Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 07:36 AM

3 posts, read 5,154 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Louisville early April after being relocated to Charlotte area over 6 years ago. I am apprehensive as I am sure everyone would be, I especially loved the weather in the Carolinas. Originally from WI so I am used to cold weather, we visited Louisville on a house hunting trip in January and we had to leave early because of a snow storm coming in, the airlines cancelled flights so we were glad we left when we did. Please tell me the it warms up quickly in Louisville, I have learned to become a no socks girl....Haha, but my question is this.....from what we saw ever home we liked online it is pending before we even get there...hot market for home sales. We are looking in the zip codes of 40245, 40299, 40223 and such.....also we are used to living in an area with a lot of transplants so making friends was easy, hoping for the same southern hospitality in Louisville. We are looking for at least a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home, 2 car garage and of course I would prefer "pie in the sky"......in other words I want it all....anyone know of communities with pools.....I am a sitting by the pool kind of gal!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 07:54 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
The most similar area in terms of transplant would be NE Louisville into Oldham and Shelby Cos, which is the area you looked in. Winter weather here would be roughly between Milwaukee and Charlotte. Half our winter days aren't too bad with highs in the 40s or 50s. The other half is cold with highs in the 20s or 30s. Our average high in Dec / Jan / Feb is 40. We get several small snows per year and now and then a large (6 inches to over a foot) snow but unlike WI our snow rarely stays on the ground more than a few days. I'd say 75% of our winter days have no snow cover on the ground. Our severe weather risk in terms of tornadoes would be similar to Charlotte, we get a lot less than Alabama or Oklahoma but a bit more than the Great Lakes area.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:04 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnkmits View Post
We will be moving to Louisville early April after being relocated to Charlotte area over 6 years ago. I am apprehensive as I am sure everyone would be, I especially loved the weather in the Carolinas. Originally from WI so I am used to cold weather, we visited Louisville on a house hunting trip in January and we had to leave early because of a snow storm coming in, the airlines cancelled flights so we were glad we left when we did. Please tell me the it warms up quickly in Louisville, I have learned to become a no socks girl....Haha, but my question is this.....from what we saw ever home we liked online it is pending before we even get there...hot market for home sales. We are looking in the zip codes of 40245, 40299, 40223 and such.....also we are used to living in an area with a lot of transplants so making friends was easy, hoping for the same southern hospitality in Louisville. We are looking for at least a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home, 2 car garage and of course I would prefer "pie in the sky"......in other words I want it all....anyone know of communities with pools.....I am a sitting by the pool kind of gal!!
Try Norton Commons. Tons of transplants and a fast growing suburban lifestyle. Zip is 40059. That is actually th best suburban zip anyways.

Don't count out the older city and inner ring suburbs.

40204, 40205, 40206, and 40207 actually have the highest resale values and best appreciation.

The weather is not that bad. Had you come at the end of December it was 70. 2 weeks ago it was 60. This weekend will be the coldest of the year with lows around 10. Louisville weather is not too much different than NC, maybe 7 degrees cooler on average. By mid March it warms up to where it is not really cold, just cool. end of May through mid September are stifling hot. October is probably the post pleasant month, followed by late April and most of May.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:54 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,324,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnkmits View Post
There are many nice "communities" with pools, playgrounds, etc... Norton Commons is a very nice area, a bit pricey though since it's still undergoing constant change, new stuff etc... Lake Forest is another great place with all the amenities you could ask for (pool, golf course, etc...) That being said, do you have a budget planned for a home? That would help determine neighborhood recommendations.

You came at the wrong time as far as weather. A couple weeks before you were here, it was still in the 60's and amazing for December. Usually once Mid-March hits, it feels good outside (still cool but nice). Once June hits, it starts to get very warm. And July-September it's downright hot and humid. October is my favorite month, great weather, usually a dry month to enjoy everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: