U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 07:12 AM

236 posts, read 215,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchip55 View Post
Hello,

I read with interest the original post by nomadicheart7 as I too am thinking of moving to Louisville and like that poster I have a car now, but don't plan to in the future. While many of the responses described that public transport is not that accessible/frequent in Louisville, what about other alternatives? I believe Louisville has Uber or Lyft and then there are other models such as Zipcar or car2go (though I am not sure that you have those..)

If someone only needed walkability to weekly needs such as food (doesn't have to be a big grocery store, can be a weekly farmer's market, a deli, a bakery, etc.) and perhaps a drugstore is this possible? If I can get basic needs met, I don't want a car. I would occasionally want to go out to eat or some social event, but figure that's where Uber or the like can supplement walkability or a bus. I don't care about bars or retail shopping, I lead a fairly simple life...I mean between my Kindle and Netflix I have most of what I need at home.

So can someone provide feedback on that? Thank you so much.
If you are very selective in your location in certain neighborhoods I'd say it'd be possible, especially with a bike. But a huge amount of the metro area is going to be more or less inaccessible to you. You'll basically be confined to 3 or 4 neighborhoods (granted they are very neat neighborhoods).

Buy a beater and nurse it along the best you can. You'll want a car living in Louisville. As somebody who has been car free for three years and a huge proponent of it, I just can't recommend not having a car in Louisville (as much as I'd love to).
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 12:04 PM

6,297 posts, read 13,191,683 times
Quote:
Hello,

I read with interest the original post by nomadicheart7 as I too am thinking of moving to Louisville and like that poster I have a car now, but don't plan to in the future. While many of the responses described that public transport is not that accessible/frequent in Louisville, what about other alternatives? I believe Louisville has Uber or Lyft and then there are other models such as Zipcar or car2go (though I am not sure that you have those..)

If someone only needed walkability to weekly needs such as food (doesn't have to be a big grocery store, can be a weekly farmer's market, a deli, a bakery, etc.) and perhaps a drugstore is this possible? If I can get basic needs met, I don't want a car. I would occasionally want to go out to eat or some social event, but figure that's where Uber or the like can supplement walkability or a bus. I don't care about bars or retail shopping, I lead a fairly simple life...I mean between my Kindle and Netflix I have most of what I need at home.

You need to come see it for yourself. Don't believe the banter here by former residents who have moved away. Don't believe my enthusiasm for the city. Come see it for yourself and I think you will feel the same.

If you live on Cherokee Rd in the Highlands (or many parts close to Bardstown Rd) you can walk to:

2 large groceries (one local, one chain)
a full service movie theatre
3 pharmacies (walgreens closest)
My best guess is 50 restaurants and 30 bars (from mcdonalds and jimmy johns to 4 star seviche, from asian, to nigerian, meditteranean, mexican, irish, pizza (up the whazoo) and many many more.
live music spots
plenty of retail including: vacuum store, cookie store, coffee shops, Urban Outfitters, several furniture stores, antique stores, even a local book store AND a kids bookstore!
There are other clothing stores, thrift stores, and many many more.

Each dot here is a business you could walk too....find the businesses you would use most, and pick an apartment near them:

http://www.thehighlandsoflouisville.com/

So don't listen to a couple "big city" naysayers who say you cannot live in Louisville without a car. Maybe for them? But it can be done very easy. Sure, Louisville is not NYC or SF....but it is not trying to be either. It still has a viable, and in some cases, walkable urban core.

Louisville has a very large fleet of taxis, Lyft, uber, and yes, even zipcar:

https://louisvilleky.gov/news/zipcar-arrives-louisville

Google Fiber should be in Louisville in 2 years, one of only around 12 cities to have it by then!

Tarc is more than adequate, especially on Bardstown rd. Again, despite the naysayers. When I went to graduate school in Louisville, I used it EXTENSIVELY. Not just a few trips from my parents suburbs into downtown. Want another insider tip? You will need to call TARC to double check, but UofL and JCC students ride free. Instead of buying the monthly Tarc pass if you ride frequently, enroll in a cheap 200 dollar class at JCC to get the student ID and ride TARC free:

http://louisville.edu/sustainability...portation.html

Several bus lines use Bardstown Rd, so you can catch any number of buses to go up and down the urban part of it, so it is never more than 10-15 mins for a bus from basically 7 am to midnight:

Here are your main lines that can get you to all the grocery, movies, and retail above:

https://www.ridetarc.org/uploadedFiles/40.pdf

https://www.ridetarc.org/uploadedFiles/23.pdf
(also goes from Bardstown Rd to Target and Walmart)

https://www.ridetarc.org/uploadedFiles/17.pdf

Think of it like the Green line in boston....trains B-E all have different termini, but all will take you to the Prudential Center and Back Bay. That is the Highlands in Louisville, but of course this isnt Boston so its not as dense, less traffic, and also friendlier and cheaper!

Need Target or Walmart? No fear, with a bike or willing to walk a half a mile, then you can get a bus directly to them, further down Bardstown, should you choose to live closer to Newburg Rd:

https://www.ridetarc.org/uploadedFiles/21.pdf

And this is just one neighborhood....there is more!
Frankfort Ave area in Clifton and Crescent Hill is almost just as walkable. Even heart of St Matthews

Downtown, Old Louisville, and Nulu, while having great restaurants, lack the major urban grocer for now (one is actually opening by 2018 at 3rd and liberty in the new Omni skyscraper). But they do have furniture stores, and boutique and specialty retail. For example, if you can afford it, you could outfit your entire home with furniture and art from Scout in Nulu, and they even have a full mens clothes section (if you can afford the Jack Spade and other expensive shirts they have). If not, even downtown has thrift shops like Goodwill, and the CVS at 4th and Muhammad Ali has aot of basic grocery items for downtown residents (milk, bread, cereal, frozen dinners, chips, drinks. Downtown also has wine shops and some cool gift and home furnishings stores.

Want more? Even New Albany and Jeffersonville are walkable.

I strongly encourage you to stay here for a week. Come check out the Highlands first. Start at quills on Baxter Ave. Walk south on baxter and then veer left to walk on Bardstown Rd for three miles. Look at all the shops and restaurants. Count how many buses you see drive by in that hour walk until you get to Gardnier lane Shopping center. Then pick up a bus at a stop you see arond the Gardiner lane shopping center and see how long it takes you to get back to quills.

Once back at Quills, go east on Highland ave and walk along Cherokee Rd. If this doesn't look like a city you could live in, then keep walking

I will be happy to search in your quest. I am the only one here who knows the city block by block, by foot, transit, cycling, and bus. Incidentally, I know about 10 cities very well by these routes, and have traveled to almost 90% of the top 50 largest USA metros (kids slowed down my travel ) I chose Louisville because it offers what I love about urban cities without all the hassle (after reluctantly coming for grad school initially)...and the restaurant scene is unbelievably awesome.

Also, Louisville is one of the top bicycle friendly cities:

http://www.bikeleague.org/sites/defa...pring_2015.pdf

Now that it is a silver city, it is one of only 77 in that category.

Last edited by Peter1948; 11-20-2015 at 06:20 AM..

Old 11-24-2015, 06:26 PM

94 posts, read 76,400 times
Quote:
Hello,

As the other poster said if you lived pretty much anywhere along Bardstown road, but especially around the Valumarket area, you could mostly walk, or take the bus to accomplish virtually any task you would ever "need" to do. And the bus goes straight downtown where most of the jobs are (though there are very limited options for getting to the other employment centers along Hurstbourne lane and other business parks in the suburbs). Lower frankfort avenue and Brownsboro roads also could probably offer someone a good space to accomplish many tasks without a car and doing a lot of walking. To that extent transit in Louisville is as good as anywhere else because it does everything you would need it to do. That said most people enjoy a little variety and that's where Louisville's transit is kind of lacking. Crosstown buses are nonexistent to not very useful unfortunately and don't always hit the areas where you would want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or