U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 03:10 PM

9,667 posts, read 7,644,282 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Sheena.

A Hot Brown will be on the menu of most traditional Louisville restaurants, as well as in many other places in Kentucky. It originated at the Brown Hotel, many years ago, and has been extremely popular ever since, understandably so.
There are numerous variations, but a Hot Brown is an open face sandwich, with sliced turkey, Mornaise sauce, grilled tomatoes, two slices of bacon crossed on top, and sometimes ham in with the turkey. It is traditionally served on an oval plate, atop two pieces of bread, one sliced diagonally with the pieces arranged at the sides of the remaining piece to form a base for this extremely delicious, extremely filling Kentucky treat.

Hot Browns seem to taste better in the winter or on cool days than in warm weather, so if you experience a chilly or rainy day while you're in Kentucky, seek out a comforting Hot Brown! Actually, even if the weather is gorgeous and warm for the length of your stay, try a Hot Brown anyway. You won't regret it.

Peter, I know you seldom agree with me - that should be obvious to anyone reading your posts. But even a rabid fan of Louisville like yourself should recognize that there are many additional places outside of the Louisville metro which are well worth a visit, if time allows. In Sheena's case, time - two weeks - certainly WILL allow her to take a few day trips to see some additional places of interest.

By suggesting other things to see and do in our beautiful state, I was not slighting the beautiful and culture-filled city of Louisville - my birthplace and early childhood hometown - in any way. But two weeks in our Commonwealth should provide Sheena with ample time to see not only Louisville's many wonderful attractions, but also to explore a little more of Kentucky that's within a few hours' drive of her base in Louisville, and to get an idea about what Kentucky includes. It will be a richer visit for doing so, and I hope she will consider my suggestions as well as yours, and will thoroughly enjoy her stay as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 03:31 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,112,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Thanks, Sheena.

A Hot Brown will be on the menu of most traditional Louisville restaurants, as well as in many other places in Kentucky. It originated at the Brown Hotel, many years ago, and has been extremely popular ever since, understandably so.
There are numerous variations, but a Hot Brown is an open face sandwich, with sliced turkey, Mornaise sauce, grilled tomatoes, two slices of bacon crossed on top, and sometimes ham in with the turkey. It is traditionally served on an oval plate, atop two pieces of bread, one sliced diagonally with the pieces arranged at the sides of the remaining piece to form a base for this extremely delicious, extremely filling Kentucky treat.

Hot Browns seem to taste better in the winter or on cool days than in warm weather, so if you experience a chilly or rainy day while you're in Kentucky, seek out a comforting Hot Brown! Actually, even if the weather is gorgeous and warm for the length of your stay, try a Hot Brown anyway. You won't regret it.

Peter, I know you seldom agree with me - that should be obvious to anyone reading your posts. But even a rabid fan of Louisville like yourself should recognize that there are many additional places outside of the Louisville metro which are well worth a visit, if time allows. In Sheena's case, time - two weeks - certainly WILL allow her to take a few day trips to see some additional places of interest.

By suggesting other things to see and do in our beautiful state, I was not slighting the beautiful and culture-filled city of Louisville - my birthplace and early childhood hometown - in any way. But two weeks in our Commonwealth should provide Sheena with ample time to see not only Louisville's many wonderful attractions, but also to explore a little more of Kentucky that's within a few hours' drive of her base in Louisville, and to get an idea about what Kentucky includes. It will be a richer visit for doing so, and I hope she will consider my suggestions as well as yours, and will thoroughly enjoy her stay as a result.
I seldom agree with you? I actually thought that you and I agree quite a bit on many issues and topics.

Did I miss something? We are both moderate to progressive Christians, adoption advocates, and we have a share interest in history and older homes.

So, if you would like to meet for lunch - that would be awesome! Send me a direct message if you are interested.

Any word on the Cobblestone?

Old 03-09-2016, 03:45 PM

17,572 posts, read 21,756,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Thanks, Sheena.

Thank you craigcreek. I never knew that you were a "native" although I did know that you lived in the mid-south.

I am so excited! However, I am concerned that The Cobblestone is one of those ut in the middle of no where" hotels. It's new. Bad sign.

I may want to worship somewhere. I am not a conservative Christian. I was brought up in ELCA Lutheran and United Methodist Churches, but currently I am attending a Disciples of Christ / United Church of Christ church because ir is a better fit in this areas.

Since DH will only be around in the evening, would you all suggest that I only visit for one long weekend?

Say Friday through Tuesday?

Old 03-09-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I seldom agree with you? I actually thought that you and I agree quite a bit on many issues and topics.

Did I miss something? We are both moderate to progressive Christians, adoption advocates, and we have a share interest in history and older homes.

So, if you would like to meet for lunch - that would be awesome! Send me a direct message if you are interested.

Any word on the Cobblestone?
My message was directed to Sheena and Peter - Sheena inquired about lunch, Peter was the one who said he rarely agreed with me.

I don't know what "the Cobblestone" refers to... - are you confusing me with another poster?? Or are you Sheena, under another name??

Confused, here...

Old 03-09-2016, 04:02 PM

Sheena:

I live in Central Kentucky, not in Louisville, a little far for me to travel for lunch, unless you are going to be in the Inner Bluegrass (the area around Lexington - Louisville is the Outer Bluegrass).

I am not familiar with the Cobblestone Hotel at all - Peter could probably fill you in, as he is definitely in Louisville!

As for the length of your stay, that depends on what and how much you would like to see and do. A satisfying trip of almost any length could be planned - shorter visit, stay in Louisville; longer trip, see Louisville and a few other things within a couple of hours' drive.

When exactly is your husband going to be in Louisville? April is a lot prettier than March in most of Kentucky, but signs of spring are starting to appear right now - the earliest signs, but most welcome.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:14 PM

6,296 posts, read 13,179,782 times
I had to google "cobblestone." It appears its a newer hotel in exurban charlestown, IN.

Louisville th elargest infrastructure project in the USA right now to build 2 bridges and complete a beltway (265) around the city.

Until that happens, that area is very isolated.

If you PM me, sheena, I will give you the run down on where to go

Old 03-09-2016, 08:51 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 2,486,908 times
Sheena, if you are a bicyclist, I would highly recommend bringing yours. There are tremendous areas to bicycle in southern IN

Old 03-10-2016, 06:53 AM

9,584 posts, read 20,464,174 times
I know right where that motel is because I drive past it to go to walking at Charlestown State Park. That area is in a smaller town of 6k and adjacent to a rapidly growing industrial park that stretches for 7 miles and will have nearly 50k workers at some point. Charlestown mainly has a couple gas stations and fast food restaurants. Charlestown State Park would be worth a visit since you're right there, lots of hiking trails and a nice riverfront area along the Ohio that gives a nice view of the new I-265 bridge from 5 miles away. Your motel location is very safe, just further out. Google maps has it 14 miles from downtown Louisville and 12 miles from downtown Jeffersonville.

Being on the Indiana side I'd add a couple places to go:

* Falls of the Ohio State Park, across from downtown Louisville. 15 miles away
* Deam Lake State Park and Knobstone Trail (hiking and fishing) near Borden IN. $8 entrance fee. 17 miles away
* Huber's restaurant and farm near Borden IN. People rave about their food. 17 miles from Ctown
* Clifty Falls State Park and Downtown Madison. 30 miles away
* Indiana Caverns in Corydon, 35 miles away. Guided cave tour
* Squire Boone Caverns south of Corydon, 45 miles away. Zip lines, cave tour, gift shops.
* Spring Mill, Mitchell Indiana, 50 miles away. Huge 1800s mill.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:33 AM

17,572 posts, read 21,756,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I had to google "cobblestone." It appears its a newer hotel in exurban charlestown, IN.

Louisville th elargest infrastructure project in the USA right now to build 2 bridges and complete a beltway (265) around the city.

Until that happens, that area is very isolated.

If you PM me, sheena, I will give you the run down on where to go

Yes. That's the one. I was hoping to be in Loiusville proper, but it looks as though they put us out in the boonies of Indiana.

I'll send you a DM later on today. And thanks.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:33 AM

6,704 posts, read 4,167,949 times
Even if you don't like driving, I would set aside some time to simply drive around the countryside to the southeast and east of Louisville. Take the county highways, not the freeways. No matter which roads you take, you'll see some "snapshots" that you'll remember fondly for the rest of your life. That's one of the prettier parts of the state, especially that time of year, when spring is just starting to pop out, and if you rent a car with a GPS you can count on it getting you home. Just try to avoid crossing the bridge during rush hour. You won't be rushing much. In fact, I'd avoid the metro freeways during rush hour altogether right now, because there's a lot of construction and they don't really use very stranger-friendly signage.

Feel free to PM me when you're getting ready to come, or when you're here. We have a house in Oldham County (on the east side of the metro) but currently live in a rural area to the southeast, so I split my time a lot between the two areas. If our schedules work out, I'd love to have lunch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area