U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 09:27 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,589,657 times

Advertisements

I don't go to Louisville that often, but from what I've seen, something has been lost over the years. It just isn't the place it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 09:59 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,945,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I don't go to Louisville that often, but from what I've seen, something has been lost over the years. It just isn't the place it used to be.
That place that it used to be, that it no longer is: what place was that?

Old 11-21-2015, 02:13 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,589,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
That place that it used to be, that it no longer is: what place was that?
I think it used to have a more authentic, river town feel. Some real history there. Now, it seems to commercialized, if that makes any sense. It reminds me of how they screwed up NYC. For example, Times Square the the theater district was a unique place with a lot of history to it. Now? You might as well be going to Disneyland. Nice, but not real.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:55 PM

20,950 posts, read 15,267,317 times
Quote:
I think it used to have a more authentic, river town feel. Some real history there. Now, it seems to commercialized, if that makes any sense. It reminds me of how they screwed up NYC. For example, Times Square the the theater district was a unique place with a lot of history to it. Now? You might as well be going to Disneyland. Nice, but not real.
If anything, I think Louisville is less generic and commercialized for metros its size.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:55 PM

1,123 posts, read 797,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I agree. Where is delta dental based?
My current town, SF, along with Kaiser Permanente in Oakland.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:02 PM

94 posts, read 75,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Using Bardstown Road--a gathering place for all types/groups of people-- as a gauge, some parts have morphed considerably in the past 5 years. With the morph being toward bigger, national corporate entities, it appears it is being 'discovered' right now. With that, come the phenomenon you mention. The insidious "losing it" process . . . The uniqueness and local flavor is being replaced by boring commercial.
Yes the businesses that are going into Bardstown road, like Stout, and a few others pretty much demonstrate that Louisville is being "discovered." It is sad that some of the local favorites will go, but independent businesses will just be pushed out to other areas like Old Louisville, Butchertown, Nulu, Shelby Park, Germantown, and maybe one day Portland, that don't yet have the demographics and buildings that national retailers and restaurants need to go in.

Things just move slower here. Shelby Park is slowly being flipped, at an unnoticeable pace, like Germantown was and soon that development will push its way up to Smoketown. I doubt there will ever be the big crush of people that places like Portland and Seattle if only because the weather here is unfortunately not very nice compared to the coasts, but there is no reason we can't start pulling away people that would go to Nashville.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:03 PM

784 posts, read 843,703 times
Louisville is nowhere near being a gentrified hipster town........at most its becoming what NY SF Oakland DC and Austin were like before gentrification hit their cities: one set area where theres art and hipsters another area where most of the jobs are and then theres areas of untouched poverty......

real gentrification would involve hipsters walking up and down 7th Street in Shively or yuppies complaining about the loud box chevys that ride down W Broadway.......

Old 12-14-2015, 07:59 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,173,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
Louisville is nowhere near being a gentrified hipster town........at most its becoming what NY SF Oakland DC and Austin were like before gentrification hit their cities: one set area where theres art and hipsters another area where most of the jobs are and then theres areas of untouched poverty......

real gentrification would involve hipsters walking up and down 7th Street in Shively or yuppies complaining about the loud box chevys that ride down W Broadway.......
Let me guess...you grew up in Louisville, in the suburbs, moved away, and have not walked block by block in the past 10 years?

If you think Oakland doesnt have a hood 10 times the size of west Louisville or Shively, or NYC or San Fran, then you are mistaken.

The fact is...most of urban Louisville IS a pretty hipster place....it is a massive geographic area and you must include downtown New Albany and Jeff bc they are in the game in their own way...old louisville to beechmont, downtown to butchertown, and crescent hill, germantown to clifton, all the way to the heart of st matthews.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:46 AM

9,583 posts, read 20,456,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post

One reason you won't see that kind of thorough gentrification here is cheap housing costs. In places like NYC the poor are getting priced out and are having to move elsewhere. Those places are so expensive even college grads with good jobs can only afford to live in the hood. What you see here is more hipsters moving in and bringing new businesses but the housing costs are still staying reasonable, only except being the most high end places like most of the Highlands or Crescent Hill.

Honestly I hope Louisville doesn't see home prices and taxes skyrocket. I have middle class family in high COL areas and they have a terrible quality of life compared to me because the COL here is better relative to income.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:49 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
Quote:
How is Times Square not "real"? Very odd. A place is only "real" if it's dangerous, dirty, and miserable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or