U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 03:47 PM

6,278 posts, read 3,575,143 times

Advertisements

A new study ranks Louisville as so decadent that it is number 6 in a Sin City article (even higher than Las Vegas!!!)
What do you think?

Sin City: Louisville is decadent and depraved, according to this list - Insider Louisville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 04:01 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
A new study ranks Louisville as so decadent that it is number 6 in a Sin City article (even higher than Las Vegas!!!)
What do you think?

Sin City: Louisville is decadent and depraved, according to this list - Insider Louisville
Ha ha ! Great article!
I know I have never seen anywhere that smokes as much as Louisville. It's just like the 70's here. I wonder if Louisvillians have gotten the news that that is bad for you?

Old 02-10-2016, 07:45 AM

1,124 posts, read 799,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Ha ha ! Great article!
I know I have never seen anywhere that smokes as much as Louisville. It's just like the 70's here. I wonder if Louisvillians have gotten the news that that is bad for you?
No kidding. I was telling my wife that the other day. Having just moved back here, I noticed how little that changed, and how the stench of stale tobacco on people was making me sick. It's my least favorite trait of the city.

I think there was a study not long ago where we were in the top 3 of naughty searches online as well, so even though that wasn't part of the criteria in the above article, it adds to the case!

Old 02-10-2016, 01:06 PM

9,585 posts, read 20,464,174 times
The Indiana side is really bad for smoking, especially the poor areas. Driving through the poor section of New Albany there are lots of tobacco stores. It's not uncommon to be sitting at a traffic light and have several 25 year old American trucks come through each with 2 or 3 people in them smoking. Around here you see people smoking in their cars all over the place. It's mind boggling to me that people still smoke in 2016. My mom's family were tobacco farmers but if I ever got caught smoking I would've beaten with a cane.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:10 PM

6,278 posts, read 3,575,143 times
I know - I love Kentucky, it is my favorite state, but the smoking thing baffles and puts me off more than anything about it -it's amazing that in this day and age so many people choose to smoke, with all we know now. (I have asthma and just getting near someone smoking makes me wheeze and break out into an asthma attack, so I find everything about smoking horrible - the smell, everything. I even knew a girl who smoked all through her pregnancy a couple years ago - and she claimed it was good for her baby when we tried to tell her she should stop at least during her pregnancy and breast feeding time...she said it was good because if she quit it would cause her stress, and that would do more harm than the actual smoking...sigh.)

Old 02-13-2016, 11:27 PM

5,620 posts, read 13,304,201 times
It's definitely more prevalent in the poorer and more working class neighborhoods though. Not as much in places like St. Matthews or the Highlands. But you can usually tell when someone is going to smell like stale cigarettes. I've learned how to point them out and hold my breath while walking by them. We seem to frequent different calibers of establishments, though, so I don't run into them as often.

But honestly, go out a night in SF some time. All the hipsters smoke their American Spirits all over the city. They're all into vegan organic gluten free fair trade cage free everything, but then right after dinner they'll chain smoke a pack of cigarettes. I don't get it.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:19 AM

1,124 posts, read 799,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
But honestly, go out a night in SF some time. All the hipsters smoke their American Spirits all over the city. They're all into vegan organic gluten free fair trade cage free everything, but then right after dinner they'll chain smoke a pack of cigarettes. I don't get it.
This isn't true at all. I just moved back after living in SF for 2 years, and seeing ANYONE smoking there was a rare sight, and when you did it was most often someone on the poorer side economically, Asian or otherwise, and maybe an occasional hipster, but people shun smokers in SF hardcore. My wife had a coworker friend who was a smoker who moved there from Chicago and told her she basically could only smoke outside her apartment, because anyone who saw her would berate her for hit.

Even when I went to concerts in SoMa, I rarely saw smokers at those venues. Yes, there are some, but that blanket statement just doesn't fit.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:58 PM

5,620 posts, read 13,304,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
This isn't true at all. I just moved back after living in SF for 2 years, and seeing ANYONE smoking there was a rare sight, and when you did it was most often someone on the poorer side economically, Asian or otherwise, and maybe an occasional hipster, but people shun smokers in SF hardcore. My wife had a coworker friend who was a smoker who moved there from Chicago and told her she basically could only smoke outside her apartment, because anyone who saw her would berate her for hit.

Even when I went to concerts in SoMa, I rarely saw smokers at those venues. Yes, there are some, but that blanket statement just doesn't fit.
Guess we hung out with different crowds and frequented different places. I moved there in 2010. Moved away in 2014. If you were there 2 years, that would put you having moved there in 2013/2014. I know it isn't a huge time difference, but SF changed so dramatically within those few years, it became almost a new city. Between 2010 and 2016, it really is a new city. Maybe the 2010-2012 SF was different enough when the hipsters and the lifelong natives (many Russians and Chinese and various others) were still a large population. 2014-2016 SF has been taken over by the techies. They're a group of educated computer geeks, a demographic much less likely to smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area