U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 05:57 PM

4,801 posts, read 3,436,631 times

Advertisements

Crossing into KY from Indiana and vice versa on the newly constructed 65 bridge, is there going to be a toll to cross it eventually? I'm from Chicago and whenever people from Indiana crossed the border into our city, we'd charge them as much as $6 to just get in.

Is the highway authority on that Ohio River stretch of 65 going to cost drivers a toll eventually?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 08:39 PM

798 posts, read 1,937,574 times
Yes. Also on the east end bridge being built.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:16 PM

Well I ain't living in Indiana then.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:02 AM

9,583 posts, read 20,456,271 times
When complete in December there will be 5 traffic bridges. The I-64 and US 31 bridges will remain toll free. The others will have tolls though it's a new booth free system. If you get an easy pass transponder and cross a tolled bridge frequently it's $1 per pass, if you get easy pass but don't cross often it's $2 a pass.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
When complete in December there will be 5 traffic bridges. The I-64 and US 31 bridges will remain toll free. The others will have tolls though it's a new booth free system. If you get an easy pass transponder and cross a tolled bridge frequently it's $1 per pass, if you get easy pass but don't cross often it's $2 a pass.
I have ez pass. But that's $2 a day for me. F that. What is this, the Penna Turnpike?

Old 03-25-2016, 03:03 PM

1,123 posts, read 797,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I have ez pass. But that's $2 a day for me. F that. What is this, the Penna Turnpike?
If you think $2/day is bad, you should be thankful you don't live in the Bay Area. I used to pay $6/day coming back into the city after work over the new Bay Bridge (which is what the Lincoln Bridge was modeled after...without the insanely steep price which made a mockery of CalTrans).

I'm curious how busy I-64 is going to get now when it's the only major artery out of the state that doesn't have a toll (I know the 2nd street bridge is free also, but that's a fustercluck already, not really a major traffic mover...and it might get worse too).

My questions:

- will people go more than a gallon of gas out of their way to save $2? Probably not.

- since there are no booths, how many new jobs is this going to create for bill collectors, because you know there's going to be a percentage of people who won't pay when they get a statement in the mail.

- Will truckers pay the toll, or are they going to exempt delivery trucks that are doing business in one state or the other and not just passing through?

Old 03-25-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
If you think $2/day is bad, you should be thankful you don't live in the Bay Area. I used to pay $6/day coming back into the city after work over the new Bay Bridge (which is what the Lincoln Bridge was modeled after...without the insanely steep price which made a mockery of CalTrans).

I'm curious how busy I-64 is going to get now when it's the only major artery out of the state that doesn't have a toll (I know the 2nd street bridge is free also, but that's a fustercluck already, not really a major traffic mover...and it might get worse too).

My questions:

- will people go more than a gallon of gas out of their way to save $2? Probably not.

- since there are no booths, how many new jobs is this going to create for bill collectors, because you know there's going to be a percentage of people who won't pay when they get a statement in the mail.

- Will truckers pay the toll, or are they going to exempt delivery trucks that are doing business in one state or the other and not just passing through?
Yeah, in Chicago crossing from Indiana would be $12/day for most commuter cars, so I'm glad I sure didn't live in Indiana then, either.

That's why the skyway was ALWAYS clear. People crowded the hell out of the Bishop Ford and Frank Borman.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:34 AM

5,619 posts, read 13,299,372 times
Sometimes tolls are useful for getting people to take public transit though. The tolls into Manhattan are outrageous because the island is already so gridlocked. A lot of people won't pay the toll prices and take public transit, but the rich will always pay. Same in SF. The rich people in the East Bay and North Bay will pay the tolls over the Bay Bridge and GGB. Poor people don't really live in Marin County, though, so GGB isn't well served by public transit. But BART allows East Bay residents to take public transit into the city of SF and not have to worry about parking. It's a terrible system that always breaks down, but it's at least an alternative.

I wasn't aware that Indiana gets tolled to enter Chicago, but they also have a commuter rail line that goes into the city from Indiana.

I'm not all that familiar with similar concepts in other cities, but only LA is a city I can think of that does something like this. We've built a few toll roads that basically just make it easier for rich people to commute. We also installed carpool lanes that charge you by exit depending on traffic. I've seen the toll approach $20 to take the 110N from the 105 to Downtown LA, which is about 13 miles I think. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it caused traffic to worsen for the peasants like me sitting in the regular lanes, while people in Mercedes and Ferraris and Range Rovers and other luxury cars flew by me since paying over $20 round trip daily is pocket change to them.

Tolling the bridges over the Ohio without building adequate public transit infrastructure to serve as an alternative is a serious low blow to the working class families in Southern Indiana. At the minimum, there could be some type of park and ride station built in Southern Indiana that will shuttle people to work in downtown Louisville. If it's $2/day, that's $10/wk and over $30/month. Possibly, if you crossed every day, that could be $60/mo. Allowing people to purchase a monthly pass for say $20 or $25 would ease the traffic and be a cheaper alternative to driving over the river every day.

If something like this has been proposed, or is already in place, I'd love to be corrected. I honestly just don't know enough about Southern Indiana's infrastructure to know if this is a thing or not.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:07 AM

9,583 posts, read 20,456,271 times
Near Chicago the Skyway is a high cost toll road that goes from Gary to the South Side. The busier I-80/94 south of there is free.

If you live in Indiana but work in Kentucky your savings in housing and cheaper car insurance (IN is a No Fault state) more than make up for the cost of the tolls if you can not avoid them. My house would cost 30% more in Louisville. The big losers for the tolls are Kentuckians who shop once a week in Indiana because they won't cross enough to get a frequent user reduced rate. On weekends nearly half the license plates in Clarksville are Kentuckians. There is talk of giving people in the poorest census tracts free crossing. The good news for urban development in Clarksville and Jeffersonville is that the 2nd St bridge will remain free. They're wanting to make that similar to what Newport on the Levee is for Cincy.

I have mixed feeling on tolls. They do hurt poor people since the rate is not based on income. But on the other hand too many Americans think freeways are free and a right, and tolls remind people about the real cost of their lifestyle. Many people view public buses as a gravy train but think nothing of the money used to build roads so they can live 20 miles from where they work.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:16 AM

Isn't KY also a no fault state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area