U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 08:33 PM

76 posts, read 76,809 times

Advertisements

Hi there! We may be relocating from Houston TX to Louisville KY. I am researching high schools first to help me learn the area. Can anyone help me out to compare Ballard HS vs. North Oldham HS? From what I can research online, both score well on Greatschools.org. Ballard HS, however ranks nationally higher? (US News site anyway) Ballard HS seems to have a good boys basketball team too?

Also, where do you have to live to attend Ballard HS? How do you get in? I read out DuPont as well, but seemed nearly impossible to get into even as a straight A above average student?

A little about my family:
1. We want to live in a very safe, low crime area.
2. Schools are very important to us. Right now my son is a 7th grader in a top public school here. (ranks nationally) He is bright, straight A's, all pre AP courses & loves athletics too (basketball first, then football 2nd)
3. Housing- we want land. Prefer larger than 1.5 acres. Currently live on .5 acre lot- too small.
4. Price Range- under a million (4 bed, 4 bath, 1.5 plus acres, & 4,500-5,000 sq ft home) Current home $750,000 & 5,000 sq ft.
5. We like suburbia & really don't crave going into the city often
6. Job location:65 & 264 intersection by the airport (hoping for 30 minute commute max)
7. We are HUGE basketball fans! Hubby is 6'9" & played in the "Big East". Great basketball program in JHS & HS would be wonderful. (however academics always comes first!)
6. We also love to eat healthy, organic foods. (Farmers Markets great) Produce & meats. Need access to that.
7. We love the outdoors. Hiking paths a major bonus!

How does the Ballard HS area differ from the North Oldham HS area? (housing, mountains?, trees, density of population, etc) What is traffic like there? Can't be as bad as Houston. YIKES! Terrible here. SO excited to have the opportunity to move. (originally from the northeast. Currently too far from family & it's WAY to hot & humid here. I want my 4 seasons back!

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Last edited by Jennymovingaroundusa; 10-03-2015 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: did not provide enough personal info for advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 08:46 PM

Few more things I should have state regarding me:

1. We like suburbia & really don't crave going into the city often (unless we want to watch pro basketball)
2. Job location:65 & 264 intersection by the airport

Old 10-04-2015, 05:04 AM

6,278 posts, read 3,577,000 times
Either is a good choice....School districts are hard to predict and assure in Louisville (they still implement a busing plan that takes many away from their home school.) so I would opt for Oldham County and High School.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:10 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,087,263 times
Hi I have a neice and family who were born, grew up, and currently live in Oldham county. They are out near Ballardsville and her kids are now in high school....they are on the border of Oldham and South Oldham county HS. I cannot recall which one they attend. But North Oldham is very nice HS and is in the money area. My neice was telling me how at a basketball game with South Oldham the North kids through paper monopoly money at the South players and fans to indicate they have the money.

But that said....baskeball is very big at the MS and HS levels and both of her kids play bball. Of the choices you have and money to spend North Oldham HS hands down....without hesitation. No mountains anywhere in the area but quite hilly. That area too very convenient to 71/265 into the city. Very surburban that whole area....some older homes or farms on large lots, buts lots of new subdivisions too. Winding country roads. 71 or 265 going into the city will be a busy one in the mornings for sure.....but my oldest brother for 20 years drove from Crestwood to get to 71 and then into the city and he worked downtown. Plan for some backups....but that isnt unexpected probably.

Dan

Old 10-04-2015, 09:15 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,087,263 times
Kentucky and that area especially are huge huge into baskeball at all levels....you picked the right area. Basketball season and then there is the rest. Louisville vs UK is a big rivalry in that immediate area. Most of the state is pro UK but in that area it is more even.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:41 AM

I am super excited about getting out of Houston & into Louisville area. Thank you for the feedback. A rolling hill will be super nice after living on a pancake for nearly 3 years. (we are nearly in Mexico west of Houston)

I found an existing home I like a lot already in the North Oldham HS area. (in my price range, hooray!)

Is there much land to build on in a neighborhood too? Does anyone have insight on who the best custom home builders are? Best architects? If I built my ideal, it would be on 1.5 acres or more & be a "Green Home & very energy efficient". We would give up size of the home before we would compromise a great, quality built, energy efficient, Green Home. I'm ok with going a little bit smaller. My house now is 5,100 sq ft- too big.

Also, is Ballard HS a charter school? Do you get in by lottery, or by living in Jefferson County?

Old 10-04-2015, 11:42 AM

6,296 posts, read 13,182,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennymovingaroundusa View Post
I am super excited about getting out of Houston & into Louisville area. Thank you for the feedback. A rolling hill will be super nice after living on a pancake for nearly 3 years. (we are nearly in Mexico west of Houston)

I found an existing home I like a lot already in the North Oldham HS area. (in my price range, hooray!)

Is there much land to build on in a neighborhood too? Does anyone have insight on who the best custom home builders are? Best architects? If I built my ideal, it would be on 1.5 acres or more & be a "Green Home & very energy efficient". We would give up size of the home before we would compromise a great, quality built, energy efficient, Green Home. I'm ok with going a little bit smaller. My house now is 5,100 sq ft- too big.

Also, is Ballard HS a charter school? Do you get in by lottery, or by living in Jefferson County?
First, let me say there is lots of heresy and misinformation on the net about JCPS school. JCPS schools are based on your address, and you usually go to your "resides" school that is based on your address. However, you are given a "cluster" of usually a half dozen schools that you could possibly attend, and very rarely you could be given a school in your cluster that is a poor performing school and may also happened to be located on the other side of the city in a bad area. Type in your address and that will be the school you get.

https://apps.jefferson.kyschools.us/...oolfinder.aspx

I have had no problems with JCPS for my daughter, and got the school it said I would based on our address since moving here last year. Now, I cannot give you an exact number, but I am thinking 10-20% of people do not get the first school choice based on their resides area....and that is what makes people nervous I think. JCPS has some of the VERY BEST schools in the US. It also has some of the very worst! That is because it is one the top 20 largest school districts in the USA; it is VERY racially and socioeconomically diverse, and gets more and more diverse every year.

That said, don't ask the questions here. Call JCPS and get the answer directly from the "horse's mouth" as their policies have changed and there is SO MUCH misinformation on the net, especially on sites like Greatschools from jaded, and often uneducated parents (the type of people who will complain even though they were late with their application, etc). Dupont Manual (known only as Manual) is a magnet school, and there is a very rigorous application to get in, although it is located in a very urban area of the city south of downtown known as Old Louisville (I think it is beautiful actually, the largest collection of Victorian Mansions in the USA...nothing like it in Texas anywhere). JCPS has something like 30 public high schools. Oldham County has 3, and all three are good and I believe 2 or even all of them have been ranked in US News in the past. North Oldham is the best (prospect/goshen area).

Old 10-04-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Get a good realtor. There are several I can recommend, but for upscale and custom homes, here is your lady:

Sandy Gulick | KYSelectProperties.com

Also, this guy:

Louisville Real Estate | Homes for Sale in Louisville KY | Tre Pryor Realtor

He knows the city very well, especially if you want to live closer in (but will be hard to find an affordable 2 acre lot in Jefferson Co, but it is very doable).

Given your land requirement, you are probably going to fit in nicely to the US 42 corridor between Prospect and Goshen. There is plenty of land there as the area is exurban and the further north you go, semi rural with 100 acre horse farms interspersed with rolling hills, white picket fences, etc. However, there is plenty of housing development, it just "feels" rural bc that is how the "landed" people out that way like it. It is very beautiful, especially in peak fall, and the early spring. I imagine it is this kind of scene that inspired the famous song, "My Old Kentucky Home" by Stephen F. Foster:

"The sun shines bright in the old Kentucky home,
'Tis summer, the people are gay;
The corn-top's ripe and the meadow's in the bloom,
While the birds make music all the day."

And it is still convenient: 30 mins to downtown, 10 mins to an outdoor mall, 10-15 mins to every big box store you can imagine and indoor malls, and still 30-35 mins to all the charm of the city, places like the Highlands ( a much better version of Rice Village IMO), or the heart of St Matthews, or the Frankfort Ave corridor from Clifton to Crescent Hill. Make sure you make it into the city to shop at local stores and restaurants...that is what makes this area so great IMO.

Welcome to Louisville:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_eqExBpECg

Last edited by Peter1948; 10-04-2015 at 12:05 PM..

Old 10-04-2015, 07:56 PM

Thank you Peter 1948 for your feedback. Very good information!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:

If hill are your thing, there are definitely a couple areas in S. Indiana you should look in addition to focusing on KY. What is your price range?

This is a beautiful subdivision on a lake in S. Indiana:

Quarry Bluff | New Construction Homes Southern Indiana

Once the east end bridge is complete in 2017, it will be located 5 minutes to Prospect and the Paddock Shops outdoor shopping mall.

I would probably at least look at a couple houses in the NW Southern Indiana suburbs. Talk about hills...these will seem like mountains to you coming from Houston. There are sweeping views of the Ohio River and the city...I call it Beverly Hills Indiana, lol. It is technically known as Floyds Knobs, IN. Here is one upscale subdivision there, probably one of the highest end subdivisions in that area.

Chambord

Skyline Drive in Floyds Knobs also has great schools located in the hills, in one of the best school districts in metro Louisville. I think it would be important to look at 2-3 houses over there to get an idea of the differences. S. Indiana is less developed so there will be less shopping, etc (they have most the major big box stores, but you will have to drive to Louisville for Macy's for example).

Otherwise, based on your needs for land, etc, I can see you along US 42 or KY 22 from I264, going along the I-71 corridor from Indian Hills, Mockingbird Valley, and Glenview, all the way to La Grange. A place like Mockingbird Valley would be ideal....rolling hills and river bluffs, and a lot of estate homes on land. Be prepared to spend a million in that area for something decent, though.

For example:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...88_rect/14_zm/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or