the NBA's top 50 all-time players in Allan Houston.

Oldham schools are probably a bit better academically on average, but aren't as good athletically from a historical perspective in the 2 major sports. The primary opinion I've seen for that is because JCPS buses kids from the inner city to suburban schools, and it (among other factors) brings their averages down. I personally am incredibly grateful for that busing program, as I made some good friends that I never would have had the chance to meet if I was stuck in standard suburban life and went to an Oldham County school (they only had one when I was that age). It's a much more diverse group of students than you'll likely get in an Oldham school.

Oldham County does meet many of your requests, with the exception of commute time. It's a primary suburban area now, and I-71 gets quite congested at rush hours. The commute for me from Crestwood when I worked at the airport in my early college years was roughly 30-35 minutes, and from what I understand the morning commute isn't terrible still, but the weekday evening commute could be an hour or so if you hit the full brunt of traffic on 264-265 or I-71. Unfortunately, that's really the only area that ticks off the large majority of your boxes, including the empty plots of land still. Inside of I-265 is pretty well developed at this point.

As Peter said, the East side of Indiana near the new bridge would become that much more appealing once the bridge on I-265 is complete. Prospect is a good option as well, but doesn't offer a lot of properties with acreage. They do exist, but finding one on the market might be tough - they're primarily going to be wooded lots from my experience of delivering pizza in Prospect for 4 years. I got to know the area rather intimately.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:37 PM

76 posts, read 76,760 times
ServoMiff- I was very impressed with the basketball history at Ballard & totally agree. I have to say, I am VERY excited to hear about college hoops. We are HUGE fans & would love that sort of environment. FUN!

I will look into Indiana as well. I have not looked into that as much because:
1. I thought taxes were not as good as KY? (however I do love my rolling hills!) Biggest hill outside Houston is an ant hill.
2. Medicaid- I have a 16 yo with moderate autism. He is unable to live independent as an adult & holding a job will be difficult. I've read online that Medicaid is better in KY than IN for individuals with a significant disability, however I do need to research this some more. This is very, very important for me. Any thoughts or insight on Medicaid for disabled? I should probably post this as a topic in itself.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:47 PM

Peter 1948 Beautiful Zillow home, however I'm going to stay under a million, or at least try! I do need to check out the Indiana side for sure. Thanks so much!

Old 10-13-2015, 09:45 AM

9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennymovingaroundusa View Post
ServoMiff- I was very impressed with the basketball history at Ballard & totally agree. I have to say, I am VERY excited to hear about college hoops. We are HUGE fans & would love that sort of environment. FUN!

I will look into Indiana as well. I have not looked into that as much because:
1. I thought taxes were not as good as KY? (however I do love my rolling hills!) Biggest hill outside Houston is an ant hill.
2. Medicaid- I have a 16 yo with moderate autism. He is unable to live independent as an adult & holding a job will be difficult. I've read online that Medicaid is better in KY than IN for individuals with a significant disability, however I do need to research this some more. This is very, very important for me. Any thoughts or insight on Medicaid for disabled? I should probably post this as a topic in itself.
Overall tax burden is similar in IN and KY, IN has higher sales tax but is considered more business friendly. Stereotypically getting disability is very easy in KY, almost too easy. Half the population of many rural counties is on it. I have many family members with minor health problems that get enough money that they don't have to work. I know of several people who lived or worked in IN with severe health problems (leg amputations from diabetes, severe epilepsy) who were denied any disability pay in IN. Could be isolated cases though.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:15 AM

236 posts, read 214,919 times
I'm going to go ahead and plug Floyd County. Cost of living will be less than Oldham County, still will have plenty of land available. Another thing to point out is that support for High School Basketball is on another level in Southern Indiana. Some of the gyms for the bigger high schools in Louisville and surrounding burbs are the size of where I played in grade school! The crazy passion isn't quite what it was 20 years ago, but playing in front of 3-5 thousand people every weekend is pretty special. People in Kentucky really don't care about High School Basketball in comparison. But the whole region is college basketball mad.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:25 PM

1,124 posts, read 798,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1813 View Post
I'm going to go ahead and plug Floyd County. Cost of living will be less than Oldham County, still will have plenty of land available. Another thing to point out is that support for High School Basketball is on another level in Southern Indiana. Some of the gyms for the bigger high schools in Louisville and surrounding burbs are the size of where I played in grade school! The crazy passion isn't quite what it was 20 years ago, but playing in front of 3-5 thousand people every weekend is pretty special. People in Kentucky really don't care about High School Basketball in comparison. But the whole region is college basketball mad.
This is quite true regarding Indiana high schools and being absolutely nutty about basketball. Something like 5 or 6 of the largest high school arenas (I hesitate to call places that seat 5k+ gyms!) are in Indiana. One seats over 9,000! I went to the Wigwam in Anderson which is a special place to watch a game, as well as the biggest at Chrysler HS in New Castle, but it was maybe half empty 7 years ago. Interest has waned for 2 reasons, 1) the changing to multi-class basketball in Indiana and 2) the internet age has smaller towns realizing there are more things for their entertainment dollar than just basketball.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:56 AM

Thanks all! We are still looking are relocating to the area. Your feedback has been super helpful. I really appreciate it, thank you!

Old 04-21-2016, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,069 times
My opinion is Oldham County schools would be better and I even attended Ballard many years ago. JCPS has many issues now and I wouldn't want to send my kids there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or