U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 09:44 PM

715 posts, read 1,407,694 times

Advertisements

Despite living in Louisville for the first thirty something years of life, I never really gave thought about the numerous walking courts in Old Louisville. I have drove down Fourth street many a time and always wondered what was beyond the gateway at Belgravia court. Thanks to google maps and images, I'm amazed at the beauty of Belgravia/St James and fountain courts.

I'm also intrigued by the other "hidden" oasis' that exist in the city. Areas such as Floral Terrace off Sixth street, Kensington court and Ourerbacker Court off first street. Although I understand Ourerbacker is gated and generally off limits to non residents. Is this correct?

I will be in town this weekend for my birthday and the Boston College-Louisville game. I plan on walking Belgravia, fountain and st james, hopefully the weather and fall foliage will combine to make a perfect stroll through these beautiful areas.

For those of you in the know, what are some other walking courts in Old Lou and the Highlands worth checking out? I had also thought about doing the 7:30 ghost of old louisville tour led by David Domine. The thought of walking down Belgravia with the gas lamps flickering and the huge Victorian estates standing guard seems sublime. Has anyone does this tour before?

Again, anybody with pictures, information or insight, please chime away.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 01:09 AM

6,295 posts, read 13,173,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Despite living in Louisville for the first thirty something years of life, I never really gave thought about the numerous walking courts in Old Louisville. I have drove down Fourth street many a time and always wondered what was beyond the gateway at Belgravia court. Thanks to google maps and images, I'm amazed at the beauty of Belgravia/St James and fountain courts.

I'm also intrigued by the other "hidden" oasis' that exist in the city. Areas such as Floral Terrace off Sixth street, Kensington court and Ourerbacker Court off first street. Although I understand Ourerbacker is gated and generally off limits to non residents. Is this correct?

I will be in town this weekend for my birthday and the Boston College-Louisville game. I plan on walking Belgravia, fountain and st james, hopefully the weather and fall foliage will combine to make a perfect stroll through these beautiful areas.

For those of you in the know, what are some other walking courts in Old Lou and the Highlands worth checking out? I had also thought about doing the 7:30 ghost of old louisville tour led by David Domine. The thought of walking down Belgravia with the gas lamps flickering and the huge Victorian estates standing guard seems sublime. Has anyone does this tour before?

yes, they are great. Very worth your time. I think the ghost tour sometime sells out. Please book in advance

Old Louisville features the largest collection of pedestrian-only streets of any U.S. neighborhood. Eleven such "courts", where houses face each other across a grass median with sidewalks, were built in the neighborhood from 1891 to the 1920s. Most of the courts are centered off of 4th Street. Belgravia Court and Fountain Court were the first ones to be built in 1891 and are the most well known. Later ones included Reeser and Kensington (1910), which were built with large Victorian styled apartments instead of single family homes; and Eutropia and Rose Courts, which were the last ones built in the 1920s and featured small, single story houses

Floral Terrace is the most beautiful one that gets overlooked. Just west of that area you will notice an apartment building boom...this is all growth from UofL, which is booming on al edges of its campus.

In the Highlands, check Edgewood Place and Ivanhoe Court. Be sure to walk along Cherokee Parkway, Willow Avenue, Everett Avenue, Spring Drive, and Cherokee Rd. These areas are just gorgeous with fall colors, and pristine, well cared for turn of the 20th century mansions.

Perhaps it will convince you to move back to your hometown? Such a photogenic city.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:15 AM

9,583 posts, read 20,456,271 times
I lived in Old Louisville from 2004 to 2008 and really enjoyed having such an interesting place to walk around at a time when I had a lot of free time. I agree that Floral Terr. is overlooked. That is one of the nicer/ safer parts of OL, most people would think otherwise because it's near 9th St Rd.

Ouerbacker Ct between 1st & Brook north of Magnolia isn't as well known but is nice.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...d66556492fb71f

Lawton Ct is another working class one off S Preston just before the I-65 ramp. But if you're an enthusiast might be worth a visit.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/14...d6b314e0ac521f

Old 10-21-2015, 11:56 PM

715 posts, read 1,407,694 times
Thanks guys. Speaking of the homes in Old Louisville, are most occupied as single residences, or are they mostly partitioned into apartments? when I was going to UofL back in 1996, I looked into renting an efficiency apartment in one of the old mansions along Fourth Street. So often times when I'm driving through Old Lou, I'll wonder what lies behind some of those walls.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:37 AM

9,583 posts, read 20,456,271 times
Quote:
Thanks guys. Speaking of the homes in Old Louisville, are most occupied as single residences, or are they mostly partitioned into apartments? when I was going to UofL back in 1996, I looked into renting an efficiency apartment in one of the old mansions along Fourth Street. So often times when I'm driving through Old Lou, I'll wonder what lies behind some of those walls.
I'd say mostly subdivided but some are single family, especially around St James area. I lived at 4th & Hill in the mid 2Ks across from the coffee shop. Our building had 5 apartments and quite an eccentric mix of people: a Louisville native who moved to San Francisco and then returned home to be an oldies station DJ, hipsters, college students, poor people. The next couple houses down were single family. There was a lot of property crime (2 bikes stolen, car broken into on average once a year) and parking was not fun but I still have fond memories of living there. My studio apartment had once been a master bedroom and had the original mantel and a brick kitchen wall. Stairway windows were stained glass. I have never lived anywhere where I've gotten to know my neighbors so well.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:24 AM

3,928 posts, read 3,540,259 times
Quote:

Pfft, I've walked through Ourerbacker, you can walk through there, but there isn't much, it's not like the st. James courts, it's just two rows of houses with somewhat of front yards, it would be like walking down one of the real small streets, like the one behind the marathon on 7th and Hill. It's not a private area, but it almost feels like it, if you have no business there. It's surrounded by an alley- well the alley kinda forks around it, the back gate at the end exits to the alley. Me and a friend walked through there out of boredom, and there's two more nearby it, one is where Ormsby dead ends at Brook, or Floyd. Haven't been through there, seems like sorta a inner city cul-de-sac from looking at it. I love Old Louisville, if you're not in a car, and know where to go, it's so easy to cut through that place to get to the other side of town, and avoid traffic, especially if you know what houses don't have fences, and gates, and know which alleys near the expressway to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or