U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 12:47 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,104,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Wasn't Missouri a slave state?
Being a slave state doesn't make a state Southern from a modern standpoint. C'mon, you know this.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:52 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,040,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Being a slave state doesn't make a state Southern from a modern standpoint. C'mon, you know this.
Although last I checked there have been several widely publicized issues of race surrounding St. Louis and the state of Missouri. Crickets in Louisville and Kentucky at large.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Although last I checked there have been several widely publicized issues of race surrounding St. Louis and the state of Missouri. Crickets in Louisville and Kentucky at large.
There have been issues of race in Illinois and Ohio as well. You and I both know from a modern standpoint that race issues don't make a place Southern. I'm totally exhausted from this argument. Despite massive supporting evidence people still think their opinions trump facts. And please...Louisville a better city than St. Louis? Louisville is a metro of around 1.5 million people. St. Louis is a metro of nearly 3 million people. There is no comparison between the two..St. Louis is rich in culture and history, has more to do, professional sports teams, etc. and has fantastic suburbs spanning many miles. Louisville may be growing more than St. Louis but it still has eons to go before it can ever brag about being in the same league as St. Louis or Cincinnati or Cleveland. It is a small city by comparison to those other three. This argument is getting ridiculous. I've presented the facts. For those of you who disagree, you have no basis to disagree other than your own personal opinion. I have linguistic maps, cultural facts, etc., on my side. One thing I will attest to is that long before sweet tea became a phenomenon in St. Louis and cities north of the Mason Dixon line, it was widely available in Louisville.

Last edited by U146; 05-04-2016 at 01:34 PM..

Old 05-04-2016, 01:22 PM

7,864 posts, read 6,815,901 times
Quote:
Just pointing out that there is at least one pretty strong historic tie (Civil War was a pretty big deal) to the South here. Not totally black and white.not so much commenting on today, as the economy of St. Louis and demographics are certainly more northern than southern. But people who point out some areas are not delusional either.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:22 PM

2,579 posts, read 1,736,673 times
Quote:
Missouri never segregated on buses and water fountains. That's a flat out lie. The only legally mandated segregation was in schools, and even that was already in the process of being phased out by the time Brown vs. Board hit. School segregation occurred in Indiana and Kansas as well and those states aren't the South. Missouri's star on the Confederate Flag is illegitimate. The state supported the Union over the Confederacy by a large margin.
It wasn't a lie, Sir. I have no reason to lie. But I'm glad you said something, so I can have a chance to clear it up. I didn't lie. I miss spoke. I apparently was under the wrong impression that Missouri segregated it's buses and water fountains and I assumed their restrooms as well. My apologies to the people of Missouri.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
There have been issues of race in Illinois and Ohio as well. You and I both know from a modern standpoint that race issues don't make a place Southern. I'm totally exhausted from this argument. Despite massive supporting evidence people still think their opinions trump facts. And please...Louisville a better city than St. Louis? Louisville is a metro of around 1.5 million people. St. Louis is a metro of nearly 3 million people. There is no comparison between the two..St. Louis has more to do, professional sports teams, etc. and has fantastic suburbs. Louisville may be growing more than St. Louis but it still has eons to go before it can ever brag about being in the same league as St. Louis or Cincinnati or Cleveland. This argument is getting ridiculous. I've presented the facts. For those of you who disagree, you have no basis to disagree other than your own personal opinion. I have linguistic maps, cultural facts, etc., on my side. One thing I will attest to is that long before sweet tea became a phenomenon in St. Louis and cities north of the Mason Dixon line, it was widely available in Louisville.

You've presented anecdotal opinion at best, you clearly have a predisposition to have the last word. Your stance on this issue is just as emotionally driven and opinion based as any presented.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Just pointing out that there is at least one pretty strong historic tie (Civil War was a pretty big deal) to the South here. Not totally black and white.not so much commenting on today, as the economy of St. Louis and demographics are certainly more northern than southern. But people who point out some areas are not delusional either.
I agree that historically Missouri and St. Louis have some Southern ties. From a modern standpoint, they don't.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I agree that historically Missouri and St. Louis have some Southern ties. From a modern standpoint, they don't.
Yet from a modern standpoint you cannot excuse Louisville and Kentucky. I can see how you would be an unbiased historian and modern day expert on the subject.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
You've presented anecdotal opinion at best, you clearly have a predisposition to have the last word. Your stance on this issue is just as emotionally driven and opinion based as any presented.
Right...like you can do any better. Please.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Yet from a modern standpoint you cannot excuse Louisville and Kentucky. I can see how you would be an unbiased historian and modern day expert on the subject.
Louisville and Kentucky from a modern standpoint have strong ties to the South AS WELL AS historically. That is different from Missouri and St. Louis, which shed most of their Southern ties awhile back. I can see how you would be a non-expert in this area. Before you try and personally attack me, I suggest you come up with better facts than me. Oh wait, you have none. Go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or