U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 06:39 AM

5,620 posts, read 13,308,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
I don't know much about the primary area being discussed, but as a musician who grew up in Louisville, the place to be if giving guitar lessons is somewhere in or around the Highlands. It's a very art/music-friendly area and you will be able to attract people from all over the city to your lessons when in that neighborhood. Not to say that you couldn't succeed elsewhere, but it would be my first choice for a hood by a longshot if giving lessons was my intent. It might cost a bit more, but there's that risk-> reward thing going on.
Good point about that. The families living in the Highlands will probably be more inclined to sign their kids up for music lessons that those in the South End. It's not "hood" in all parts. Some very nice parts exist in the South End. But nothing comparable to the Highlands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 11:05 AM

60 posts, read 44,065 times
Quote:
I don't know much about the primary area being discussed, but as a musician who grew up in Louisville, the place to be if giving guitar lessons is somewhere in or around the Highlands. It's a very art/music-friendly area and you will be able to attract people from all over the city to your lessons when in that neighborhood. Not to say that you couldn't succeed elsewhere, but it would be my first choice for a hood by a longshot if giving lessons was my intent. It might cost a bit more, but there's that risk-> reward thing going on.
Servomiff...Thanks a ton for that info! You just sent me on a 2 hour researching binge that was very fruitful. I found someone to talk to from the area doing what I would like to. What a great looking, fun place to live and work.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:40 PM

1,124 posts, read 800,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Good point about that. The families living in the Highlands will probably be more inclined to sign their kids up for music lessons that those in the South End. It's not "hood" in all parts. Some very nice parts exist in the South End. But nothing comparable to the Highlands.
My intent wasn't to use "hood" in a derogatory sense, I was still talking about the Highlands actually.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanp35comcast View Post
Servomiff...Thanks a ton for that info! You just sent me on a 2 hour researching binge that was very fruitful. I found someone to talk to from the area doing what I would like to. What a great looking, fun place to live and work.
Awesome, glad it helped. I absolutely loved that neighborhood as a teen and spent a large part of those years hanging out at the Doo Wop Shop and walking around that area. Too bad you missed out on one of the best record stores in the country at the time, Ear-X-Tacy, which was based in that area as well. Sadly they closed down in recent years. I was at that store pretty much every weekend, either to buy, or to see an in-store show. I'm a few blocks from Amoeba Music in SF now, but it just doesn't feel the same to me.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:45 AM

6,297 posts, read 13,185,189 times
Quote:
Awesome, glad it helped. I absolutely loved that neighborhood as a teen and spent a large part of those years hanging out at the Doo Wop Shop and walking around that area. Too bad you missed out on one of the best record stores in the country at the time, Ear-X-Tacy, which was based in that area as well. Sadly they closed down in recent years. I was at that store pretty much every weekend, either to buy, or to see an in-store show. I'm a few blocks from Amoeba Music in SF now, but it just doesn't feel the same to me.
Servo...Louisville still has at least 4 independent record stores and a very strong indie music scene...

Independent Record Shops Come Roaring Back in Louisville - 89.3 WFPL

From 2013....think one other has opened since then. A very cool scene here for that kind of stuff.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
My intent wasn't to use "hood" in a derogatory sense, I was still talking about the Highlands actually.
Beechmont is actually a very nice area, and attracting a lot of young hipsters priced out of trendy areas like Highlands, Clifton, Germantown, Nulu, Butchertown, etc etc.

Historic Beechmont neighborhood thrives in south Louisville

Just this article today. In general, the SW quadrant contains zero "hood." not sure what you are talking about. The hood is confined to west Louisville....go north of 264 and along Taylor blvd or 7th street rd...not so nice. Ditto dixie highway north of 264 into shively and west Louisville. There are a few areas south and west of 264 which aren't great...but none are hood. Most are pretty nice actually.

But to group upscale areas like Kenwood Hills, Auburndale, the Knobs of Jefferson Memorial, and up and coming, mixed income and diverse neighborhoods like Beechmont with the "hood?" It is just people ignorant of the area and different cultures. I am not saying you are like that Servo, but the thread seems to bash the south end and I think it is unfair.

Louisville has so many great urban areas, that Beechmont wouldn't be too high on my radar if I could afford more. But if I had a hankering for century homes, good ethnic eats, local coffee and pizza, and international diversity at very cheap prices, I would certainly look at Beechmont.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:21 AM
eok eok started this thread

6,684 posts, read 2,950,040 times
And gas has now gone below $2 at New Cut and Outer Loop. What's not to like about a neighborhood with the cheapest gas prices in town?

Old 10-15-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Beechmont is actually a very nice area, and attracting a lot of young hipsters priced out of trendy areas like Highlands, Clifton, Germantown, Nulu, Butchertown, etc etc.

Historic Beechmont neighborhood thrives in south Louisville

Just this article today. In general, the SW quadrant contains zero "hood." not sure what you are talking about. The hood is confined to west Louisville....go north of 264 and along Taylor blvd or 7th street rd...not so nice. Ditto dixie highway north of 264 into shively and west Louisville. There are a few areas south and west of 264 which aren't great...but none are hood. Most are pretty nice actually.

But to group upscale areas like Kenwood Hills, Auburndale, the Knobs of Jefferson Memorial, and up and coming, mixed income and diverse neighborhoods like Beechmont with the "hood?" It is just people ignorant of the area and different cultures. I am not saying you are like that Servo, but the thread seems to bash the south end and I think it is unfair.

Louisville has so many great urban areas, that Beechmont wouldn't be too high on my radar if I could afford more. But if I had a hankering for century homes, good ethnic eats, local coffee and pizza, and international diversity at very cheap prices, I would certainly look at Beechmont.
I'm not talking about anything. I was just shortening the word neighborhood, and someone else took it that I meant it in a negative light. I didn't.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Servo...Louisville still has at least 4 independent record stores and a very strong indie music scene...

Independent Record Shops Come Roaring Back in Louisville - 89.3 WFPL

From 2013....think one other has opened since then. A very cool scene here for that kind of stuff.
Nothing compares to Ear-X-Tacy in my mind. I'm still very close to the scene, as I know a few local promoters/bookers and my brother is in a local band as well.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Nothing compares to Ear-X-Tacy in my mind. I'm still very close to the scene, as I know a few local promoters/bookers and my brother is in a local band as well.
You are correct. Ear X Tacy was special. The remaining stores help but indeed not the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or