Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:23 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,454 times

Advertisements

I recently posted this information in another thread but didn't want it to get buried. The district just announced its two proposals for the new "student assignment plan" that determines how and where students will be assigned to schools throughout the county. I know a lot of people who are relocating are obviously concerned about where their child will attend school, so this will give an idea of what the district is proposing for the future. There is a lot of information here about what clusters are proposed for the new busing plan.

From the Courier-Journal article Desegregation plan Q & A:

The Jefferson County Board of Education is expected to vote on a plan in May. Before then, the board plans to gain public input through a series of forums, polls and focus groups.

Q: How can I give my opinion about the proposals?

A: Over the next three months, the district will hold several focus groups, as well as public forums at four sites throughout the community.

Q: Why doesn't the district just let all students attend their neighborhood school?

A: The district determined that such a plan would result in resegregation, force major reassignments and threaten school choice and magnet programs.

Q: Does this mean my child can attend any school in his or her cluster, as long as there is room?

A: Not necessarily. Choices would be limited by the 15-50 ratio that takes into account neighborhood levels of education, median income and racial makeup. But officials believe families will have roughly the same chance of getting one of their school choices as they have in the past.

Also of interest:
An overview of the coverage plus a GREAT interactive map:
courier-journal.com » The Courier-Journal » Louisville, KY » Local News

From the district:
Student Assignment Plan (http://www.jefferson.k12.ky.us/AboutUs/StudentAssigPlan.html - broken link)

Explanation of the maps used in the proposals:
Understanding the desegregation maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 33,069 times
You know, I'm starting to think JCPS is just going to make this whole thing worse. It's like they've been told to fix it, so instead of doing the most sensible thing, they mess it up some more.

I thought it was interesting they said they wouldn't return to resides schools for it would over-crowd 1/3 the elementary schools - I would still like to see that proof, for I just don't believe it. Some may be, however I would say it's a lot of the ones on the east end, but thought that was why the two new schools were built?

Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 AM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,332 times
This kind of stuff is %$&*! People work hard to buy a home in a area in which they feel there kids will be able to go to a good school in "that" neighborhood. Now they might take those kids out of the schools they are currently in, and bus them somewhere else to just fill some kind of quota. Really ridiculous! I think it should be up to the family where they want to live to insure where there child goes to school, not up to some school board or government body. I think you will see some families moving out of the county borders to prevent this if it happens or of course attempting to put there kids into private if they can afford it. I understand what they are attempting to do and why, but this punishes some to help others. Don't like it.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:57 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
The great advantage of Oldham County is that when there is a "reassignment" odds are the new school is equal or a bit better than the old school. Here we are in the middle of a new assignment because of a new school coming on-line next fall, plus increased capacity at Crestwood with its new building. In Oldham County, that will mean that of the elementary schools only four have buildings older than 2000. Of those four, Liberty is consistantly one of Kentucky's top 10 performers. LaGrange is showing terrific improvement even in the light of having the most free/reduced lunches in the county, Centerfield hangs right in there in a 20 year old building, and Camden Station was built in the early 1990's. No matter what school, they all feature electronic classrooms fully capable of internet resources.

It doesn't mean that with the projected Oldham County growth over the next 15 years, there won't be occasional frustrations, but even with the 2008 changes, 95% of all students reassigned will still be within a few minutes from home to school, with many actually being closer.

As another bonus, Oldham County is currently building a new state of the art central library in LaGrange with plans developing build a new facility in N. Oldham and renovate the S. Oldham library.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:57 PM

16 posts, read 51,099 times
Default crazy

I was flat out told by a grade school principal that my kid, who would be in first grade by that time, could quite possibly be reassigned to another school. And just how do you explain that to a kid who is losing friends, familiarity and stability? It seems like JCPS is doing its best to scare off relocators or force everyone to move to another county or choose private/parochial.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:58 PM

189 posts, read 628,790 times
Actually... they are doing this because the Supreme Court says to. You can thank a parent for this chain of events.
I understand your frustration... when I was a kid I was bused to various schools and didn't grow up going to the same schools as my peers throughout the years. Change isn't easy on a kid.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:53 PM

221 posts, read 751,851 times
Yeah, I understand the need for desegregation, but kids do need more stability that constantly redrawing school plans allows. My daughter has a friend who in the last 8 years has gone to 5 different schools. And the one she's in now is closing next year. Crazy! (Note: this is not in Louisville, but in a rust belt city in n.e.)

Old 04-17-2008, 05:08 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
It should not be about desegregation, EVER! It should always be about the quality of education each child receives, ALWAYS! One of the most difficult challenges before every educator who has two or more children under their tutelage is to maximize each child's education with the child's personal ability/capability without "averaging" by reducing one child's opportunity to learn while focusing on giving the other child more attention or emphasis. Bussing automatically reduces many bright children's opportunities in order to raise others. The question is, "how can we lift the "others" without reducing the "bright's?"

Old 04-17-2008, 09:31 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
This is the main reason why urban county school districts have low population growth.

I've know people in Lexington who moved every couple of years to keep their kids in the same school - that is a ridiculous system!

Vouchers are the answer for the middle and lower class, the rich can afford expensive private schools already.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:35 PM

27 posts, read 81,176 times
Speaking as someone who may be relocating to the Louisville area, I can say that we are making it a priority to live outside Jefferson County for this very reason. No one has shown that desegregation has helped anything, anywhere. It just costs a lot of money and time that could be better spent educating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area