U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 07:26 PM

417 posts, read 381,503 times

Advertisements

Trying to get a feel for the state and local taxes (Louisville) for a single retiree (renting in Louisville). I'd be most interested in understanding:

--the local and state personal income taxes on private IRAs (retirement income)--is all retirement income subject to income tax (except social security)?

--total sales tax in Louisville, combined state and local (are groceries taxed?)

-- the annual property tax on cars (or "use" or "excise" tax on cars), 6% of NADA trade-in value on used cars coming into state for the first time. Is this usage fee assessed annually or is it a one-time fee for new registrations in the state?

I looked up the trade-in value of a 2008 civic in average condition ($6,000 on NADA website), and if that amount is the same as the NADA database that the KY dept of revenue uses, then I would be assessed a $360 motor vehicle "usage" tax. Seems high for a small used car that is 8 years old.

Last edited by olderandwiser456; 05-01-2016 at 07:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 08:54 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,946,432 times
Groceries are not taxed. There is no local sales tax, but just a 6% state sales tax. The car tax doesn't mean much to me because I never own expensive cars. The cars I own are usually worth around $10,000. And the annual tax on those is low enough that I hardly even notice it nor remember it. The use tax is only when you bring a car into the state without paying 6% sales tax on it in another state. Hopefully other people will answer your other questions.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:06 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
Trying to get a feel for the state and local taxes (Louisville) for a single retiree (renting in Louisville). I'd be most interested in understanding:

--the local and state personal income taxes on private IRAs (retirement income)--is all retirement income subject to income tax (except social security)?

--total sales tax in Louisville, combined state and local (are groceries taxed?)

-- the annual property tax on cars (or "use" or "excise" tax on cars), 6% of NADA trade-in value on used cars coming into state for the first time. Is this usage fee assessed annually or is it a one-time fee for new registrations in the state?

I looked up the trade-in value of a 2008 civic in average condition ($6,000 on NADA website), and if that amount is the same as the NADA database that the KY dept of revenue uses, then I would be assessed a $360 motor vehicle "usage" tax. Seems high for a small used car that is 8 years old.

I would call an accountant in Louisville on the private IRA question. I am a bit younger (but have started to think about retirement). As far as I know, private IRAs are subject to the usual federal tax, but not local income tax.

Groceries are definitely not taxed at all, unless it is prepared foods (like the salad bar or the rotisserie chicken they cook for you, etc) Your basics are all tax free.

Total sales tax in Louisville is the same as the state of KY, which is 6% (lower than most states)

I have lived all over. I most recently moved to Louisville from FL. I transferred a registration and tag from FL to KY. I did NOT pay any 6% tax so not sure what that is. I only paid like 150 bucks and they gave me a new KY plate and registration and my car is much newer and nicer than yours. This year they charged me like 85 bucks. Unless you have like a Ferrari, your annual car tax will probably be under 100 bucks.

Property taxes are MUCH cheaper here than anyhwere I have lived, and so is car insurance and even health insurance, although outside Louisville, KY has a lot of unhealthy patients (and even in parts of Louisville).

Louisville has top notch hospitals for retirees and very cheap rents

Old 05-03-2016, 07:28 PM

I did look at the retirement benefits in KY, and it turns out that the state offers a nice deduction for retirees.

Kentucky collects income taxes from its residents at the following rates:

2% on the first $3,000 of taxable income.
3% on taxable income between $3,001 and $4,000.
4% on taxable income between $4,001 and $5,000.
5% on taxable income between $5,001 and $8,000.
5.8% on taxable income between $8,001 and $75,000.
6% on taxable income of $75,001 and above.

KY offers a retirement deduction of up to $41,110. It is not indexed to inflation, however. It includes public and private pensions and IRAs, and 401ks.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I would call an accountant in Louisville on the private IRA question. I am a bit younger (but have started to think about retirement). As far as I know, private IRAs are subject to the usual federal tax, but not local income tax.

Groceries are definitely not taxed at all, unless it is prepared foods (like the salad bar or the rotisserie chicken they cook for you, etc) Your basics are all tax free.

Total sales tax in Louisville is the same as the state of KY, which is 6% (lower than most states)

I have lived all over. I most recently moved to Louisville from FL. I transferred a registration and tag from FL to KY. I did NOT pay any 6% tax so not sure what that is. I only paid like 150 bucks and they gave me a new KY plate and registration and my car is much newer and nicer than yours. This year they charged me like 85 bucks. Unless you have like a Ferrari, your annual car tax will probably be under 100 bucks.

Property taxes are MUCH cheaper here than anywhere I have lived, and so is car insurance and even health insurance, although outside Louisville, KY has a lot of unhealthy patients (and even in parts of Louisville).

Louisville has top notch hospitals for retirees and very cheap rents
Thanks for the good info!

Old 05-03-2016, 09:12 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
Thanks for the good info!
Anytime I can help, let me know

Old 05-04-2016, 05:40 PM

4,521 posts, read 4,973,430 times
Default Don't forget homestead exemption

For those over 65 who have primary residence in Kentucky, retired or not, qualify for a homestead exemption but only if you're owning a home vs renting. Over 50% of Louisville doesn't have a mortgage so lots of options to keep saving more if you're eligible for a homestead exemption.

https://jeffersonpva.ky.gov/property...ead-exemption/

I don't like to mention this but if tax avoidance, particularly if you're expecting to have a sizable income, then other states will be more advantageous for taxes. There is a whole forum on retirement with many threads analyzing which states are more advantageous for certain taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area