Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:44 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times

Advertisements

So says the Mayor:

Confederate memorial to be removed from Univ. of Louisville | WCNC.com

I can assure you that this would not happen in any other city in the southeast US (to remove a confederate monument).

While Louisville is a hybrid Midwest and Southern city, this affirms what I have been saying, straight from the Mayor,

"In Louisville, we do not consider ourselves part of the south." Louisville definitely has some southern elements for sure, and it plays this up big time for derby and to sell bourbon and draw tourists, but that is not the true historic structure of the city.

While Louisville is not the true south, most of KY is. That said, KY is less southern than much of the true south. It was never in the Confederacy. Today, KY has 41 confederate monuments in public spaces....this pales compared to most true southern states:

http://www.alabamanews.net/2016/04/2...ate-monuments/

Old 05-01-2016, 12:20 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Strange. You'd think as the Sun Belt is red-hot, those within it (i.e. Southern states) would be clamoring to be included as part of the "South". Good for you to buck the trend, especially if it's true.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:36 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,521 times
Sorry, Louisville is the South. Culturally and linguistically and historically. End of story.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Sorry, Louisville is the South. Culturally and linguistically and historically. End of story.
Haha, I knew this would fire you up. Easy guy. Maybe you can contact Louisville's Mayor and tell him he should not state that his city is not the south?

Old 05-01-2016, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Haha, I knew this would fire you up. Easy guy. Maybe you can contact Louisville's Mayor and tell him he should not state that his city is not the south?
I don't care what the Mayor says. If he says that, he doesn't know his own city.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
I don't care what the Mayor says. If he says that, he doesn't know his own city.
But you are the authority on Louisville? Because you know it so well?

Old 05-01-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
But you are the authority on Louisville? Because you know it so well?
I have facts on my side, something you don't.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
I have facts on my side, something you don't.
The only fact is Louisville was never in the confederacy and was a union stronghold. It is a heavily industrial, irish, german, and catholic city, much like the Midwest. In 1937, it had a Jewish population of almost 15,000. That was unheard of in the true "south" at that time.

Being in the south in 2016 is a good thing as the south is booming. But you certainly do not hear people argue if Jackson, MS is in the south. People argue over Louisville because it is a true hybrid. Most folks in Louisville with accents grew up in rural KY. Long time Louisville natives usually have no accent. Those that do have an "Ohio River Vally" or inland accent. You are mistaking this for Southern but they are 180 degrees different,

Old 05-01-2016, 01:36 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
The only fact is Louisville was never in the confederacy and was a union stronghold. It is a heavily industrial, irish, german, and catholic city, much like the Midwest. In 1937, it had a Jewish population of almost 15,000. That was unheard of in the true "south" at that time.

Being in the south in 2016 is a good thing as the south is booming. But you certainly do not hear people argue if Jackson, MS is in the south. People argue over Louisville because it is a true hybrid. Most folks in Louisville with accents grew up in rural KY. Long time Louisville natives usually have no accent. Those that do have an "Ohio River Vally" or inland accent. You are mistaking this for Southern but they are 180 degrees different,
I hate to break it you, @Peter, but having memorials dedicated to the Confederacy isn't the only indicator of whether a state is Southern or not...

I'm not familiar with Louisville. I have no reason to doubt that it is an outlier of Southern cities; I live in a city that, while richly steeped in Southern history, is very much in this era an outlier amongst Southern cities as well. So that isn't what I'm arguing...

Kentucky is without a doubt a Southern state (I've been to Hopkinsville). The Louisville metro is without a doubt mostly Southern (I have an ex-girlfriend who moved to Elizabethtown from Upstate New York). Louisville City? I only passed through on my way to Indianapolis, but I'm not inclined to believe that its so far removed from its Southern lineage as to believe it is no longer Southern. Everyone I've ever met from there (two people) have seemed and sounded Southern, and everyone I know whose been (about five people or so), no one described it as "un-Southern"...

I've learned through this site that it has heavy Midwest influences, and shares some commonalities with Richmond. I learned through people I know that it is a wonderful and unique city; NOBODY told me they didn't like it. For whatever that's worth...

My overwhelming idea is that most people from the Northeast, West Coast, and Upper Midwest view it as Southern still, while people in the Lower Midwest view it as moreso Midwestern. I think the opinions of Southerners are dependent upon where in the South you are at...

Although I'm torn on the Confederate memorial debates that have been waged across the South in recent years, kudos to the mayor for ripping it down. That takes courage. Kentucky and Louisville didn't have as much bond to the Confederacy as other Southern states, but that still took courage for him to do....

That alone, though, is NOT the only identifier of Southernisms, or whether a place is in the South or not...

Old 05-01-2016, 03:14 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I hate to break it you, @Peter, but having memorials dedicated to the Confederacy isn't the only indicator of whether a state is Southern or not...

I'm not familiar with Louisville. I have no reason to doubt that it is an outlier of Southern cities; I live in a city that, while richly steeped in Southern history, is very much in this era an outlier amongst Southern cities as well. So that isn't what I'm arguing...

Kentucky is without a doubt a Southern state (I've been to Hopkinsville). The Louisville metro is without a doubt mostly Southern (I have an ex-girlfriend who moved to Elizabethtown from Upstate New York). Louisville City? I only passed through on my way to Indianapolis, but I'm not inclined to believe that its so far removed from its Southern lineage as to believe it is no longer Southern. Everyone I've ever met from there (two people) have seemed and sounded Southern, and everyone I know whose been (about five people or so), no one described it as "un-Southern"...

I've learned through this site that it has heavy Midwest influences, and shares some commonalities with Richmond. I learned through people I know that it is a wonderful and unique city; NOBODY told me they didn't like it. For whatever that's worth...

My overwhelming idea is that most people from the Northeast, West Coast, and Upper Midwest view it as Southern still, while people in the Lower Midwest view it as moreso Midwestern. I think the opinions of Southerners are dependent upon where in the South you are at...

Although I'm torn on the Confederate memorial debates that have been waged across the South in recent years, kudos to the mayor for ripping it down. That takes courage. Kentucky and Louisville didn't have as much bond to the Confederacy as other Southern states, but that still took courage for him to do....

That alone, though, is NOT the only identifier of Southernisms, or whether a place is in the South or not...
That's all you had to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area