U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2015, 10:07 AM
 
7 posts, read 5,515 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm from Houston and I'm about to graduate nursing school this year. I am seriously thinking about moving to Louisville. I was wondering if anyone could compare the two cities for me? Is Louisville a more family friendly city? Houston's traffic and crime seems to just be getting worse every year. I'm a single mother and my son has autism.
I was wondering if Louisville has adequate schools and resources for autism? Where should I live? How is the weather compared to Houston? I am so sick of hurricane season and it seems everytime we get a hard rain it floods everywhere. I want to live somewhere that is quiet and safe. Please respond. Any advice y'all have is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2015, 07:35 AM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,586 posts, read 20,468,292 times
Reputation: 9078
I have briefly been through Houston, Louisville's metro is a good bit smaller (4+ million verse 1.3 million). L'ville does have way more older urban/ walkable neighborhoods. Louisville has crime but violent stuff is very concentrated West and SW of downtown, otherwise you're very unlikely to have any problems. Traffic would be better here, there are a few bad spots in afternoon rush hour. Within 15 miles of downtown you can live in a very quiet / rural setting. Schools vary in Jefferson Co, a lot of transplants like the highly rated Oldham Co KY or Floyd Central IN districts. Weather wise an average Houston summer day is something we get maybe 3 weeks a year. Otherwise it's cooler. We average 15 inches of snow per year with high temps in the low 40s Dec - Jan - Feb but it really varies year to year. Last 4 winters have been brutal, this winter is much warmer than usual due to EL Nino. Housing costs here are low. You can spend a lot but an average home type even in East Louisville or Oldham $150k easily gets you in a nice area, you can go a lot lower than that for livable starter homes. On the Indiana side it's not unthinkable to get a starter home in a safe area for $80k or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2015, 07:52 AM
 
7 posts, read 5,515 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you so much for replying! I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2015, 09:40 PM
 
13 posts, read 8,869 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan8801 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm from Houston and I'm about to graduate nursing school this year. I am seriously thinking about moving to Louisville. I was wondering if anyone could compare the two cities for me? Is Louisville a more family friendly city? Houston's traffic and crime seems to just be getting worse every year. I'm a single mother and my son has autism.
I was wondering if Louisville has adequate schools and resources for autism? Where should I live? How is the weather compared to Houston? I am so sick of hurricane season and it seems everytime we get a hard rain it floods everywhere. I want to live somewhere that is quiet and safe. Please respond. Any advice y'all have is greatly appreciated!
I'M from Houston, and believe me, Louisville is NOT a good alternative EVER in a million years. Family Friendly? Depends. Traffic, yes, better in Louky. Crime.......well...... I'd say worse in Louky. "Adequate" schools? .....regarding autism.....I know of several Big Wigs there whose children had LDs (not necessarily autism,) and were horribly frustrated. Houston floods from time to time. AND GUESS WHAT?! Louisville Floods Too! It's in a RIVER VALLEY. It's TORNADO CENTRAL! Louky continually has the WORST ALLERGIES CITY-WISE IN THE NATION........year after year. It is certainly smaller. I can say it was fine in raising kids when they were little......before they entered elementary school. There is alot to do when you have small kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 05:59 AM
 
Location: I is where I is
1,922 posts, read 1,300,121 times
Reputation: 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan8801 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm from Houston and I'm about to graduate nursing school this year. I am seriously thinking about moving to Louisville. I was wondering if anyone could compare the two cities for me? Is Louisville a more family friendly city? Houston's traffic and crime seems to just be getting worse every year. I'm a single mother and my son has autism.
I was wondering if Louisville has adequate schools and resources for autism? Where should I live? How is the weather compared to Houston? I am so sick of hurricane season and it seems everytime we get a hard rain it floods everywhere. I want to live somewhere that is quiet and safe. Please respond. Any advice y'all have is greatly appreciated!


Crime is mainly in one area, which is the west end. Of course, there is crime no matter where you go, but the bulk is the west end. Family friendly, I'd say so, especially the East end and the Highlands/Cherokee area, which is where I'd start looking to live for sure. Traffic is finally starting to get better, Louisville has been going through a major bridge and road overhaul and they just finished one of the main bridges. Still traffic in "rush hour" times but for the most part, nothing terrible. Weather is unpredictable, so far this "winter" it's been very warm. Usually it's pretty cold I'd say 20's-30's is the average for a normal winter. The only thing I can't comment on is school for autism, I don't have kids at all so I've never dealt with that area.


Overall, I love Louisville. It's getting bigger and more people are recognizing it finally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 06:09 AM
 
Location: I is where I is
1,922 posts, read 1,300,121 times
Reputation: 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLKYer View Post
I'M from Houston, and believe me, Louisville is NOT a good alternative EVER in a million years. Family Friendly? Depends. Traffic, yes, better in Louky. Crime.......well...... I'd say worse in Louky. "Adequate" schools? .....regarding autism.....I know of several Big Wigs there whose children had LDs (not necessarily autism,) and were horribly frustrated. Houston floods from time to time. AND GUESS WHAT?! Louisville Floods Too! It's in a RIVER VALLEY. It's TORNADO CENTRAL! Louky continually has the WORST ALLERGIES CITY-WISE IN THE NATION........year after year. It is certainly smaller. I can say it was fine in raising kids when they were little......before they entered elementary school. There is alot to do when you have small kids.


How do you figure crime is worse in Louisville? if you're looking at major crimes alone( murder, robberies, rapes, etc...) Houston outnumbered Louisville by a wide margin. And I mean a WIDE margin. As in almost 150 more murders, 8,000 more assault cases, 2000 more robbery cases, 500 more rape cases, 10,000 ish more cases of stolen cars... Do I need to go on? I realize Houston is bigger, and that means more crime...But that also means Louisville is smaller, with ALOT less crime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2015, 08:14 PM
 
6,296 posts, read 13,182,702 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
How do you figure crime is worse in Louisville? if you're looking at major crimes alone( murder, robberies, rapes, etc...) Houston outnumbered Louisville by a wide margin. And I mean a WIDE margin. As in almost 150 more murders, 8,000 more assault cases, 2000 more robbery cases, 500 more rape cases, 10,000 ish more cases of stolen cars... Do I need to go on? I realize Houston is bigger, and that means more crime...But that also means Louisville is smaller, with ALOT less crime
This poster is an anti Louisville troll that has been banned before. Please do not engage. You are correct, Louisville is SUBSTANTIALLY safer than Houston. It is also nearly 4 times smaller!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2015, 05:13 AM
 
Location: I is where I is
1,922 posts, read 1,300,121 times
Reputation: 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
This poster is an anti Louisville troll that has been banned before. Please do not engage. You are correct, Louisville is SUBSTANTIALLY safer than Houston. It is also nearly 4 times smaller!
Thanks for the heads up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2015, 08:42 AM
 
7 posts, read 5,515 times
Reputation: 10
XLKYer would you say you like Houston better than Louisville? HISD is pretty horrible and it's only getting worse. Houston has so much crime (I live within the 610 loop...not in the suburbs). I'm about to graduate from University of Houston....my car has been broken into so many times on campus. What would you say are some pros about Louisville? I am also considering moving to Oldham County and commuting. I heard Oldham County has excellent schools. Traffic can't be as bad as Houston. I really had my hopes on Kentucky I thought it would be more relaxed and peaceful up there, but your post gave me second thoughts. Do you miss Houston? Do you regret moving to Louisville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2015, 10:24 AM
 
Location: I is where I is
1,922 posts, read 1,300,121 times
Reputation: 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan8801 View Post
XLKYer would you say you like Houston better than Louisville? HISD is pretty horrible and it's only getting worse. Houston has so much crime (I live within the 610 loop...not in the suburbs). I'm about to graduate from University of Houston....my car has been broken into so many times on campus. What would you say are some pros about Louisville? I am also considering moving to Oldham County and commuting. I heard Oldham County has excellent schools. Traffic can't be as bad as Houston. I really had my hopes on Kentucky I thought it would be more relaxed and peaceful up there, but your post gave me second thoughts. Do you miss Houston? Do you regret moving to Louisville?
XLKYer is apparently notorious for "trolling" the Louisville board. I left a long reply with info as well as others. I have lived in Louisville my whole life. If you avoid the west end, you will be perfectly fine. Don't let 1 bad apple ruin your high hopes. Louisville is great and up and coming, you will love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top