U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-21-2015, 06:23 AM
 
Location: I is where I is
1,922 posts, read 1,299,025 times
Reputation: 2102

Advertisements

I don't need advice or anything, just a matter of concern that I'd like input on from people who live in New Albany.

I live on Main St, and last night (Dec.20th) I was awoken by what sounded like a massive jet/plane. It sounded directly overhead. This has started happening more and more (once every few weeks). Has anyone noticed the same thing? Anyone know what exactly it is or what they're doing?

I realize Louisville airport isn't far away, but the loudness of this sound, tells me if it is a plane/jet, it is incredibly low to the ground. Any help appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2015, 07:10 AM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,584 posts, read 20,464,174 times
Reputation: 9077
I heard something like that too, I'm on Charlestown Rd halfway btw Spring St and 265. I've noticed a lot more plane noise than usual, I presume it is UPS being busy right before Christmas. Maybe they had one very large plane or one plane took too low of a trajectory.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 09:34 AM
 
Location: I is where I is
1,922 posts, read 1,299,025 times
Reputation: 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I heard something like that too, I'm on Charlestown Rd halfway btw Spring St and 265. I've noticed a lot more plane noise than usual, I presume it is UPS being busy right before Christmas. Maybe they had one very large plane or one plane took too low of a trajectory.
Usually I would think nothing of it because planes are heard often and it's no big deal. But last night was just really weird. It sounded like a jet taking off right in front of our place. Shook the whole house, etc... Scared the crap out of me!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2015, 03:52 PM
 
3,464 posts, read 4,301,747 times
Reputation: 7106
I live in the Highlands, not New Albany, but I have notied a phenomenon over the past 6 years. During the one month "busy season", air traffic shifts and we get a lot of what you describe, too. I think it has to do with the UPS hub and the jet traffic in and out of there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2015, 07:36 AM
 
Location: IL/IN/FL/CA/KY/FL
1,124 posts, read 799,197 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I live in the Highlands, not New Albany, but I have notied a phenomenon over the past 6 years. During the one month "busy season", air traffic shifts and we get a lot of what you describe, too. I think it has to do with the UPS hub and the jet traffic in and out of there.
This sounds accurate. Also, the area typically doesn't see airplanes larger than 737's (from Southwest and maybe AA occasionally) from a passenger perspective, but UPS has 747's, MD11's and other massive planes. If traffic shifts for them, they're going to fly much lower than the standard regional jets that would take a southerly approach around New Albany area. I'm not a pilot, but I would presume right around the river would be around the time landing gear drops also for those larger jets, if not sooner. With 747's on takeoff to the north of SDF, you're hearing 4 engines humming at full power. It will most certainly be loud!

In fact, here's one 747 that you might have heard if you were awake around 4:30 this morning - http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UPS80
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2015, 08:44 AM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,584 posts, read 20,464,174 times
Reputation: 9077
New Albany is in descent path for the airport, large planes fly over here all the time. It's quieter here than around U of L but still noticeable. This is the first xmas season I've lived here and the numbers are higher since it's UPS busiest shipping time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2015, 10:54 AM
 
3,464 posts, read 4,301,747 times
Reputation: 7106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
This sounds accurate. Also, the area typically doesn't see airplanes larger than 737's (from Southwest and maybe AA occasionally) from a passenger perspective, but UPS has 747's, MD11's and other massive planes. If traffic shifts for them, they're going to fly much lower than the standard regional jets that would take a southerly approach around New Albany area. I'm not a pilot, but I would presume right around the river would be around the time landing gear drops also for those larger jets, if not sooner. With 747's on takeoff to the north of SDF, you're hearing 4 engines humming at full power. It will most certainly be loud!

In fact, here's one 747 that you might have heard if you were awake around 4:30 this morning - United Parcel Service (5X) #80

wow. Cool site!
When do they have time to service them ?!?!?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2015, 11:47 AM
 
Location: IL/IN/FL/CA/KY/FL
1,124 posts, read 799,197 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
wow. Cool site!
When do they have time to service them ?!?!?
Aircraft have a pretty regimented maintenance schedule - most airlines (except the really cheap ones like Spirit or Allegiant) have extra aircraft that they use, so that they can take other aircraft out of rotation for maintenance. This time of year though, I would think UPS would use as many aircraft as they can get their hands on - and they prep for this every year also...it's not like the holidays sneak up on them.

This is one reason why I don't recommend flying Spirit or Allegiant. The cheap fare may be enticing, but if they have one aircraft that needs maintenance unexpectedly, it throws their entire operation into chaos. Allegiant also uses rather old planes, so they need more maintenance, and thus more delays occur. With them flying out of smaller airports, they don't have backup aircraft to come in. You're stuck waiting for them to fix that plane, if they can even fix it at that location.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top