U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 01:17 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,712,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
The only fact is Louisville was never in the confederacy and was a union stronghold. It is a heavily industrial, irish, german, and catholic city, much like the Midwest. In 1937, it had a Jewish population of almost 15,000. That was unheard of in the true "south" at that time.
New Orleans had a much bigger Jewish population than Lousiville back then. So is NOLA not "true south"?

Old 05-01-2016, 01:23 PM

13,983 posts, read 18,773,435 times
I just think people forget that the south, as well as every other region, is diverse.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:38 PM

9,824 posts, read 7,704,654 times
Strangely controversial thread for a moderator to start.

That said, I've always considered Louisville (my birthplace and early childhood hometown) to be an Upper South city. Perhaps a comparison with the closest other Ohio River city of any size might help clarify Louisville's identity: look at Cincinnati. Distinctly Northern-Midwestern, distinctly German, distinctly industrial. Like Louisville, Cincinnati is very much a river city. I lived there for three years, and the differences (between both Louisville and Lexington, cities which have much more in common culturally) were quite apparent to me during that time.

But it's on the other side of that same river. And that does make a difference, despite similar histories and backgrounds. Culturally, Cincinnati is not Southern, despite large influxes of Kentuckians and others from the South. Culturally, Louisville IS Southern, despite its industry, diverse population, and river-city setting.

My understanding was that the monument in question was simply being moved to a new location farther away from the University of Louisville. Has that changed? No matter, the mayor's comment was unnecessary, quite odd and risks being divisive, it seems to me, in addition to being just plain inaccurate.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:23 PM

10,556 posts, read 4,149,761 times
From someone who has visited Louisville a few times and coming from CA, Louisville for me felt much more like the South than the Midwest and that's one of the things I liked about it. The food, speech and general atmosphere at least where I was, was much more Southern than anything else.
That of course doesn't mean Kentucky was part of the confederacy. If history serves me correctly and you can correct me if I'm wrong, the biggest reason why Kentucky did not join the Confederacy is because it would have been immediate suicide for the state and especially Louisville being located on the Ohio River not too far from large industrial northern cities like Cincinnati with much larger populations that would have immediately converged on Louisville and KY in general. Not joining the confederacy was a self preserving move by then the governor of the state.
Again, not being from Kentucky, this is what I've read in history books.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 29 days ago)

5,405 posts, read 2,876,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I just think people forget that the south, as well as every other region, is diverse.
Thank you! It annoys me when people think that a place isn't in the south because it has more than WASPs and slave descendants.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:48 PM

7,932 posts, read 6,864,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Strangely controversial thread for a moderator to start.

That said, I've always considered Louisville (my birthplace and early childhood hometown) to be an Upper South city. Perhaps a comparison with the closest other Ohio River city of any size might help clarify Louisville's identity: look at Cincinnati. Distinctly Northern-Midwestern, distinctly German, distinctly industrial. Like Louisville, Cincinnati is very much a river city. I lived there for three years, and the differences (between both Louisville and Lexington, cities which have much more in common culturally) were quite apparent to me during that time.

But it's on the other side of that same river. And that does make a difference, despite similar histories and backgrounds. Culturally, Cincinnati is not Southern, despite large influxes of Kentuckians and others from the South. Culturally, Louisville IS Southern, despite its industry, diverse population, and river-city setting.

My understanding was that the monument in question was simply being moved to a new location farther away from the University of Louisville. Has that changed? No matter, the mayor's comment was unnecessary, quite odd and risks being divisive, it seems to me, in addition to being just plain inaccurate.
The moderator is a transplant who doesn't quite like the idea of "the south" but wants his new city to be respected by northern folk, so hence threads like this.

I say embrace southernness. The south has many things that I'd rank as better than the north.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:55 PM

4,754 posts, read 1,832,847 times
For all those commenting on Louisville, that don't live here... You don't have a clue.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The moderator is a transplant who doesn't quite like the idea of "the south" but wants his new city to be respected by northern folk, so hence threads like this.

I say embrace southernness. The south has many things that I'd rank as better than the north.
I'll tell you something else from a non Kentuckian looking from the outside inward. When I visited Louisville, I really loved what I saw. The people were generally very friendly, dressed nicely and took pride in themselves in how they appeared and spoke to each other. I could easily see Louisville took great pride in it's history. I took a day trip to Cincinnati, across the river, and it was like stepping into another world. All the charm I saw on the south side of the Ohio River was gone. I couldn't wait to get back to Louisville and back to the "Southern charm" that I found there. I'm planning to move to Kentucky when I retire and I hope it doesn't change too much before I get there.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
For all those commenting on Louisville, that don't live here... You don't have a clue.
I may not have a clue, but what I've posted are my personal observations.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:07 PM

4,754 posts, read 1,832,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I may not have a clue, but what I've posted are my personal observations.
I'm from Cincy. The best part, otr. Lol moved here when I was 14. Did my air guard service and graduated from uofl. Hated it. The I moved to more 'progressive' places. Travelled the world.

Ended up moving back here because, simply, outside the allergies (worst in the world), and now the traffic (grown to big, to fast), Louisville offers everything that I have experienced coast to coast except 2 things: beach and mountains.

But with a plethora of lakes and a couple hour drive, either are easy to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or