U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 10:28 AM

13 posts, read 14,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Blown out of proportion? you must be confused.... I think we all know what went on and just like all the politicians and news media, we ain't supposed to talk about it. In a perfect world it might work like that. Don't talk about it and it will go away...sure it will.

I have a question...how many of those alleged teenagers were actually teenagers? No doubt some were but, I have a feeling more were let's say, somewhat older.

Yeah if anything wrong happens in this city or if there is something wrong with this city, this guy refuses to acknowledge it. The way he talks about Louisville, you'd think this place would be 1/3 Heaven, 1/3 Merry old Land of Oz, and 1/3 Narnia. If you post anything even slightly negative about this place he shoots you down and says you're wrong. The way I see it, if you really care about a place, you don't constantly sweep all its problems under the rug and expect it to go away. You actually solve the problems to make this place a better place. There's too many people here who simply don't like change and/or view the city with rose colored glasses and thus many of this city's problems wind up under the rug. The truth hurts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 01:30 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,302,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno25 View Post
Yeah if anything wrong happens in this city or if there is something wrong with this city, this guy refuses to acknowledge it. The way he talks about Louisville, you'd think this place would be 1/3 Heaven, 1/3 Merry old Land of Oz, and 1/3 Narnia. If you post anything even slightly negative about this place he shoots you down and says you're wrong. The way I see it, if you really care about a place, you don't constantly sweep all its problems under the rug and expect it to go away. You actually solve the problems to make this place a better place. There's too many people here who simply don't like change and/or view the city with rose colored glasses and thus many of this city's problems wind up under the rug. The truth hurts.

Eventually the truth will find it's way out anyway but for the time being it let's people who live in lala land keep living there peacefully.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:02 PM

7,096 posts, read 3,792,851 times
It's politically incorrect; that's the be-all and end-all.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:35 PM

9,590 posts, read 20,477,839 times
The Louisville Metro mayor now has come out and said the media blow the event out of proportion. You can not be kidding me. If I owned a business and lost revenue on one the year's busiest shopping days when a whole mall closed early how would I feel to hear that? Denying obvious problems causes law abiding citizens to shop and live elsewhere.

When I was growing up in a middle class Lexington suburb teens would mob cars, flash passerby's, play chicken with cars when crossing the road, etc. You're brain's not fully developed at that age. What's different now is social media allows mass gatherings to be orchestrated. The mall now has more security and added some rules about teens having to be accompanied by an adult. Next time it will happen somewhere else that's not as prepared.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:36 PM

7,096 posts, read 3,792,851 times
He also said "no injuries," which contradicts the police report.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:47 AM

Thinking back on it I recall when I was dating my now wife that when we met at the Wendy's across from Oxmoor Center that there was usually a decent number of teenagers sitting in the restaurant but not eating. I wonder if there is a large number of teens from other parts of the city that are bused to public schools near the mall and they have down time before catching a bus home. I wish JCPS would stop the busing nonsense, I suspect it is part of the problem.

The media is now reporting that there have been smaller incidents in the mall area, like a Taco Bell taken over by 50+ teens. Why does the media not report such stuff when it happens? Stuff like that is why Trump is popular with a significant segment of the population, people feel that the media and some politicians have an agenda. I loathe Trump but I understand the frustration that there are elites who try to cover up stories because they feel the masses can't handle the truth. Right now the problem is annoying rather than dangerous but if it doesn't get stopped now that could change. Mayor Fischer pulled the same line about "media blowing things out of proportion" after the Big 4 Bridge problems, which also spilled over into downtown. It's frightening what the local media doesn't report on. I don't want Louisville to become Detroit, now is the time to keep things from getting out of hand.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:29 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,306,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Thinking back on it I recall when I was dating my now wife that when we met at the Wendy's across from Oxmoor Center that there was usually a decent number of teenagers sitting in the restaurant but not eating. I wonder if there is a large number of teens from other parts of the city that are bused to public schools near the mall and they have down time before catching a bus home. I wish JCPS would stop the busing nonsense, I suspect it is part of the problem.

The media is now reporting that there have been smaller incidents in the mall area, like a Taco Bell taken over by 50+ teens. Why does the media not report such stuff when it happens? Stuff like that is why Trump is popular with a significant segment of the population, people feel that the media and some politicians have an agenda. I loathe Trump but I understand the frustration that there are elites who try to cover up stories because they feel the masses can't handle the truth. Right now the problem is annoying rather than dangerous but if it doesn't get stopped now that could change. Mayor Fischer pulled the same line about "media blowing things out of proportion" after the Big 4 Bridge problems, which also spilled over into downtown. It's frightening what the local media doesn't report on. I don't want Louisville to become Detroit, now is the time to keep things from getting out of hand.

They showed the Mall stuff on local TV in Pennsylvania, so it made national news. The answer to the problem is too un-PC for people to discuss. Look for it to get worse before it gets better. Remember they said they had answers to make sure this stuff would never happen again after the bridge incident?
Well, here we are . . . Again.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:01 PM

If the media would do more digging into to who the teens involved were, why they were there, and where they came from we could start figuring out a solution. The Big 4 incident turned out to be gang relation, an initiation ceremony done by kids from the West End and downtown areas. A police station was added at the base of the Big 4 and since there have been no major problems... at least not that the media reports lol. I often walk the Big 4 in the day time and have never felt unsafe. Given the footage of MSM incident I doubt it was gang driven given the high percent of females and very young ages of many involved. It seems more like classmates in middle and high school deciding to act like fools and scare rich people, using social media to form flash mobs. I suspect most of those involved are bused to St M area from other parts of town. If the media confirmed that we could then make changes to JCPS.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:29 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,742,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Guys, lets not bring up racial things here as it is against forum policy. It seems to me the events were blown out of proportion
Political correctness run amuck when you don't wanna talk about a large number of people who created a chaotic event in a public place that made national news for fear of offending somebody's delicate sensebilities. Please. A perfect example of why Donald Trump is so popular today.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:06 PM

6,297 posts, read 13,189,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Political correctness run amuck when you don't wanna talk about a large number of people who created a chaotic event in a public place that made national news for fear of offending somebody's delicate sensebilities. Please. A perfect example of why Donald Trump is so popular today.
It's fine to talk about. But it should not be made into a racial thing, which has what it has become. And even the police overestimated the numbers. This type of stuff happens almost everywhere...the same weekend there was an instance in Charlotte and a shooting in a suburban ATL mall.

That fact remains...no crimes were technically committed at MSM and no one was charged.

That said, I DO agree there are an element of "bad parents" who let their kids ride the bus solo or drop them off at the mall for "free babysitting." But I blame this on the mall operators for not policing this before. Everyone relax...not everything is a racial armageddon. Mall St Matthews is in a very affluent, upscale area, and it is a very nice, SAFE mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or