U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 11:03 AM

9,665 posts, read 7,629,801 times

Advertisements

Jesse Stuart dealt with the question of whether Kentucky is north, south, east, or west, in his remarkable poem, "Kentucky is My Land". The poem is lyrical, beautiful, and quite lengthy, and I won't quote it here, but those who are intrigued can easily find it online (some online versions are flawed with typos - "rose bud" for "redbud", and so on, so if something doesn't sound quite right, check it out).

I think Mr. Stuart, who knew my family and signed many of his books for us, settled the question quite effectively and thoroughly.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:09 AM

31 posts, read 17,765 times
I'm from NC, and all my family is from NC, SC, FL, GA, or TN.
We consider all of KY to be very southern. In fact some of the richest southern culture has came out of KY and the people from there have very deep southern accents.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:27 AM

2,563 posts, read 1,729,915 times
Kentucky is in the South. I never questioned it. I lived in Albany when I was very young. But i do believe there were alot of people from Pennsylvania who moved to Kentucky back when this country was being settled. A high percentage of Kentuckians could probably trace their family roots back to Pennsylvania.

Alot of people have a thick accent, I'd call it country-Southern, kinda like Loretta Lynn. Then there's another accent in Kentucky that's Southern, but it's not as dectable, or obvious. I'm thinking of country singer Patty Loveless. I hear that same accent in alot parts of Indiana and Ohio. This week they were interviewing people in Southern Ohio, and everyone of those people they talked to, they had that same accent. If they would have said they were from Kentucky, I would not have questioned it. Perhaps it's the Ohio River Valley accent?

Old 05-03-2016, 12:48 PM

7,854 posts, read 6,805,356 times
Looks like Pietro is losing this awful thread.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:13 PM

6,274 posts, read 3,571,701 times
I think Louisville is Southern. I think Louisville is Midwestern. Both really.
I find there to be no insult to the term Southern or Midwestern. I like that Louisville is both - it gives it a character and vibe all of it's own.

I have been to St. Louis and honestly, I think it feels like both also.
That's not an insult, just an opinion.
Are Louisville and ST Louis different? Sure they are -but I do think both share in both Southern and Midwestern
characteristics.

Is Saint Louis Northern or Southern?

During the Civil War Kentucky, like the true border state that it is never officially sided with the Union or Confederacy. We weren't an official Confederate state, yet we did give the Confederacy their President Jefferson Davis, who hails from Kentucky - but we also gave America one of it's most Beloved Leaders and Presidents to
lead the Union during this difficult time. His name was Abraham Lincoln. He was also born in Kentucky...not very far away from where Jefferson
Davis was born. This alone is another indication of being Southern, but yet sort of not...Researching the family tree my family from Kentucky had a lot of Union Soldier in it, but it also had a lot of Confederate Soldiers.

Do a google search of "Southern States" and you will get a hundred different results, most not agreeing
with one another, lol.

Personally, I have always thought of Louisville as a Southern State, but I cannot deny that it does have
a bit of a Midwestern vibe also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZfdNaemwig

Old 05-03-2016, 02:21 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,102,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I'm not trying to debate your southern city stance, but as river cities I feel Louisville is quite a bit more culturally similar to Cincinnati than it is to Atlanta. From manufacturing, to architecture, or the midland southern accents present in both. I don't know if Cinci is a good example of a Midwestern city in this case, it has evidence of both as well.
Cincinnati is south Midland, not Midland Southern. Louisville is purely Southern in accent and linguistic maps prove this. Cincinnatians don't speak with Southern accents at all. Cincinnati has Southern influences just like Louisville has Northern influences but culturally and linguistically Louisville resembles Atlanta more than Cincinnati. I've been to both Cincinnati and Louisville. Cincinnati is culturally Midwestern. Louisville is culturally Southern and Louisvillians speak with Southern accents which is documented and proven by linguistic maps. Cincinnati falls outside of the Southern dialect range. As far as architecture I saw few if any similarities between the two.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I think Louisville is Southern. I think Louisville is Midwestern. Both really.
I find there to be no insult to the term Southern or Midwestern. I like that Louisville is both - it gives it a character and vibe all of it's own.

I have been to St. Louis and honestly, I think it feels like both also.
That's not an insult, just an opinion.
Are Louisville and ST Louis different? Sure they are -but I do think both share in both Southern and Midwestern
characteristics.

Is Saint Louis Northern or Southern?

During the Civil War Kentucky, like the true border state that it is never officially sided with the Union or Confederacy. We weren't an official Confederate state, yet we did give the Confederacy their President Jefferson Davis, who hails from Kentucky - but we also gave America one of it's most Beloved Leaders and Presidents to
lead the Union during this difficult time. His name was Abraham Lincoln. He was also born in Kentucky...not very far away from where Jefferson
Davis was born. This alone is another indication of being Southern, but yet sort of not...Researching the family tree my family from Kentucky had a lot of Union Soldier in it, but it also had a lot of Confederate Soldiers.

Do a google search of "Southern States" and you will get a hundred different results, most not agreeing
with one another, lol.

Personally, I have always thought of Louisville as a Southern State, but I cannot deny that it does have
a bit of a Midwestern vibe also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZfdNaemwig
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've lived in St. Louis my whole life and I've been to the South. We have zero Southern influences in our dialect, demographics, culture, etc...maybe some barbeque, that's it. St. Louis isn't Southern at all and if you believe that you've never been to the South.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Kentucky is in the South. I never questioned it. I lived in Albany when I was very young. But i do believe there were alot of people from Pennsylvania who moved to Kentucky back when this country was being settled. A high percentage of Kentuckians could probably trace their family roots back to Pennsylvania.

Alot of people have a thick accent, I'd call it country-Southern, kinda like Loretta Lynn. Then there's another accent in Kentucky that's Southern, but it's not as dectable, or obvious. I'm thinking of country singer Patty Loveless. I hear that same accent in alot parts of Indiana and Ohio. This week they were interviewing people in Southern Ohio, and everyone of those people they talked to, they had that same accent. If they would have said they were from Kentucky, I would not have questioned it. Perhaps it's the Ohio River Valley accent?
There is no Ohio River Valley accent. The kind of Southern spoken in Kentucky and along everywhere in the Ohio River Valley save Cincinnati, which is not a part of the Southern dialect and this is proven by linguistic studies, is the same Southern spoken in Tennessee and other states of the Upper South. It is a Southern accent. And it doesn't appear in the majority of Ohio or Indiana, once again proven by linguistic studies. It's purely your opinion if you think the dialect covers much of Ohio and Indiana because it doesn't.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:39 PM

9,583 posts, read 20,456,271 times
Louisville does not have uniform accents at all, some natives have Midwestern accents like you'd find in St Louis or Indy, others have Upper South accents, many are in between.

A sample of Louisville natives

Brian Brohm (QB)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TMXgFvw5vY

Jared Hiel, Southern Indiana (Henryville)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAr10XU0p9s

Louisville mayor Greg Fischer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXfOk4TJxUU

Old 05-03-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Louisville does not have uniform accents at all, some natives have Midwestern accents like you'd find in St Louis or Indy, others have Upper South accents, many are in between.

A sample of Louisville natives

Brian Brohm (QB)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TMXgFvw5vY

Jared Hiel, Southern Indiana (Henryville)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAr10XU0p9s

Louisville mayor Greg Fischer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXfOk4TJxUU
Louisville is grouped in with the South on virtually every dialect map that exists and including studies done by professional linguists of the University of Pennsylvania, University of Texas, etc. Not everyone speaks the Southern accent in every Southern city out there, yet the majority of them do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or