U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 03:06 AM

17,599 posts, read 21,783,211 times

Advertisements

I can go with him. Or just visit for the weekends. He is going on business.

Will there be enough to do? He will be working in the day, I'll be by myself.

We are interested in art, history, nature, fine and casual dining, interesting local places, sports and music. I don't know if I should stay for a week. Visit on weekends. Or one weekend.

The conference is in about two weeks. What will the weather be like?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 12:16 PM

6,282 posts, read 3,581,664 times
Oh goodness, Louisville has tons to do! There is so much, I hardly know where to begin!

ART - check out these websites

LOOK – SEE,

The Best 10 Art Galleries in Louisville, KY

Louisville Museums and Art Galleries : GoToLouisville.com Official Travel Source

LOUISVILLE | Uptown Art

If you like performing arts

The Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts - OFFICIAL site of The Kentucky Center

Home - Actors Theatre of Louisville

The Louisville Palace Theater

Plus you have things going on all the time at Freedom Hall and the Yum Center.

History

You have some amazingly beautiful historic hotels - The Great Gatsby was inspired in part by some of the Grandeur of
Historic Louisville...I think it was the Seelbach if I remember correctly.

Historic Luxury Louisville Hotels - The Brown Hotel

The Seelbach Experience - The Seelbach Hilton

American Roads Travel Magazine - Inn Roads

And the Grandeur of places like the Louisville Palace.

The Louisville Palace - 80 Photos - Venues & Event Spaces - Downtown - Louisville, KY - Reviews - Yelp

And you have historic Old Louisville and St James Court.

Old Louisville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byHNGxAk3n0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZfdNaemwig

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 03-08-2016 at 12:35 PM..

Old 03-08-2016, 12:31 PM

6,282 posts, read 3,581,664 times
Nature

Louisville has some of the greatest Parks in the country Frederick Olmstead who built Central Park in NYC,
designed the blueprints of a group of Parks in Louisville that are truly all extraordinary.

Frederick Law Olmsted Parks

https://louisvilleky.gov/government/.../cherokee-park

https://louisvilleky.gov/government/.../iroquois-park

E.P. "Tom" Sawyer

You also have Jefferson Memorial Forest, And nearby Bernheim Forest

Fine Dining...Where to begin!?! Louisville is a foodie haven and food lovers dream come true!

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/louisv...-in-louisville

Best Louisville Restaurants - Southern Living

Things to do in Louisville, Louisville Travel Guide | SAVEUR

The weather in Kentucky in March is really sort of unpredictable....usually it leans toward Spring like,
but anything can happen really.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:04 PM

Thank you Crazee Cat Lady! I was not at all insinuating that there is "nothing to do in Louisville" - in fact, it's been on my to visit weekend trip list, for a couple of years.

This opportunity just presented itself. I'm not sure where we will be staying. I won't have a car. So I'll be hotel bound in the day, unless I am in a walkable area. I could take my car, but I am nervous driving around new places.

If we can select a hotel, which one would you choose?

I am in NE Ohio, and I was hoping for some warmer weather. I hope I get lucky! Today it's 69 degrees! But that's freaky.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:30 PM

9,589 posts, read 20,477,839 times
Louisville weather is around 10 degrees warmer than NE Ohio. Our average high by late March is around 60, though it can be much colder or much warmer. Louisville is great in local restaurants and parks, good in museums and arts, and music.

I'd say the following things are best for out of towners to visit

Churchill Downs / Kentucky Derby Museum
Frazier History Museum
Slugger (baseball bat) Museum
Belle of Louisville show boat
Muhammad Ali Center
Historic home tours: Conrad Caldwell House, Zachery Taylor estate, Culbertson Mansion, etc

Nearby: My Old Kentucky Home & distillery tours in Bardstown
Nearby: tour a horse farm near Lexington, Mary Todd Lincoln House, Henry Clay Estate

Old 03-08-2016, 06:05 PM

9,707 posts, read 7,661,442 times
You'll also be reasonably close to the cave country north of and including Bowling Green - Mammoth Cave National Park contains the most famous cave (and much more), but there are many others which are equally beautiful. You could also visit the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green (the sinkhole that swallowed the vintage Corvettes has been filled in, but you can see the cars which tumbled into it - some have been beautifully restored, while other remain in "after the fall" condition).

Frankfort includes the spectacular state capitol building (although I think the legislature will be in session then, which might affect your access), the lovely Old Capitol, and the excellent Kentucky history museum plus historic homes.

Shakertown at Pleasant Hill, a restored early 19th century Shaker village with original buildings and furnishings, plus good food and lots of activities, is not far away - take US 127 (site of the famous sale each August) from I-64 to Harrodsburg, another town well worth a visit, and it is quite nearby.

If you have a little more time, visit Berea, home to Berea College and the arts and crafts capital of Kentucky. Dine at Boone Tavern if you can, visit the Artisan Center, the Log House, and as many working artists' studios as you can manage, or go out and hike up nearby Indian Fort Mountain.

For more outdoorsy experience, visit Bernheim Forest, just west of Louisville and beautiful in the spring.

I assume you'll have access to a car while you're in Louisville, so you can explore some. Lots to see and do in the Bluegrass State!

Last edited by CraigCreek; 03-08-2016 at 06:13 PM..

Old 03-08-2016, 06:17 PM

9,707 posts, read 7,661,442 times
Just saw that you are a little nervous about driving - in that case, choose a downtown Louisville hotel - the Galt House, right next to the Ohio River landing, or the historic Brown Hotel (you absolutely must try a Hot Brown while you're in Louisville), or one of several other nice downtown hotels, so you can walk to nearby attractions, and save the driving for weekends when your husband can get behind the wheel.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:44 AM

6,297 posts, read 13,189,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I can go with him. Or just visit for the weekends. He is going on business.

Will there be enough to do? He will be working in the day, I'll be by myself.

We are interested in art, history, nature, fine and casual dining, interesting local places, sports and music. I don't know if I should stay for a week. Visit on weekends. Or one weekend.

The conference is in about two weeks. What will the weather be like?

Thanks in advance!
I cannot even believe these kinds of questions still occur....it is a metro area of 1.5 million...not cream cheese nebraska! I am not meaning to sound rude, but please search my posts.

Tons of great urban, walkable areas, parks, museums, art galleries, gallery hops, one of the top restaurant scenes in the entire USA. There are all the standard amenities of a larger metro, from malls to sports, to movies to entertainment areas, to boutiques and everything in between.

Just search posts under my name and you will find tons to do. My wife is from Cleveland and with the exception of pro sports, I think there is more to do in Louisville than Cleveland, especially with better weather.

What dates are you coming? I will even be willing to set up an itinerary for you. I strongly disagree with Craigcreek...there's too much to do and see in 2 weeks to leave the metro area and go to rural parts of KY.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Just saw that you are a little nervous about driving - in that case, choose a downtown Louisville hotel - the Galt House, right next to the Ohio River landing, or the historic Brown Hotel (you absolutely must try a Hot Brown while you're in Louisville), or one of several other nice downtown hotels, so you can walk to nearby attractions, and save the driving for weekends when your husband can get behind the wheel.
LOL! I am a little nervous about driving everywhere new. For cities, add an additional 10 anxiety points.

I just found out that we will be at the Cobblestone. We can elect to stay elsewhere, but that would be out of our pocket. So, The Cobblestone it is.

Where is this in relation to all of these awesome places you all have kindly inscribed?
And what, CraigCreek, is a "hot brown"?

Old 03-09-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I cannot even believe these kinds of questions still occur....it is a metro area of 1.5 million...not cream cheese nebraska! I am not meaning to sound rude, but please search my posts.

Tons of great urban, walkable areas, parks, museums, art galleries, gallery hops, one of the top restaurant scenes in the entire USA. There are all the standard amenities of a larger metro, from malls to sports, to movies to entertainment areas, to boutiques and everything in between.

Just search posts under my name and you will find tons to do. My wife is from Cleveland and with the exception of pro sports, I think there is more to do in Louisville than Cleveland, especially with better weather.

What dates are you coming? I will even be willing to set up an itinerary for you. I strongly disagree with Craigcreek...there's too much to do and see in 2 weeks to leave the metro area and go to rural parts of KY.

Peter, I already apologized if it sounded as though I was being at all condescending in relation to Loisville. It has been on my "to visit" list, for quite a while.

I don't live in Cleveland. I am an hour away. And if you think Cleveland is not exciting, try where I live. We go to Cleveland for "excitement". Still, there are some fun things to do in my small city - if you know where to look.

I meant, given our interests, what would be some suggestions?

My DH will be at seminars and meeting in the daytime. I will be alone left to my own devices. Given where we will be staying, is there anyplace I can get to on my own? We will have more time to explore during the week.

Rep to everyone who has helped! CraigCreek, I have given you too much rep recently. Don't worry, as you know, I am good for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area