U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 07:25 PM

4,801 posts, read 3,438,882 times

Advertisements

Soooooo many people say avoid these. Is the crime really that bad? Or is it because insurance fraud is so high that it ends up being not worth the lower cost of living to pay higher premiums? Thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 08:58 AM

23,001 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Soooooo many people say avoid these. Is the crime really that bad? Or is it because insurance fraud is so high that it ends up being not worth the lower cost of living to pay higher premiums? Thoughts???
PRP/Valley Station and SW Louisville in general is more blue-collar and dated and the homes are older than the preferred East End of the city. I don't think it is an area to avoid at all just not the greatest area of the city. If it any consolation to you, I moved to the area as a part of the BRAC move to Ft Knox a few years ago and a lot of the DC area folks chose that part of Louisville for housing as being commutable to Ft Knox but being close to Louisville's amenities.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:09 AM

4,801 posts, read 3,438,882 times
Thank you. Was looking at area codes 72 and 58

Old 04-13-2016, 12:40 PM

9,584 posts, read 20,459,831 times
There's not much difference between Valley Station or PRP, it's a pretty similar area from south of the Gene Snyder Freeway all the way into Shively. It's a mostly working class area with some poor and some rich and a moderate crime level. It's avoided by most people not because of high crime but because 85% of housing was built from 1940 to 1980, the public schools are mostly bad, and it's isolated from the main job centers, hospitals, and best shopping areas.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:51 AM

4,521 posts, read 4,973,430 times
There are some gems in those two areas. Neighborhoods off Arnoldtown and St Andrews roads and Belvins Gap.

One way to find nicer neighborhoods in those areas is to filter real estate websites with higher price ranges. If you could snag a nice house on the edge of the really expensive neighborhoods in those zip codes, you might be surprised and find a good value.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:08 AM

29 posts, read 40,256 times
A nice area in Valley Station is Prairie Village, near Stonestreet road. These are mostly well built homes with a nice size lot and are reasonably priced. As said in the previous post, Arnoldtown Road is also a very nice area and the Windsor Forest subdivision as well as Windsor Lakes subdivision are exceptionally nice neighborhoods. If you want a new home, most of the construction is near Deering Road. Also, Ashby Woods off Ashby Lane is also worth looking at.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:15 AM

86 posts, read 91,415 times
If you were to ask an "east ender," they'll say avoid it. Ask someone who currently lives in the general area like myself, they will say there's no reason to avoid it altogether. I've lived in the Worthington Hills area (far east end, close to the border of Oldham County), Lyndon/St.Matthews border, and currently the Auburndale area (about 5-10min from PRP/Valley). The South End is by no means fancy/full of new homes and development compared to the East, but it absolutely has pros. Homes are older, but a lot cheaper. A home for 130,000 in the South End will easily run WELL over 200,000+ in the East End-hence why it's a general working class down here (i.e. a lot of Ford/GE workers). We do have quite a few nice/bigger homes running for higher prices these days, which in my opinion is a sign that the area is becoming more popular.

The South End is not unsafe in my opinion. It has crime just as the East End does, but my logic is that Louisville is a big city, so you really can't avoid crime. Louisville is the epitome of having good and bad pockets just about everywhere you go. I've been in the South End since 07 and have never experienced any kind of threat other than in a parking lot in Valley Station at 2am..but again, it was 2am. There aren't many huge attractions, so for "fun" stuff, it usually entails driving out east, but to those who make an average salary, the South End gives the ability to live more comfortably. Traffic isn't anywhere near as bad during rush hour/weekends either which is honestly a huge pro if you commute during those times.

I kind of like that the South End has a bad rep. Better than having a "stuck up" one-although assuming the East End is full of snobs is equally as silly as assuming the South End is bad.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:13 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostellic View Post
If you were to ask an "east ender," they'll say avoid it. Ask someone who currently lives in the general area like myself, they will say there's no reason to avoid it altogether. I've lived in the Worthington Hills area (far east end, close to the border of Oldham County), Lyndon/St.Matthews border, and currently the Auburndale area (about 5-10min from PRP/Valley). The South End is by no means fancy/full of new homes and development compared to the East, but it absolutely has pros. Homes are older, but a lot cheaper. A home for 130,000 in the South End will easily run WELL over 200,000+ in the East End-hence why it's a general working class down here (i.e. a lot of Ford/GE workers). We do have quite a few nice/bigger homes running for higher prices these days, which in my opinion is a sign that the area is becoming more popular.

The South End is not unsafe in my opinion. It has crime just as the East End does, but my logic is that Louisville is a big city, so you really can't avoid crime. Louisville is the epitome of having good and bad pockets just about everywhere you go. I've been in the South End since 07 and have never experienced any kind of threat other than in a parking lot in Valley Station at 2am..but again, it was 2am. There aren't many huge attractions, so for "fun" stuff, it usually entails driving out east, but to those who make an average salary, the South End gives the ability to live more comfortably. Traffic isn't anywhere near as bad during rush hour/weekends either which is honestly a huge pro if you commute during those times.

I kind of like that the South End has a bad rep. Better than having a "stuck up" one-although assuming the East End is full of snobs is equally as silly as assuming the South End is bad.
Nice post Kostellic! I agree, the south end, especially Beeechmont, Auburndale, and the hills off arnoldtown rd are beautiful. You need to rep it more here...

Old 05-04-2016, 08:40 AM

86 posts, read 91,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Nice post Kostellic! I agree, the south end, especially Beeechmont, Auburndale, and the hills off arnoldtown rd are beautiful. You need to rep it more here...
Thanks! I'm a big fan of the Arnoldtown Rd area as well. That's usually my route to the Dixie area.

I will try!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area