U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:20 PM

1,131 posts, read 808,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Neither does Cincy...He was explaining why Cincy felt like a "big city" compared to Louisville. I am just not buying it bc Louisville has very nearly every amenity as Cincy with pro sports being the major exception (one could argue Louisville has major and winning college sports whereas Cincy college sports are mid major and not significant).
Again, I was referencing Amtrak, which is indeed passenger rail and is in Cincinnati. Louisville doesn't have Amtrak. (I wish it did!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 11:18 PM

6,309 posts, read 13,222,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Again, I was referencing Amtrak, which is indeed passenger rail and is in Cincinnati. Louisville doesn't have Amtrak. (I wish it did!)
Meh...that is a stretch...but I will give it to you. Amtrak SUCKS. That rail line out of cincy is so bad, it is not usable. It took me 9 hours to get to Chicago! just useless. Louisville (and Cincy) has megabus which is cheaper, easier, and more efficient. Having Amtrak is a bonus for urban nerds and train aficionados. It is not like Cincy has a usable transit system.

Anyways....to portpittash....I think you will LOVE Louisville. I am sure of it. PM me when you get to town and I will give you the grand tour.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Meh...that is a stretch...but I will give it to you. Amtrak SUCKS. That rail line out of cincy is so bad, it is not usable. It took me 9 hours to get to Chicago! just useless. Louisville (and Cincy) has megabus which is cheaper, easier, and more efficient. Having Amtrak is a bonus for urban nerds and train aficionados. It is not like Cincy has a usable transit system.

Anyways....to portpittash....I think you will LOVE Louisville. I am sure of it. PM me when you get to town and I will give you the grand tour.
Depends on the area. Amtrak is awesome here on the west coast and in the NE corridor, but still nowhere near as good as the train systems in other countries.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:18 AM

5,640 posts, read 13,344,188 times
Quote:
Depends on the area. Amtrak is awesome here on the west coast and in the NE corridor, but still nowhere near as good as the train systems in other countries.
Passenger trains are a dying industry in the US, but it would be nice to have a passenger rail system from Chicago to Indy to Louisville to Nashville. A lot of people I know work between all these cities and a lot of people from these cities move to one another for either work or personal reasons. A lot of businesses in Louisville have branches in Nashville and Indy. Basically I've just noticed a big connection between these 4 cities since moving here that I never would have realized before. I think if a train existed between them, it would make traveling between them really easy and pretty popular.

That's one big benefit that Cincy has for me at least. It has Amtrak to connect to Chicago, DC, and NYC, as well as smaller cities between those. But I have a lot of friends and family in all of those cities that I rarely get to see since driving is a hassle and flying is so expensive. Would be nice to live in a city with Amtrak to be able to visit everyone. And yeah, it takes longer than driving usually, but I hate driving long distances and train tracks usually have prettier scenery than highways and sitting in a big train is way more relaxing than cramped in a car.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:36 AM

1,346 posts, read 1,164,824 times
Thanks for all the great info! Quick question: Why has nobody ever mentioned that Louisville has an underground zip line? Seems like a highly unique and huge selling point for the city.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Thanks for all the great info! Quick question: Why has nobody ever mentioned that Louisville has an underground zip line? Seems like a highly unique and huge selling point for the city.
It's not very exciting from what my friends have said. They do Christmas lights also and people can drive through there, but it's short and they charge something like $10-15/car load. The state has a couple of really awesome caves to go exploring, so the underground zip line things just doesn't really garner a lot of attention.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
It's not very exciting from what my friends have said. They do Christmas lights also and people can drive through there, but it's short and they charge something like $10-15/car load. The state has a couple of really awesome caves to go exploring, so the underground zip line things just doesn't really garner a lot of attention.

Not true at all...you need to go there...it is a top rated attraction.

portpitt...there's tons in Louisville that doesnt get mentioned. It has every amenity of a major metro (except pro sports) without the price and hassle

Old 12-26-2015, 06:26 AM

1,346 posts, read 1,164,824 times
Quote:
portpitt...there's tons in Louisville that doesnt get mentioned. It has every amenity of a major metro (except pro sports) without the price and hassle
For some reason I don't even associate caves with KY even though I've been to Mammoth Cave. Although to be fair that area is its own little world.

What are some of the other things that are unique to the city?

Old 12-27-2015, 01:57 PM

95 posts, read 77,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Passenger trains are a dying industry in the US, but it would be nice to have a passenger rail system from Chicago to Indy to Louisville to Nashville. A lot of people I know work between all these cities and a lot of people from these cities move to one another for either work or personal reasons. A lot of businesses in Louisville have branches in Nashville and Indy. Basically I've just noticed a big connection between these 4 cities since moving here that I never would have realized before. I think if a train existed between them, it would make traveling between them really easy and pretty popular.

That's one big benefit that Cincy has for me at least. It has Amtrak to connect to Chicago, DC, and NYC, as well as smaller cities between those. But I have a lot of friends and family in all of those cities that I rarely get to see since driving is a hassle and flying is so expensive. Would be nice to live in a city with Amtrak to be able to visit everyone. And yeah, it takes longer than driving usually, but I hate driving long distances and train tracks usually have prettier scenery than highways and sitting in a big train is way more relaxing than cramped in a car.
I think a big problem with passenger rail connecting those cities beyond the fact that there certainly wouldn't be the number of passengers needed to even break even on the cost is that once you get to your destination public transport in the cities, other than Chicago is pretty abysmal, so you might as well just take a car because you would likely need to hire one once you get there anyway to get around. I've taken megabus from Louisville to Chicago and back a few times and there does always seem to be a handful of people in suits (in addition to people you would imagine to be on the bus including myself).

Quote:
I was disappointed by the light show when I went a few years ago. Maybe its gotten better and I'm not sure what I expected but looking at houses is a better way to see lights I think. The coolest part, which made the thing worthwhile for me at least, was just getting to go into the cavern which I wouldn't have a reason to do otherwise. It's pretty huge.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
For some reason I don't even associate caves with KY even though I've been to Mammoth Cave. Although to be fair that area is its own little world.

What are some of the other things that are unique to the city?
Well, there's lots. This ,ist is kind of cheesy but a start:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

If interested, I can post more

The most unique thing may be what was torn down....look at the historic density in some of these photos....looks like New Orleans, or in some cases, Brooklyn! Lots of it is still around, unfortunately, lots of it was lost to the 1890 tornado, the Gret Flood of 1937 which was worse than Katrina (and others), and bad urban renewal....

Historic photos of Louisville Kentucky and environs - Historic photos of Louisville Kentucky

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 06:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or