U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 06:52 AM

9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times

Advertisements

Cincinnati is a decent bit larger than Louisville. Bigger skyline, bigger museums, bigger population Both are urban but Cincinnati is arguably a top 5 urban city, it's like a mini Boston, including both the Ohio and KY sides. The reason Louisville is considered more artsy is because the mentality is more open and less conservative than Cincinnati. Cincy's reputation is that it is more conservative, less friendly to newcomers, and racism is a bigger problem. I have family in Cincy (actually lived my first 5 years there) and I hear more racist comments in private conversation there than anywhere I've ever been. I have never been anywhere where discussing hatred of Black people was a regular family dinner conversation like it is there. I'm not saying it's everyone but it's way more pervasive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 11:30 AM

28 posts, read 82,452 times
I haven't lived in Cincy, only visited there. I currently live just outside of Louisville. I personally find Louisville to be a cleaner, more attractive city than Cincinnati. I have lived in Phoenix and Los Angeles, so I'm familiar with big, urban areas. I prefer the warmer, more intimate feel of Louisville. When you're out for dinner, you're likely to run into someone you know. That's fun, and appealing, after living somewhere as huge as L.A. I have friends in Cincy and that doesn't happen to them nearly as much because the city is so spread out in the 'burbs.

I think if you dislike Cincinnati, you would possibly still like Louisville. Or vice-versa. The two cities feel entirely different to me.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:12 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcskylinelover View Post
"More compact?"
How so? Cinci is much denser and taller and yet is far more intact that Louisville.
There are surface lots all over downtown L and along Broadway.
Cinci is almost completely intact from the river to the north end of OTR and is infilling what little is missing.
There's a new streetcar system coming online this summer.

"More artsy?"
How so? Cinci has far more artists, galleries and a larger creative community.

The 2 shouldn't be compared really.
L is a nice, growing, small city with a small downtown.
It has lots of charm and great housing stock but is a not a major city like Cinci is.
Hey KC, this is not a "city vs city" forum. If you came here to troll, its not welcome.

Calling Cincinnati a major city ,and Louisville a small city...well you lose all credibility there 2.1 million vs 1.3 million metros. Are folks form St Louis aloud to call KC a small town? Why not? STL is 2.7 million and KC is 1.9 million. Same difference. Your argument will not fly here.

Your comments about Broadway are correct, but the sheer mention of that road shows you really haven't spent much time in Louisville (and I HIGHLY doubt you have been at all) as that street in modern times is essentially irrelevant.

Louisville had some of the midrise density as Cincy in its downtown, but tore it all down for urban renewal. This simply makes it feel a bit "cleaner" in downtown, but certainly not as dense.

But its the neighborhoods where Louisville matches up well with Cincinnati. You would have to visit both in the same week to see how.

As census pointed, Louisville is considerably more arts, eclectic, and hip than the very conservative Cincy. I actually like Cincy, and especially, Covington KY. That said, there are a lot of similarities.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:44 AM

15,690 posts, read 34,684,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Would I like Louisville if I dislike Cincinnati? I see them compared sometimes and I'm not sure how as they don't sound all that much alike.
I've been to both. I didn't dislike Cincinnati, but I didn't have feel any pull to it either though.

Louisville, I liked. Especially Highlands neighborhood, just now much vibrancy, stores, people walking around, liveliness, etc. Just a great neighborhood, that seems like it could be an extremely comfortable place to live in.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:08 PM

236 posts, read 214,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Cincinnati is a decent bit larger than Louisville. Bigger skyline, bigger museums, bigger population Both are urban but Cincinnati is arguably a top 5 urban city, it's like a mini Boston, including both the Ohio and KY sides. The reason Louisville is considered more artsy is because the mentality is more open and less conservative than Cincinnati. Cincy's reputation is that it is more conservative, less friendly to newcomers, and racism is a bigger problem. I have family in Cincy (actually lived my first 5 years there) and I hear more racist comments in private conversation there than anywhere I've ever been. I have never been anywhere where discussing hatred of Black people was a regular family dinner conversation like it is there. I'm not saying it's everyone but it's way more pervasive.
Let's not get two carried away. Cincinnati has a great urban area, but I'm not sure it's anywhere near top 5 in the US.

There's a race issue in both cities certainly imo (and nationwide to a lesser extent). I hear similar things from folks back in Louisville. Ask people about the West End and you'll get a lot of disdain from most people (even though most have never actually been).

I think the big difference between the two cities is that Cincinnati's downtown and surrounding neighborhoods is much more intact than Louisville's. Luckily Cincinnati engaged in much less urban renewal. I think a lot of the flack Cincinnati gets is due to parts of Clifton (and OTR is earlier years) being pretty poor and not as well kept up as Old Louisville.

One big difference between the two cities I noticed is that Louisville has "roads" Cincinnati has "villages". People go out to Bardstown Road or Frankfort Ave, multiple neighborhoods which border these important arteries. Whereas Cincinnati has more neighborhood centers like Mount Adams, Hyde Park Square, Oakley Square, Mt Lookout Square etc.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:24 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1813 View Post
Let's not get two carried away. Cincinnati has a great urban area, but I'm not sure it's anywhere near top 5 in the US.

There's a race issue in both cities certainly imo (and nationwide to a lesser extent). I hear similar things from folks back in Louisville. Ask people about the West End and you'll get a lot of disdain from most people (even though most have never actually been).

I think the big difference between the two cities is that Cincinnati's downtown and surrounding neighborhoods is much more intact than Louisville's. Luckily Cincinnati engaged in much less urban renewal. I think a lot of the flack Cincinnati gets is due to parts of Clifton (and OTR is earlier years) being pretty poor and not as well kept up as Old Louisville.

One big difference between the two cities I noticed is that Louisville has "roads" Cincinnati has "villages". People go out to Bardstown Road or Frankfort Ave, multiple neighborhoods which border these important arteries. Whereas Cincinnati has more neighborhood centers like Mount Adams, Hyde Park Square, Oakley Square, Mt Lookout Square etc.
Very well informed post. I can agree 100% with what you said as I lived in both.

Cincy can kind of "feel" bigger because there are more 3-4 story urban street walls (they didn't tear down as much) but that also have twice as much decay bc of this, and also twice as much potential.

But get outside downtown/Over the Rhine proper, and this is where Louisville wins...for the reasons you mentioned with the walkability and commercial linear density along Bardstown, Frankfort, etc, vs the small village centers in cincy. It just feels more alive, even if Cincy may have the more "northern urban" commercial architecture.

Also, Covington/Newport used to Blow out Jeff/New Albany....unless you count high rise condos, I honestly think its a pretty even match, especially if you are foodie. The food scene in New Albany is honestly one of the best in Indiana...dont say that to Indy folks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or