U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2016, 07:15 PM

5 posts, read 3,224 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are in our twenties, currently living in Florida. We are looking into relocating to Louisville to be closer to his family.

We both love the look of the Lofts, but does anyone live there that could share pictures of how you have it furnished? We are trying to see if we can move with just our personal items and buy furniture once we get up there, and I'd like an idea of what we really need.

Also, are there closets or room for a dresser? How is kitchen storage? Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 09:42 PM

6,272 posts, read 3,571,701 times
I have no idea, maybe these will help a little. Welcome to Kentucky - have fun apartment looking, these apartments look really interesting imo.

Broadway Lofts...Good Idea??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grqwyy5UBZU

Lofts of Broadway - Apartments - Downtown - Louisville, KY - Reviews - Phone Number - Yelp

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvill...temporary.html

Old 05-08-2016, 01:34 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,173,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I have no idea, maybe these will help a little. Welcome to Kentucky - have fun apartment looking, these apartments look really interesting imo.

Broadway Lofts...Good Idea??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grqwyy5UBZU

Lofts of Broadway - Apartments - Downtown - Louisville, KY - Reviews - Phone Number - Yelp

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvill...temporary.html
Crazee....this neighborhood has changed ALOT since that thread.

Forst and foremost, there are no projects nearby. They were razed to created a large new mixed use neighborhood with brand new apartments behind the lofts. Overall, the neighborhood is safe, but of course there is still some "riff raff" that centers around the Chevron gas station and the Chicken King restaurant nearby.

Second, there is a bit more retail closer, especially in the medical district, but most notably, in Nulu, which is 4-5 blocks north.

That said, this still would not be my first choice to live in downtown, or even my first choice if I loved lofts.

Are the industrial lofts a big selling point for you, the OP?

Old 05-08-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Crazee....this neighborhood has changed ALOT since that thread.

Forst and foremost, there are no projects nearby. They were razed to created a large new mixed use neighborhood with brand new apartments behind the lofts. Overall, the neighborhood is safe, but of course there is still some "riff raff" that centers around the Chevron gas station and the Chicken King restaurant nearby.

Second, there is a bit more retail closer, especially in the medical district, but most notably, in Nulu, which is 4-5 blocks north.

That said, this still would not be my first choice to live in downtown, or even my first choice if I loved lofts.

Are the industrial lofts a big selling point for you, the OP?
Thanks for that update! A lot of what I've read about this place is years old.

Yes, I love the industrial look with the hardwood floors and brick exposure. Do you know about any other options? I saw Germantown Mill Lofts, but can't find pricing for their studio size apartments. We would be looking for something around the price of the Broadway lofts.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:22 PM

17 posts, read 10,464 times
I used to go to school right in that area. Not to sound scary or anything, but that specific area does have a lot of crime, and those lofts are in a neighborhood called smoketown. about 4 years ago, this was the 14th most dangerous neighborhood in the nation. Crime in the area, is still a problem and there's almost no good amenities in that area. there is a good area near there called NuLu, which has awesome restaurants, but that area can get crimey also. Are you looking into the downtown area specifically? eventhough PARTS of downtown are up and coming, there still is some higher crime issues in the area. It sounds like to me that you want a trendy urban-like neighborhood? if so I would look into the highlands( neighborhood in Louisville. it's a great place for people in their twenties to live. It also has a lot of cool apartments that are nice and awesome shops and restaurants , Also, I'm sorry i'm saying this, but the building those lofts are in are plain hideous and ghetto looking, I used to drive past this building all the time, it gave me the chills! there used to be a lot of graffiti on that building and a lot of the buildings around that area still do have a lot of graffiti on it. not to sound scary, but the area those lofts are in is not looked upon as positively as other neighborhoods.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerongun95 View Post
I used to go to school right in that area. Not to sound scary or anything, but that specific area does have a lot of crime, and those lofts are in a neighborhood called smoketown. about 4 years ago, this was the 14th most dangerous neighborhood in the nation. Crime in the area, is still a problem and there's almost no good amenities in that area. there is a good area near there called NuLu, which has awesome restaurants, but that area can get crimey also. Are you looking into the downtown area specifically? eventhough PARTS of downtown are up and coming, there still is some higher crime issues in the area. It sounds like to me that you want a trendy urban-like neighborhood? if so I would look into the highlands( neighborhood in Louisville. it's a great place for people in their twenties to live. It also has a lot of cool apartments that are nice and awesome shops and restaurants , Also, I'm sorry i'm saying this, but the building those lofts are in are plain hideous and ghetto looking, I used to drive past this building all the time, it gave me the chills! there used to be a lot of graffiti on that building and a lot of the buildings around that area still do have a lot of graffiti on it. not to sound scary, but the area those lofts are in is not looked upon as positively as other neighborhoods.
I appreciate your bluntness! As I said in the beginning, we don't live in Louisville, so all I have to go off of right now is pictures. We will be visiting in a month to check things out in person.

I will definitely look into the Highlands, thank you for the suggestion! We are looking for somewhere downtown within walking distance of restaurants and local shopping, but not too far from parks etc.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:49 PM

Awww, thanks! And the Highlands is awesome, depending on where you live in the highlands, it can be a 4 mile drive to downtown? but not to bash that neighborhood, but it does struggle with crime. It is sort of up and coming, but you have to tolerate the high crime rate to live there. That being said, Louisville doesn't have a crime rate, so if anything, I don't want to scare you away from Louisville, its a safe city in my opinion. What I would do is try to look up Louisville crime maps to know how to find that right neighborhood that is safe enough. But I must say, if you are young, love coffee shops, music stores, old record store, variety of restaurants, bars, or hey even hookah bars, then the highlands is a perfect place. Downtown has some of that too, but one could say it's a little more rough around the edges. But either way, they're both cool neighborhoods. I actually used to live in the highlands and the school I went to was literally like down the street from that building( the lofts).

Old 05-09-2016, 02:15 PM

9,583 posts, read 20,456,271 times
That area is improving and may eventually be a great urban living bridge between the downtown / hospital area and the Highlands, which is a great urban neighborhood. Right now it's still hit or miss. If you want to be in a gritty area go for it, otherwise you have options in areas that are already fully gentrified.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
That area is improving and may eventually be a great urban living bridge between the downtown / hospital area and the Highlands, which is a great urban neighborhood. Right now it's still hit or miss. If you want to be in a gritty area go for it, otherwise you have options in areas that are already fully gentrified.
It's definitely improving! I remebr like 10 years ago, that area was a totally different story! remember how those really depressing and neglected projects were right in that area? it was kind of scary

Old 05-09-2016, 08:06 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,173,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camerongun95 View Post
It's definitely improving! I remebr like 10 years ago, that area was a totally different story! remember how those really depressing and neglected projects were right in that area? it was kind of scary
Yes.

I think it is misleading to say its "extremely dangerous."

But I think living there defeats the purpose of living downtown. The retail and restaurants that are within 3-5 blocks are not the type middle or upper class citizens will want to patronize. Don't get me wrong, I love some soul food from Shirley Maes or Chicken King, but you get the idea.

Just keep in mind there are MUCH nicer parts of Louisville. That said, if you LOVE industrial lofts and you love cheap rent, you cannot beat Lofts of Broadway. Sweet views, cool "New York" look, and close to literally everything. But I would prepare to use your car alot.

I would say the Germantown Mills Lofts are in a nicer area, yet, there are rough areas just blocks away across railroad tracks. At Least Goss Ave is becoming walkable with a lot of nice restaurants and thrift stores moving in. Germantown is super hot with young hipsters right now. There is really nowhere in FL like it, maybe the Mills 50 section of Orlando.

If you are looking for yuppie, upscale urban, Louisville's Hyde Park/South Tampa or Winter Park FL are pretty much the Highlands, Clifton, and Crescent Hill (on into the heart of St Matthews area).

The area where Lofts of Broadway are, think of areas like Sodo in Orlando. You get the crowd that frequents the nearby trauma hospital, but there is lots of gentrification there like the Lofts of Broadway.

Louisville's "hipster" and more gentrified parts of downtown are around 2nd to 4th and main, and also, Nulu (east Market Street) and Butchertown (east Washington street).

If you are into downtown lofts, there are several that are better IMO:

Home - Whiskey Row Lofts

Glassworks Lofts Apartments in Louisville, KY 40202 - RENTCafé

The Henry Clay | Apartments in Louisville, KY

Guthrie-Coke Lofts | Apartments in Louisville, KY

For the price, safety, and being more walkable, I like the Henry Clay and Guthrie Coke the best.

Also, keep in mind a new urban grocer will open in the Omni Hotel Apartment skyscraper by early 2018 at the corner of 3rd and Liberty, so you may want to be close to there (and Henry Clay and Guthrie Coke are very walkable for groceries there).

There are LOTS of other options, but these are good if you like "complexes" or mid/highrises.

Incidentally, if I were to consider living closer to Broadway which is sort of like an Orange Ave or "OBT" in Orlando, I would certainly look at these renovated puppies, if anything just for the views:

Studio - 2 Bed Apartments | 800 Tower City Apartments

This kind of high rise view in bigger cities rents for 2k plus. In Louisville its yours for 1k.

But as noted, the "premier" urban hoods in Louisville are most certainly Highlands and Crescent Hill/Clifton. The problem is there are fewer complexes, and most rentals are actually in old homes or triplexes (which I prefer but you will need to drive around calling for sale signs or search craigslist).

With that said, if you like the idea of a "complex" and a "pool" while being walkable, you cannot beat these for the price, extreme safety, and urban walkability:

Avenue Apartments | Louisville, KY

This will put you in the heart of a big time urban neighborhood, with access to everything from walking distance including shopping like Urban Outfitters. This is the type of urban area that really does not exist outside South Beach in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or