U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:07 PM

6,305 posts, read 13,199,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostellic View Post
I feel like the south end is the epitome of hit or miss. One neighborhood may be great while the next could be sketchy. I've lived far out in the east end (Worthington Hills area by the Chamberlain Ford Plant), St.Matthews/Lyndon border area, and in the South End off palatka (presently).I have to say, the lifestyle in the south end is MUCH easier to me. Traffic is not a big problem and as previously mentioned-it's more of a working middle-class area. The homes are cheaper so you get more bang for your buck, but chances are you'll have to drive out a ways to hang out at the "popular" spots such as St. Matthews and Bardstown road. We have all the basic amenities that you need, but sometimes I pass on going to places like the mall cause I don't feel like making the drive. When I hang out with friends, it usually entails me having to drive a good distance. There's not really much "fun" things to do down here other than some things like occasional events at the park. There isn't much of a night life or anything like that.

The east end has a reputation for rich snobby folks while the south end has a reputation for the opposite. When I tell people I live near iroquois park, the usual reaction I get is "yikes" or "ohhh I bet that's rough." That's the stereotype we get from the east enders when in all honestly, it's not bad at all. I've never feared my safety here. My neighborhood is nothing but older folks and middle-aged folks who work at places like GE and Ford. The prices down here give them the opportunity to live more comfortably, and most of them are hard-working and generous folks who will take a fair day's pay for a fair day's work and make the best of everything rather than complain up a storm about something meaningless. Everything out east is newer and continuously up and coming while the south end is just there. Everything around here is older and more run down, but it's really not a bad area at all. It's just more hit or miss than the east end with it's own culture.
Very good, and fair analysis...also...keep in mind there are some very diverse areas like Beechmont, which is very high percentage hispanic and asian.

Also, a good deal of artists and hippies/hipsters moving into beechmont near Iroqouis park. The homes are the same as those in the highlands only 1/3 the price. It is not all blue collar. That is a gross stereotype, yet it is def a more blue collar, working class vibe. Certainly not ghetto at all! There are even some fairly rich areas off palatka rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 11:06 PM

86 posts, read 91,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Very good, and fair analysis...also...keep in mind there are some very diverse areas like Beechmont, which is very high percentage hispanic and asian.

Also, a good deal of artists and hippies/hipsters moving into beechmont near Iroqouis park. The homes are the same as those in the highlands only 1/3 the price. It is not all blue collar. That is a gross stereotype, yet it is def a more blue collar, working class vibe. Certainly not ghetto at all! There are even some fairly rich areas off palatka rd.
Agreed. I don't head out to Beechmont too much but I do have some Bosnian friends up in that direction. Definitely a lot of Asians in that area-many of which are Vietnamese. I'm glad to hear that the hipsters are coming down-maybe it'll eventually give our end of town some spark behind the reputation.

The richer areas off Palatka are very nice-have you seen/heard of Parkridge? I'm very close to that neighborhood and it's actually an amazing spot to even see thunder over louisville. If you head in the main entrance and work your way up the ridiculously steep and long hill and to the back corner, they left a section of property wide open. You're high enough to see downtown, so during thunder a lot of the residents up there gather up around that lot and watch the fireworks. It's pretty neat. Of course nothing beats being there in person, but it's a cool backup plan for a south ender. Also, heading down the big hill you get quite possibly one of the biggest and best views of the entire city. It's amazing. If you haven't heard of it or been there, I'd recommend checking it out if you're ever in the area.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:51 PM

6,305 posts, read 13,199,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostellic View Post
Agreed. I don't head out to Beechmont too much but I do have some Bosnian friends up in that direction. Definitely a lot of Asians in that area-many of which are Vietnamese. I'm glad to hear that the hipsters are coming down-maybe it'll eventually give our end of town some spark behind the reputation.

The richer areas off Palatka are very nice-have you seen/heard of Parkridge? I'm very close to that neighborhood and it's actually an amazing spot to even see thunder over louisville. If you head in the main entrance and work your way up the ridiculously steep and long hill and to the back corner, they left a section of property wide open. You're high enough to see downtown, so during thunder a lot of the residents up there gather up around that lot and watch the fireworks. It's pretty neat. Of course nothing beats being there in person, but it's a cool backup plan for a south ender. Also, heading down the big hill you get quite possibly one of the biggest and best views of the entire city. It's amazing. If you haven't heard of it or been there, I'd recommend checking it out if you're ever in the area.
I have been there, very underrated. East end style homes for less than half the price....4k sq foot all the bells and whistles for 250k.

There are very few areas in metro Louisville where I have not been. That's why I love it so much..I know its a good city.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:44 AM

86 posts, read 91,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I have been there, very underrated. East end style homes for less than half the price....4k sq foot all the bells and whistles for 250k.

There are very few areas in metro Louisville where I have not been. That's why I love it so much..I know its a good city.
They're also building brand new homes directly across the street from Parkridge that are a bit smaller and going for 250-300k. They're selling before even being completely built. Mainly middle-eastern and asian descents buying them. Nice folks. Always throw a smile and wave my way when I drive past.

I used to not like it here, but it's definitely gotten better over the years in my opinion. Lots to look forward to. Even google fiber coming to town is a positive sign. I have a friend who manages a bank and their company had a meeting about them transitioning to google fiber once it comes and discussed how it's a good sign of Louisville being on the rise and a target for millennials. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

So. Indiana is developing heavily too.

Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 29 times
Most of these people in these comments donít even know what there talking about. Iíve lived in southwest my whole life and Iíve been to every part of it. Some areas out there are ok but thereís only a couple like that. Southwest is poor white trash and has a lot of crime and bad things going on especially with drugs and rape. and it has the worst schools in the city. By the time I was 16 I had already been shot at, molested, seen some sickening things, done some crazy things. And most of the people I know are either dead, on drugs, or in jail. But one good thing I have to say is other than the biker gangs thereís isnít too much gang activity out here.

Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 29 times
Just stay away from the trailer parks and areas like valley village, lake dreamland, Sylvania, viliana, valley downs, green tree, Montrae, baeshore/yucca, riverside gardens, west pages ln, and if u get in a area with a lot of tents and garbage and u might want to hurry and leave because them homeless people are crazy out here

Old Today, 11:24 AM

95 posts, read 76,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelhowerds8903 View Post
Most of these people in these comments don’t even know what there talking about. I’ve lived in southwest my whole life and I’ve been to every part of it. Some areas out there are ok but there’s only a couple like that. Southwest is poor white trash and has a lot of crime and bad things going on especially with drugs and rape. and it has the worst schools in the city. By the time I was 16 I had already been shot at, molested, seen some sickening things, done some crazy things. And most of the people I know are either dead, on drugs, or in jail. But one good thing I have to say is other than the biker gangs there’s isn’t too much gang activity out here.
True reading this thread it seems like a lot of responses were about the old South Louisville as opposed to Southwest Louisville, a very different culture indeed, even though they often get lumped together when people talk about "South Louisville." It's kind of the same with the East End, which also encompasses a range of incomes and social classes across a wide area. I guess the difference is "South Louisville" also has a very specific meaning in that there's a neighborhood called South Louisville, in addition to the wider geographic one of south Louisville.

Old Today, 04:13 PM

1 posts
I lived in prp near west pages lane for a little while. I honestly got to say it was a bad idea to move there. Yeah the houses are alright and cheap but I didnít think it was a tough neighborhood until I moved there. Definitely not a place to raise kids. Your daughter will most likely get raped, get on drugs, be pregnant before sheís 18 and your son will be in and out of jail every year too. At least thatís what most kids from around there are like thereís also A lot of gun shots and fights and sirens. My son got beat up and robbed on the way to the buss stop one morning too. Right off the bat I noticed a lot of break ins Theft Robberyís and the people across from me were dealing and drug addicts walking around high. I got used to it for a little bit but then it was getting closer and closer. Both of my neighbors houses had got broken into then soon enough my house got burglarized and my cars one night and garage then my neighbors truck got stolen and I found a used Sureng in my front yard one morning. I was beyond fed up at this point so I moved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or