U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2016, 08:23 AM
 
5 posts, read 3,237 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

^ You are a gold mine of information! I love the look of those places, but we would like to be spending under $800 a month for rent. Only one of us is transferring with an existing job, so we don't know how much the second job will pay.

Any cheaper areas in the Highlands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2016, 07:42 PM
 
6,297 posts, read 13,191,683 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by automaticeyesx View Post
^ You are a gold mine of information! I love the look of those places, but we would like to be spending under $800 a month for rent. Only one of us is transferring with an existing job, so we don't know how much the second job will pay.

Any cheaper areas in the Highlands?
Oh yes, you can get something nice for 800. But not in a "complex." May be a bit older too.

In other parts of town, like old Louisivlle, you can rent luxury for 800.


1406 S Floyd St # 2, Louisville, KY 40208 | Zillow


Still, old louisville varies street by street. Certain parts have a few drug deals, car break ins, and property crimes. Think Ybor City in Tampa but without all the night clubs.

In Old Louisville, the safest and nicest blocks are within 3-4 blocks radius of St James and Belgravia Court

A very hot area with young people who have been priced out of most the yuppie areas like the Highlands or Clifton/Crescent Hill and St Matthews is Germantown.

https://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/5576364309.html

You can rent a pretty decent shotgun house for 800 a month and you get your own home and privacy. Plus, the strip of Goss Ave from the Germantown Mills Lofts to Kroger is becoming a neat little area. I know of 4 businesses opening on that strip in the next 6 months. Certainly Sunergos, Eiderdown, Post Pizza, Four Pegs, Zanzabar, Nachbar, and Monnik Brewery are awesome places. There are also some neat hipster dive spots like Lydia House and Cure Lounge. There is nothing like this area in Florida...they are trying to create this vibe in the Mills 50 and Milk District sections of Orlando but do not have the density nor historic housing stock to do so.


My pick for you that combines safe, walkability, bus and bike access, with a VERY cool walkable urban area is this:

https://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/5503609846.html

In Clifton. Hurry. These types of places fly off the shelf fast!


Even Jeffersonville and New Albany IN have cute little walkable downtowns with great eateries and some bars....they may be an option because they are dirt cheap still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2016, 07:51 PM
 
Location: A galaxy, far far away....
28 posts, read 17,533 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Oh yes, you can get something nice for 800. But not in a "complex." May be a bit older too.

In other parts of town, like old Louisivlle, you can rent luxury for 800.


1406 S Floyd St # 2, Louisville, KY 40208 | Zillow


Still, old louisville varies street by street. Certain parts have a few drug deals, car break ins, and property crimes. Think Ybor City in Tampa but without all the night clubs.

In Old Louisville, the safest and nicest blocks are within 3-4 blocks radius of St James and Belgravia Court

A very hot area with young people who have been priced out of most the yuppie areas like the Highlands or Clifton/Crescent Hill and St Matthews is Germantown.

https://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/5576364309.html

You can rent a pretty decent shotgun house for 800 a month and you get your own home and privacy. Plus, the strip of Goss Ave from the Germantown Mills Lofts to Kroger is becoming a neat little area. I know of 4 businesses opening on that strip in the next 6 months. Certainly Sunergos, Eiderdown, Post Pizza, Four Pegs, Zanzabar, Nachbar, and Monnik Brewery are awesome places. There are also some neat hipster dive spots like Lydia House and Cure Lounge. There is nothing like this area in Florida...they are trying to create this vibe in the Mills 50 and Milk District sections of Orlando but do not have the density nor historic housing stock to do so.


My pick for you that combines safe, walkability, bus and bike access, with a VERY cool walkable urban area is this:

https://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/5503609846.html

In Clifton. Hurry. These types of places fly off the shelf fast!


Even Jeffersonville and New Albany IN have cute little walkable downtowns with great eateries and some bars....they may be an option because they are dirt cheap still.
Hey peter, since you were talking about old Louisville, would you say that old Louisville is safe? is it nice, ghetto, mixed? i'm asking you this question because you seem to be the right person to ask,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2016, 09:10 PM
 
6,297 posts, read 13,191,683 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnelloct10 View Post
Hey peter, since you were talking about old Louisville, would you say that old Louisville is safe? is it nice, ghetto, mixed? i'm asking you this question because you seem to be the right person to ask,
Old Louisville is mixed racially, ethnically, demographically and age wise. Lots of gays and transgenders too. It is a true "big city" neighborhood. Parts have over 10,000 people per square mile. It has some nice corner retail, but lacks a large yuppie retail presence. That is changing. Random violent crime is rare. Petty property crime is not uncommon. Mostly car break ins, minor vandalism. Drug trafficking and some minor prostitution, mostly along the oak street corridor, and mostly just east of I65 and just west of 7th st.

If you have lived in any big city outside yuppy areas, this area is VERY safe. Ie the gentrifying parts of the west loop in chicago, queens, brooklyn, oakland, even most of inner baltimore, DC, etc, are TEN times more dangerous.

That said, if you are from a suburb, or lived in a place like the Highlands of Louisville or Lincoln Park in Chicago, it will feel "dangerous." Certainly if you are from small town KY, IN, or OH, it feels dangerous and thats why these folks living in Louisville will tell you its dangerous. Many of the folks living there moved from CA to escape the rat race and buy a victorian mansion for the price of an 800 sq ft apartment.

It certainly is not dangerous statistically, despite what people will say on here.
Oh, and not all parts of the neighborhood are the same. If you look at a trulia crime map, th areas near st james court and south 6th near there. In general, it is nicer south of oak, and even nicer south of magnolia (more single family homes). You can tell the nicest blocks by walking them.

Old Lou is for you if you like urban, art, history, architecture, students, LGBT, red brick, some grit, electric cafes and dive bars, diversity, ride transit and bikes, and have some common sense street smarts. Certainly living on the third floor of a secure building that locks on the outside is very safe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2016, 02:23 AM
 
Location: A galaxy, far far away....
28 posts, read 17,533 times
Reputation: 29
thanks! you're like a Louisville encyclopedia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top