U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 12:41 PM

6,296 posts, read 13,179,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Two homicides so far this year, but it's not dangerous? Was there something special about those homicides that people should not worry about them?
Yes, both were in Shelby Park, NOT Old Louisville. Neither was random, and both were drug related. The rise in heroin and cocaine is directly related to this.

I am not saying there is not a crime problem, because there is, but for a city of 700k, it is about average.

What I am saying is there is not a RANDOM violent crime problem. It is a very rare event for an innocent citizen who does not consume drugs or prostitutes to be involved in random, violent crimes. That's a FACT.
My job is not not let people sit here and race bait people away from the urban areas. Because that's exactly what this thread is about, although no one has explicitly said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 12:48 PM

6,296 posts, read 13,179,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

Indy has long had much more violent crime than Louisville, and still does.

Unlike Indy, Louisville has had all of ZERO homicides in downtown or its immediate neighborhoods to the east or south (old Louisville).

Meanwhile, Indy has had 3 homicides this year alone just in the mile square downtown. One in fact was in Monument Circle (would be similar to a homicide at 4th St Live), and the other was pretty darn close to Lucas Oil, and we have yet to see one in Louisville anywhere near the Yum Center.

I am not saying Louisville doe snot have its problems, but alot of this is propagated by local media, who frankly does so because they know their is a subverted fear in this community of young AA males. The fact is, almost 80% of all shootings in Louisville are black on black. Most the rest are domestic.
This is a national problem, not a Louisville problem.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:09 AM

5,057 posts, read 8,360,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Yes, both were in Shelby Park, NOT Old Louisville. Neither was random, and both were drug related. The rise in heroin and cocaine is directly related to this.

I am not saying there is not a crime problem, because there is, but for a city of 700k, it is about average.

What I am saying is there is not a RANDOM violent crime problem. It is a very rare event for an innocent citizen who does not consume drugs or prostitutes to be involved in random, violent crimes. That's a FACT.
My job is not not let people sit here and race bait people away from the urban areas. Because that's exactly what this thread is about, although no one has explicitly said it.
I've been thinking about buying a house in Louisville for years, but one thing that makes me pause is the escalating drug problem in Kentucky and the crime typically associated with addicts. And the biggest growth in the addict population is among young and middle-aged whites. So I don't know why you claim this is about race-baiting and fear of "young AA males," unless you simply want to try to shut down any discussion of problems in the Louisville area. Some of us really do just come here looking for information.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:58 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,339,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Indy has long had much more violent crime than Louisville, and still does.

Unlike Indy, Louisville has had all of ZERO homicides in downtown or its immediate neighborhoods to the east or south (old Louisville).

Meanwhile, Indy has had 3 homicides this year alone just in the mile square downtown. One in fact was in Monument Circle (would be similar to a homicide at 4th St Live), and the other was pretty darn close to Lucas Oil, and we have yet to see one in Louisville anywhere near the Yum Center.

I am not saying Louisville doe snot have its problems, but alot of this is propagated by local media, who frankly does so because they know their is a subverted fear in this community of young AA males. The fact is, almost 80% of all shootings in Louisville are black on black. Most the rest are domestic.
This is a national problem, not a Louisville problem.
I gathered that from driving and walking around Indy (during the day time) a few months ago. Louisville appeared to be much safer. Louisville also looked newer and cleaner in the downtown area.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:26 AM

9,584 posts, read 20,464,174 times
I understand what Peter means, it is true that 99% of homicides involve gangs, drugs, or other illegal activities. Crime is mostly contained in non tourist areas and someone not involved in a high risk lifestyle is unlikely to be harmed. But it is still an unacceptable amount of death, especially in such a small part of town that's only 10% of the county population. Every person murdered could have been a firefighter, store manager, even doctor. Instead they end up dead at a young age, often leaving behind young children. While there are many factors (failed urban renewal policies, the war on drugs, etc) in why the West End has so many problems the core problem is a break down of the family structure. Very few children are raised in stable nuclear family environment. The leaves one person (the mom) to handle all the discipline. It also stretches money thin since 1 income is paying the bills rather than 2 incomes. I know this is a sensitive issue that many people won't talk about but the statistics on child outcomes and family structure is overwhelming. As someone who grew up in a very dysfunctional home environment I see how much more I struggle than people who grew up with 2 stable parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or