U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-28-2016, 07:25 PM
 
7 posts, read 6,350 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I'm a twenty-something artist who knows how to look after myself and I found my dream house in the Churchill Downs/U of L area. House is just north of the track and just west of Papa Johns stadium. The price, size, layout, are all basically perfect, far better than anything else I've found in the past eight months of searching.

My only reservation is the area. I know it's a little bit sketchy and as a single man I'm prepared for that. I'm not so much concerned for my own safety. I'm more concerned that it will be impossible to rent out the garage or a room in the house.

Can anyone who has lived in the area give me their thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2016, 10:03 PM
 
6,296 posts, read 13,179,782 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateidealist View Post
I'm a twenty-something artist who knows how to look after myself and I found my dream house in the Churchill Downs/U of L area. House is just north of the track and just west of Papa Johns stadium. The price, size, layout, are all basically perfect, far better than anything else I've found in the past eight months of searching.

My only reservation is the area. I know it's a little bit sketchy and as a single man I'm prepared for that. I'm not so much concerned for my own safety. I'm more concerned that it will be impossible to rent out the garage or a room in the house.

Can anyone who has lived in the area give me their thoughts?
What neighborhood street? Its honestly not awful. Not the safest for family or kids, but I doubt you will have issues unless you are a drug dealer
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2016, 10:36 PM
 
7 posts, read 6,350 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
What neighborhood street? Its honestly not awful. Not the safest for family or kids, but I doubt you will have issues unless you are a drug dealer
It's just North of Central Avenue and East of Taylor Boulevard: about a block away from the Police Training Academy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2016, 11:11 PM
 
6,296 posts, read 13,179,782 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateidealist View Post
It's just North of Central Avenue and East of Taylor Boulevard: about a block away from the Police Training Academy.
Shouldn't be awful...but there is quite a bit of crime along taylor.

That area sees a couple murders a year, but it is never random people. This can honestly happen anywhere. I wouldn't pay much for a home over there though. Something nice can be had for 35 grand. If you are single and don't walk around at wee hours it should be no issues.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2016, 11:54 PM
 
7 posts, read 6,350 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Shouldn't be awful...but there is quite a bit of crime along taylor.

That area sees a couple murders a year, but it is never random people. This can honestly happen anywhere. I wouldn't pay much for a home over there though. Something nice can be had for 35 grand. If you are single and don't walk around at wee hours it should be no issues.
Yeah that's the price range I'm looking at. And in that price range, the safest bet would be New Albany but for a lot of reasons I am iffy on looking across the river. I've been looking at Shelby Park, Smoketown, and Iroquois as well as South Louisville but I feel like all of these areas have similar crime risk levels so I'm more looking for the best house in any of these neighbourhoods.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 01:23 PM
 
6,296 posts, read 13,179,782 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateidealist View Post
Yeah that's the price range I'm looking at. And in that price range, the safest bet would be New Albany but for a lot of reasons I am iffy on looking across the river. I've been looking at Shelby Park, Smoketown, and Iroquois as well as South Louisville but I feel like all of these areas have similar crime risk levels so I'm more looking for the best house in any of these neighbourhoods.
If you want my opinon...shelby park could potentially have more crime than Taylor Berry now, but that is rapidly changing....many house flippers and gentrification at work in Shelby Park. This will probably never happen in Taylor Berry.

So, I would look at Shelby Park. east Oak street shotgun would be ideal, within walking distance of the sojourn midtown campus....you are just going to have a lot more resale potential in that area, especially if you fix it up nice.

Also, Shelby Park is more likely to get some more urban amenities...it is getting a coffee shop and already has a bakery and a few retail stores, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 03:56 PM
 
94 posts, read 76,049 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateidealist View Post
Yeah that's the price range I'm looking at. And in that price range, the safest bet would be New Albany but for a lot of reasons I am iffy on looking across the river. I've been looking at Shelby Park, Smoketown, and Iroquois as well as South Louisville but I feel like all of these areas have similar crime risk levels so I'm more looking for the best house in any of these neighbourhoods.
Yea I think Shelby Park is definitely the shorter term most certain play, and to some extent the prices already reflect that, though parts (Camp St.) and particularly run down houses are still very cheap. Smoketown is even cheaper and surely will follow, though it will be longer.

Why not look more at Beechmont proper, closer to Southern Parkway? The housing prices are not much more if at all more expensive than further west, and there is definitely more upside potential. It's just a matter of time until there is some hip bar/restaurant and eventually nicer retail along it's little shopping strip. It's definitely got less of the "hood" feel than the areas around Taylor Boulevard, though really the crime seems to be focused along the boulevard itself, and you are closer to all the very cool ethnic eateries and restaurants. I know UofL is definitely trying to turn around the neighborhood north of the Watterson but so far it's been slow going, and it doesn't have the draw of the beautiful already renovated mansions on Southern Parkway. I'd even look at the cheap houses along the edges of Old Louisville. Again, the time frame for that neighbhoorhood to more completely gentrify is probably shorter than other areas. I understand a lot of the reasons, but it just blows my mind that Old Louisville isn't more like Cherokee Triangle and the hub of upscale retail and restuarants. It's easily one of the most beautiful and intact neighbourhoods in the entire country, so eventually it will be embraced by more of the city, especially if shelby park to the east gentrifies.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 04:42 PM
 
7 posts, read 6,350 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubedeathk View Post
Yea I think Shelby Park is definitely the shorter term most certain play, and to some extent the prices already reflect that, though parts (Camp St.) and particularly run down houses are still very cheap. Smoketown is even cheaper and surely will follow, though it will be longer.

Why not look more at Beechmont proper, closer to Southern Parkway? The housing prices are not much more if at all more expensive than further west, and there is definitely more upside potential. It's just a matter of time until there is some hip bar/restaurant and eventually nicer retail along it's little shopping strip. It's definitely got less of the "hood" feel than the areas around Taylor Boulevard, though really the crime seems to be focused along the boulevard itself, and you are closer to all the very cool ethnic eateries and restaurants. I know UofL is definitely trying to turn around the neighborhood north of the Watterson but so far it's been slow going, and it doesn't have the draw of the beautiful already renovated mansions on Southern Parkway. I'd even look at the cheap houses along the edges of Old Louisville. Again, the time frame for that neighbhoorhood to more completely gentrify is probably shorter than other areas. I understand a lot of the reasons, but it just blows my mind that Old Louisville isn't more like Cherokee Triangle and the hub of upscale retail and restuarants. It's easily one of the most beautiful and intact neighbourhoods in the entire country, so eventually it will be embraced by more of the city, especially if shelby park to the east gentrifies.
I have looked at Beechmont but haven't seen anything decent below the $60k range in the months I've been searching and even then, the $60K homes in that area are tiny. There is some decent stuff in the Hazelwood/Iroquois area and also in the Camp street area that you mentioned, but in terms of bang for your buck Taylor Berry is far and away from anything else in Louisville or Southern Indiana outside of the deep west end. I have looked at some homes in the deep west end but the problem with those areas is that they combine the inaccessibility of New Albany or PRP with the safety issues you find in neighborhoods like Taylor Berry and Shelby Park.


Old Louisville is pretty hard to get into at this point. Most of the small homes in the area have been bought up it seems and I just don't have the resources to spring for a multi-family.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 06:53 PM
 
6,296 posts, read 13,179,782 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubedeathk View Post
Yea I think Shelby Park is definitely the shorter term most certain play, and to some extent the prices already reflect that, though parts (Camp St.) and particularly run down houses are still very cheap. Smoketown is even cheaper and surely will follow, though it will be longer.

Why not look more at Beechmont proper, closer to Southern Parkway? The housing prices are not much more if at all more expensive than further west, and there is definitely more upside potential. It's just a matter of time until there is some hip bar/restaurant and eventually nicer retail along it's little shopping strip. It's definitely got less of the "hood" feel than the areas around Taylor Boulevard, though really the crime seems to be focused along the boulevard itself, and you are closer to all the very cool ethnic eateries and restaurants. I know UofL is definitely trying to turn around the neighborhood north of the Watterson but so far it's been slow going, and it doesn't have the draw of the beautiful already renovated mansions on Southern Parkway. I'd even look at the cheap houses along the edges of Old Louisville. Again, the time frame for that neighbhoorhood to more completely gentrify is probably shorter than other areas. I understand a lot of the reasons, but it just blows my mind that Old Louisville isn't more like Cherokee Triangle and the hub of upscale retail and restuarants. It's easily one of the most beautiful and intact neighbourhoods in the entire country, so eventually it will be embraced by more of the city, especially if shelby park to the east gentrifies.
Theres a LOT more going on in Old lOuisville than you think. Just this year about a dozen business openings. The kinds of places that are opening next are a craft brewery and winery.

In many mid sized cities, their "hip" urban area may only have about the amenities of Old Louisville...and there are more bars and corner retail than you realize...it is just not organized in a linear strip like Louisvillians are used to ala 4th street, main or market, bardstown, frankfort, etc (even pearl and spring in NA and Jeff fit this linear mode). Louisville just has so many hip and cool areas for its size that Old Lou gets "left out"

St James Court is every bit as nice as the Triangle, and the prices reflect it. Call to a realtor down there, like Michael Mahmoud, and he will tell you 75% or more of the buyers are from out of state.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 07:16 PM
 
94 posts, read 76,049 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Theres a LOT more going on in Old lOuisville than you think. Just this year about a dozen business openings. The kinds of places that are opening next are a craft brewery and winery.

In many mid sized cities, their "hip" urban area may only have about the amenities of Old Louisville...and there are more bars and corner retail than you realize...it is just not organized in a linear strip like Louisvillians are used to ala 4th street, main or market, bardstown, frankfort, etc (even pearl and spring in NA and Jeff fit this linear mode). Louisville just has so many hip and cool areas for its size that Old Lou gets "left out"

St James Court is every bit as nice as the Triangle, and the prices reflect it. Call to a realtor down there, like Michael Mahmoud, and he will tell you 75% or more of the buyers are from out of state.
Yes you are right, and I agree with the number of businesses but for some reason it doesn't enjoy the same place in most people's minds probably for the linear arrangement you say, but the fact is that right now a lot of people think of going out on a weekend night to Frankfort Avenue or the Highlands and don't even consider old Louisville. It's just been hard going shedding it's unfortunate reputation. Parts are definitely every bit as expensive as Cherokee Triangle but there are many other houses and streets that are at a pretty big discount from what I've seen for the same sorts of homes; it seems like not every street is as filled with conscientious home-owners as St. James, and too many of the corner shops seem to cater to the 40 oz and a blunt crowd that as I read one person describe online "draw tweakers and junkies like moths to a lamp." I agree it's an incredible area as beautiful as any neighborhood in the country but there just seems to be some structural problems that are keeping it from its full potential, even considering as much as it has now in terms of businesses and residents. Getting the trucks off of Oak will do a lot. To get back to the OP, I guess it's not as cheap as Taylor Berry, but I've seen some pretty cheap places pop up on Floyd and Brook by the interstate, where'd you'd benefit from all the amenities and location that Old Louisville has now, and surely more to come.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateidealist View Post
I have looked at Beechmont but haven't seen anything decent below the $60k range in the months I've been searching and even then, the $60K homes in that area are tiny. There is some decent stuff in the Hazelwood/Iroquois area and also in the Camp street area that you mentioned, but in terms of bang for your buck Taylor Berry is far and away from anything else in Louisville or Southern Indiana outside of the deep west end. I have looked at some homes in the deep west end but the problem with those areas is that they combine the inaccessibility of New Albany or PRP with the safety issues you find in neighborhoods like Taylor Berry and Shelby Park.


Old Louisville is pretty hard to get into at this point. Most of the small homes in the area have been bought up it seems and I just don't have the resources to spring for a multi-family.
Yea but the price difference with Taylor Berry comes from the fact that gentrification will probably never happen in our lifetime and it's still fairly isolated from east end amenities and a bit far from downtown, so of course it's going to be cheaper. You'd be better off just buying somewhere like Portland if price is your main drive, as between Waterfront West and all money and institutions pouring money into the area, like UofL and Louisville Visual arts things will probably change in ten or so years. Gill Holland even wrote a letter complaining about how the moratorium on funding new hotel rooms within a mile of the Omni would preclude a hotel in Portland, something most people would think of as unthinkable but that he thinks is very realistic. Idk the area has a nice older housing stock but I don't think it has much upside any time soon unfortunately.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top