Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2016, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 519 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...my first post!

I am looking to start investing and wanted to start off with something a little more than just beginners US bonds. I have been following the currency articles and thought I would start there. While still in school and not earning more than $35K at the moment, I really am too intimidated to start using the Forex software...but I thought I would simply find someplace that exchanges physical money.

Do you think spending a $100 to buy ruble or pesos is a good start? I believe $100 would get me about 800 rubles...and some day the ruble would rise, and I could exchange it back for US currency for more than I initially paid. Does this sound like a good way to start off with a hundred dollars?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 05:11 PM

115 posts, read 146,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceve4life View Post
Hello everyone...my first post!

I am looking to start investing and wanted to start off with something a little more than just beginners US bonds. I have been following the currency articles and thought I would start there. While still in school and not earning more than $35K at the moment, I really am too intimidated to start using the Forex software...but I thought I would simply find someplace that exchanges physical money.

Do you think spending a $100 to buy ruble or pesos is a good start? I believe $100 would get me about 800 rubles...and some day the ruble would rise, and I could exchange it back for US currency for more than I initially paid. Does this sound like a good way to start off with a hundred dollars?

Thanks
The best place in town to exchange money is your bank. I bank with chase and there is no transaction fees for currency exchange, but it takes a few days because they don't always have the currency on hand. That said there is still a spread that would probably eat up a bit of that $100, and you have to worry about keeping it safe. You could do it for fun, but it's just gambling, and Forex trading is a really effective way to lose money. It's better to start a Vanguard account and put money you won't need for a few years into an S&P 500 index fund, in a Roth IRA if you don't already have one because your income will go up and you should already be contributing to your employers 401k plan to as much as they match. More reward and risk (but reasonable) than bonds, which are probably on a downward trend anyway (not that you should try to time the market).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area