U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:21 PM

19 posts, read 21,736 times

Advertisements

Old Louisville is the only downtown neighborhood to escape the Brutalist razings of the 50s-70s. The architecture is amazing, and it's perfectly urban and walkable if your idea of walkable is taking a stroll to Central Park while guffawing at the audacity of Victorian architecture. In a city like Louisville, where the majority of the metro area is easily accessible in a twenty minute drive, does it really matter that you have to hop in your car for a trip to Home Depot? I don't think so. There is a lack of commercial space, for sure, but there are quite a few corner stores and dive bars for late night excursions ranging from a quick toilet paper run to binge drinking all-niters. Old Louisville is an oasis that isn't quite an oasis yet. When the East End is built up to capacity, and those first-time home buying hipsters need more room than their shotgun houses in Germantown can afford, Old Louisville will experience a renaissance. Until then, it's a neighborhood of UofL students, stuffy old money, nasty meth-heads, and eccentric, cool people with enough gumption to take the long view. I'm not a student, I'm dirt poor, and I don't do meth, so I count myself part of the latter. Old Louisville isn't great, but it has the potential to be one of the great, urban, walkable neighborhoods in America.

So yeah, it takes a certain kind of person to dig Old Louisville. Coming from Boston, I appreciate the density and architecture. The courts are great. Such a simple concept to enliven a whole street. I can't believe the idea never caught on. If we legalized open containers in Old Louisville, the way they do in Savannah, the neighborhood would explode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 04:07 PM

94 posts, read 75,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp_26 View Post
Old Louisville is the only downtown neighborhood to escape the Brutalist razings of the 50s-70s. The architecture is amazing, and it's perfectly urban and walkable if your idea of walkable is taking a stroll to Central Park while guffawing at the audacity of Victorian architecture. In a city like Louisville, where the majority of the metro area is easily accessible in a twenty minute drive, does it really matter that you have to hop in your car for a trip to Home Depot? I don't think so. There is a lack of commercial space, for sure, but there are quite a few corner stores and dive bars for late night excursions ranging from a quick toilet paper run to binge drinking all-niters. Old Louisville is an oasis that isn't quite an oasis yet. When the East End is built up to capacity, and those first-time home buying hipsters need more room than their shotgun houses in Germantown can afford, Old Louisville will experience a renaissance. Until then, it's a neighborhood of UofL students, stuffy old money, nasty meth-heads, and eccentric, cool people with enough gumption to take the long view. I'm not a student, I'm dirt poor, and I don't do meth, so I count myself part of the latter. Old Louisville isn't great, but it has the potential to be one of the great, urban, walkable neighborhoods in America.

So yeah, it takes a certain kind of person to dig Old Louisville. Coming from Boston, I appreciate the density and architecture. The courts are great. Such a simple concept to enliven a whole street. I can't believe the idea never caught on. If we legalized open containers in Old Louisville, the way they do in Savannah, the neighborhood would explode.
Old Louisville is amazing and one day I'm sure it will become something like Cherokee Triangle, especially as you say neighbourhoods to the East begin to turn around and the crime doesn't spill over so much. One thing I don't understand is when people say there is a lack of commercial space. I think there is a lack of actual retail, but walking around, to me at least, there are a large number of traditional corner commercial buildings that are either seemingly empty, or being used for nonretail purposes that could eventually be turned into the sort of shops you see in hip neighbourhoods, like we're seeing in Nulu now, as wholesale hardware type stores begin to move out and distilleries and restaurants and shops move in. It seems like the bigger problem is the lack of people with the disposable income to patronize more upscale retail and dining places. One issue that will be longer in coming is the (completely appropriate) lack of parking that large national chains require to move in, which I'm sure will become less of a problem once the density of wealthy people within a short distance increases. I mean even the old Win Dixie building, with a parking lot is still there sitting empty and has been for some time.

So I'm sceptical of this claim that there is a lack of retail space, though I'd love to hear other explanations for what exactly people mean by this.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:28 AM

236 posts, read 214,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubedeathk View Post
Old Louisville is amazing and one day I'm sure it will become something like Cherokee Triangle, especially as you say neighbourhoods to the East begin to turn around and the crime doesn't spill over so much. One thing I don't understand is when people say there is a lack of commercial space. I think there is a lack of actual retail, but walking around, to me at least, there are a large number of traditional corner commercial buildings that are either seemingly empty, or being used for nonretail purposes that could eventually be turned into the sort of shops you see in hip neighbourhoods, like we're seeing in Nulu now, as wholesale hardware type stores begin to move out and distilleries and restaurants and shops move in. It seems like the bigger problem is the lack of people with the disposable income to patronize more upscale retail and dining places. One issue that will be longer in coming is the (completely appropriate) lack of parking that large national chains require to move in, which I'm sure will become less of a problem once the density of wealthy people within a short distance increases. I mean even the old Win Dixie building, with a parking lot is still there sitting empty and has been for some time.

So I'm sceptical of this claim that there is a lack of retail space, though I'd love to hear other explanations for what exactly people mean by this.

The fact that it's traditional building pattern will make it difficult for large national chains to come in is a positive, not a negative. Does anyone know how the neighborhood is zoned? You make a good point about the traditional corner buildings being available, but if they are not zoned commercial or mixed use they won't be sprouting businesses.

Parking shouldn't ever be a problem. If the area is to function at it's peak capacity, a certain percentage of residents will commute with something other than a car. The wide streets help allow parking, but no more than 40% or so will commute via private vehicle. With downtown and UofL being so close, eventually there will be no reason to drive because of all the neighborhood amenities.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:20 AM

4 posts, read 3,075 times
I personally love Old Lou. As others have said, its very diverse, interesting, and quirky. You can mesixal doctors living next to students living next to U of L professors, who live next to factory workers. Ots very interesting and there is a lot of pride within the community Central Park is great and offers free plays all summer long. (Shakespeare in the Park) So you can walk out your door, hit up a food truck, and see a great play. Old Lou also has Christmas Home Tours and Haunted Home tours. Of course, the St. James Art Fairis a really big deal. You can also visit the Conrad-Cauldwell and the offer other small events for the neighborhood lole movie nights in the Conrad-Caudwell with popcorn.My point is....theres a lot going on within that area and its a neat neighborhoood. Safety-wise, Ive noticed a lot of east-enders (where I live) are afraid of Old Lou, dowbtown, and just about any place that isnt east end. Most of never even been to Old Lou and the are just running off rumors, not experience. East enders tend to live in a bit of a bubble. I am a youngish, smallish female and have walked around Old Lou alone at night. There tend to be a lot of people doimg so bc its an active place...lots of runners and dog walkers too. Like you noticed, there are sketchier areas but the bulk of it is fine. You just need to have some street smarts like in any city. (Lock doors, hang out with good people) Honestly, I feel safer in Old. Lou than Clifton and theres a lot more to do. Downtown is walkable and the bus wouls be an option too.

Schools..Im not sure which schools your son would go to but check with your realtor or call JCPS. Again, people around here bash the schools horribly and tens to put down any school tha isnt east end or private but the truth is, there are some great schools (public and private) and some not so great. My little girl went to an east end school with a good rep and the experience was awful. (They lost her once, teacher put her down verbally, principal was a jerk) Her downtownish school ended up being wonderful and the teachers were just perfect.Point is...take what you hear with a graim of salt..people are judgemental and jump to conclusions. A school shouldnt be judged and rated just based on test scores, income, and rumors.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:42 AM

13,976 posts, read 18,695,428 times
Trulia crime maps make Old Louisville look like the 9th ward.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:43 PM

9,583 posts, read 20,456,271 times
Homicide rate is not that bad in OL, maybe 1 or 2 each year and mostly in the less affluent northern section. There is a lot of property crime and car break ins. I think there is still less crime in OL than the West End, where most non violent crime is not reported to police.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:39 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,173,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
come on not even close to 9th ward. More like Marigny or Bywater. Check that again. 9th ward has multiple homicides. Old Louisville has not even had one this whole year.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:41 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,173,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csofia7 View Post
I personally love Old Lou. As others have said, its very diverse, interesting, and quirky. You can mesixal doctors living next to students living next to U of L professors, who live next to factory workers. Ots very interesting and there is a lot of pride within the community Central Park is great and offers free plays all summer long. (Shakespeare in the Park) So you can walk out your door, hit up a food truck, and see a great play. Old Lou also has Christmas Home Tours and Haunted Home tours. Of course, the St. James Art Fairis a really big deal. You can also visit the Conrad-Cauldwell and the offer other small events for the neighborhood lole movie nights in the Conrad-Caudwell with popcorn.My point is....theres a lot going on within that area and its a neat neighborhoood. Safety-wise, Ive noticed a lot of east-enders (where I live) are afraid of Old Lou, dowbtown, and just about any place that isnt east end. Most of never even been to Old Lou and the are just running off rumors, not experience. East enders tend to live in a bit of a bubble. I am a youngish, smallish female and have walked around Old Lou alone at night. There tend to be a lot of people doimg so bc its an active place...lots of runners and dog walkers too. Like you noticed, there are sketchier areas but the bulk of it is fine. You just need to have some street smarts like in any city. (Lock doors, hang out with good people) Honestly, I feel safer in Old. Lou than Clifton and theres a lot more to do. Downtown is walkable and the bus wouls be an option too.

Schools..Im not sure which schools your son would go to but check with your realtor or call JCPS. Again, people around here bash the schools horribly and tens to put down any school tha isnt east end or private but the truth is, there are some great schools (public and private) and some not so great. My little girl went to an east end school with a good rep and the experience was awful. (They lost her once, teacher put her down verbally, principal was a jerk) Her downtownish school ended up being wonderful and the teachers were just perfect.Point is...take what you hear with a graim of salt..people are judgemental and jump to conclusions. A school shouldnt be judged and rated just based on test scores, income, and rumors.
welcome to the forums...Old Lou is great....not more active than Clifton though. Clifton also has more restaurants and retail. That said, Old Lou is perfectly safe except suffers higher property crime. You do indeed need to use street smarts like any city. Travel in pairs at night.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:18 AM

94 posts, read 75,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Interesting that you say that, but of course it's not true. Tim Faulkner was on the Leo's podcast and he talked about the time he spent in the 9th ward and how that was many times worse and less safe than Portland, which itself is decidedly less nice than Old Louisville. There are certainly some areas with extreme disinvestment and security issues here but it's far from being as bad as the worst areas in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or